Install CD with kernel 2.6.14?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lolife
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Install CD with kernel 2.6.14? Reply with quote

I'm running an Athlon64 + Asrock/SiS motherboard with the 965L southbridge. As it is now, no Gentoo installations I know of supports the SATA of the 965L, but I've read that it should from kernel 2.6.14. So, if this is true, is there any "unofficial" minimal install mediums I can use, that use the 2.6.14 kernel? Internet connection is not a problem, so as long as I can have it identify the sata/disks and the network, I can pull everything fresh from the net.
Sir No
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Install CD with kernel 2.6.14? Reply with quote

lolife wrote:
I'm running an Athlon64 + Asrock/SiS motherboard with the 965L southbridge. As it is now, no Gentoo installations I know of supports the SATA of the 965L, but I've read that it should from kernel 2.6.14. So, if this is true, is there any "unofficial" minimal install mediums I can use, that use the 2.6.14 kernel? Internet connection is not a problem, so as long as I can have it identify the sata/disks and the network, I can pull everything fresh from the net.

Maybe you should try the Kororaa install method. Chances are that their new LiveCD is based on the newer kernel you need. Plus this will give you a significant speedup, because you can install most of the prebuilt binary packages first (including X, KDE/Gnome, mail/www clients, office suite, etc), then you can tweak everything as much as you like.

Kororaa is just a different installation method, which gives you a typical Gentoo installation, albeit some choices has been already made. If you don't like something, just change it. And even though it is not supported by the Gentoo officials, one can ask for the support on the forums in the respective Kororaa thread(s).
lolife
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave it a try, but a no-go. The kernel was 2.6.13-something, and it seems that it either 1) didn't come with sata_sis module at all, or 2) the compiled in sata_sis didn't support 965L. Oh well..

:(
garris0n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: amd64 SiS 965 - What a headache! Reply with quote

I just bought an AOpen board with a SiS 965 south bridge, so I had the same missing sata problem. I worked around it by plugging in my only spare IDE drive- a giant 5.25 inch 8.5GB Quantum Bigfoot (the drive that will not die). After installing Gentoo to the IDE drive - and being sure to compile sata_sis into the kernel - I just moved everything from IDE to SATA.

If you don't know how to do this, it goes more or less like this:
Code:
Install Gentoo to IDE
Boot into new 2.6.14-? system
partition /dev/sda
unpack stage 3 tarball to SATA root
Use 'cp -a' all but /dev /proc & /sys from IDE to SATA
chroot into SATA & setup grub
reboot

Sure it's a pain in the ass, but who told you saving Christmas would be easy?
lolife
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do something similar; I will move the harddrive from this computer to the other, VIA based one, which was fully supported by the minimal install CD. From there, I will download and setup everything, and just move it back again. If the Tsunami case I ordered arrives today, I will probably do this today, when I move the whole system. I'll post an update on how it fared.

And merry christmas and a great new year, everyone! :)
garris0n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah- now if I had another amd64 that would have made things simple! You could even compile your own install CD.
lolife
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garris0n wrote:
Ah- now if I had another amd64 that would have made things simple! You could even compile your own install CD.

The other one isn't an AMD64 system, it's a P4 one. But that shouldn't matter AFAIK. As long as you grab the right stage, compile the kernel correctly, and set up grub, you get a booting basic system, and you can take it from there.

I would gladly put together an unofficial updated install CD, but I'm not sure I'm qualified. Haven't much experience with bootable CD's in Linux, and all that. But I might take a look at it :)

edit: Err... With some thought, there will indeed be some problems after chroot, huh? ;)
lolife
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question; If I do everything up to a booting system taking the generic i686 path, boot it up on the AMD64 system, "redo" everything all the way from installing the stage and up to booting system again, what would the pitfalls be?
garris0n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would build an install CD but I simply haven't the time (was supposed to leave an hour ago for our holiday weekend).

Fortunately there are howto's all over the 'net- I have seen them for Gentoo, Debian, Damn Small Linux, Slackware, etc. Google and the Gentoo Wiki are your friends here.

I have no idea about cross compiling or compatibility issues between 32 bit & 64 bit systems, since I am new to the AMD64 world. If anyone wants an unofficial AMD64 CD sometime next week, e-mail me at garrison at codefix dot net.
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-414544.html

The Conrad CD which I host has a 2.6.14 kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: