View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:00 pm    Post subject: DGA with BasiliskII Reply with quote

I've recently starting using BasiliskII (a m68k emulator) and it has the option of going full screen using DGA. The problem I'm running into is that I am only able to do this under root. (I did it for testing purposes to see if DGA was the issue or if it was permissions) As a normal user, when I try to start the application up in full-screen DGA, it tells me that permission is denied.
example:
Code:

XF86DGAGetVideo: failed to map video memory (Permission denied)

and it changes the resolution at times, throwing the error message, then leaving it at the lower resolution that it tries to set it to.. Like right now I'm typing in a 640x480 screen because I just got the error message LOL...

I am using the agpgart but not modularized... not like the modularization would make a difference but you know.

I did change the /dev/agpgart permissions to see if that would change it. I did it through the devfsd.conf by adding in a REGISTER ^agpgart$ PERMISSIONS root.video 665
and adding myself to the video group. (I did HUP the devfsd daemon and checked the /dev/misc/agpgart device for proper permissions) It stopped giving the permission denied error message but even when told to go full screen explicitly it won't...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

UPDATE: After restarting X/Window (after this post) to get my resolution back, I tried basiliskII from the command prompt again and it gave me the permission denied error again. So, I guess the /dev/misc/agpgart permission change didn't do anything after all.

--
Dan
Rylan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming it's not some sort of weird bug, you can use "ctr lalt +" (all keys depressed, not sequential depression) and "ctrl alt -" to cycle through different resolutions. At least that's what I do when a program resizes my display and frags out on me. Of course it will only cycle through resolutions you have defined in /etc/X11/XF86Config
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rylan wrote:
Assuming it's not some sort of weird bug, you can use "ctr lalt +" (all keys depressed, not sequential depression) and "ctrl alt -" to cycle through different resolutions. At least that's what I do when a program resizes my display and frags out on me. Of course it will only cycle through resolutions you have defined in /etc/X11/XF86Config

Thats the thing, i don't have anything other than 1024x768 in my XF86Config lol....

I'm just wondering what device DGA uses, or how it goes about mapping memory... or why it's denying permission as a non-root user?
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: DGA with BasiliskII Reply with quote

arkane wrote:
I've recently starting using BasiliskII (a m68k emulator) and it has the option of going full screen using DGA. The problem I'm running into is that I am only able to do this under root.

The only problem I'm having is getting it to use my Ethernet card. I tried to compile the sheep_net kernel module (the Gentoo ebuild doesn't do this) but it failed I think because it's incompatible with the 2.4.18 source.

Otherwise, I'm quite impressed with it....but the ethernet card is crucial. ;-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: