Gentoo Runlevels wihle booting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravilj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Gentoo Runlevels wihle booting Reply with quote

I have been setting up a server with SuSe on it (dont ask why SuSe... the developers of one of the apps required will only support SuSe).

Anyway I noticed that when SuSe boots after its gone through the boot runlevel it switches to runlevel 5 and loads kdm up while completing runlevel 3. Now this is great cause you can login and such assuming you dont have any network dependent login services (NIS and NFS shares).

So I was wondering if this was possible with Gentoo. Its not as simple as adding xdm to the boot runlevel. dont worry I tried...

Any thoughts?
plasmagunman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Runlevels wihle booting Reply with quote

i don't think there is a solution yet. in /etc/conf.d/rc you can set RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes". it'll try to start some independant services parallel, but it doesn't start x as soon as possible. there were some discussions on this topic, which finally led to development of initng, which can be used already, but is afaik still regarded quite unstable. perhaps you could take a look at the suse-scripts, to check how they work?
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Runlevels wihle booting Reply with quote

plasmagunman wrote:
i don't think there is a solution yet. in /etc/conf.d/rc you can set RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes". it'll try to start some independant services parallel, but it doesn't start x as soon as possible. there were some discussions on this topic, which finally led to development of initng, which can be used already, but is afaik still regarded quite unstable. perhaps you could take a look at the suse-scripts, to check how they work?

I don't think parallel startup is quite what he's looking for, but it works absolutely fine on ~x86 here btw. Shaves 5 seconds off boot time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: