Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dual boot, where did I go wrong before I try again please?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjo123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Dual boot, where did I go wrong before I try again please? Reply with quote

Hope this is the right place.

I had XP Home running and a few months ago I installed Gentoo. Everything worked great, I spent days compiling things just how I wanted them and I was 100% happy with my Linux install.

Over time my windows system was starting to slow down, so yesterday I made the mistake of trying to re-install XP Home.

I've done this numerous times before with various versions of Linux including about 4 months ago, Gentoo. Last time I simply booted from the XP CD, deleted the XP partition, re-created it, re-installed XP, booted Gentoo off of the CD, mounted the partitions etc and re-installed Grub. Everything worked 100% fine.

This time, as soon as the XP install said words along the lines of `setup is inspecting your system/hardware`, the screen went black and nothing happened. It should go blue and then I press F6 to install my Sata drives. I spent hours on this, tried many many things such as recreating the XP MBR. All to no avail.

The only way I could get the XP setup to run was to delete all partitions from the hard drive. As soon as I did this, the XP setup ran fine. I haven't got a clue why this happened, before I spend further days compiling my Gentoo system again, can anyone point me to the probable cause please?

I had the following configuration.

sda1 NTFS
sda2 FAT32
sda3 /boot
sda5 /swap
sda6 /
sda7 /home

AMD 64 3400+
1.5GB RAM
Sata 160GB
Nvidia 6800 GT 256MB
Asus K8V motherboard

I tried deleting all the partitions except for /home but still no good, I had to delete them all.

thanks

Phil
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the problem partition was 4, your extended partition, you would likely have deleted boot, then when that didn't fix it 5-7 because they can't exist without 4.

Since this is a Windows installation question if I'm understanding it correctly, it should probably have been posted in off the wall.
pjo123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

It's a bit of a windows install and a bit of a Gentoo install question :D

At some point I've done something that windows doesn't like. I'm not sure whether what I did related to windows or my Linux setup.

I don't understand how a partition used for Linux can affect a windows install. It was a while ago when I did the Gentoo install and I'm not sure exactly how I did it (I THINK partition 4 was another primary partition, but I could be wrong). Could it be something to do with me using all available free space for Linux and windows needing a few MB?

I appreciate this topic probably has more to do with XP than Gentoo, but I'm trying not to make the same mistake again.

Many thanks

Phil
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjo123 wrote:
I don't understand how a partition used for Linux can affect a windows install.
It shouldn't, but as an example I remember DOS-based versions of Windows not being able to fdisk a certain partition layout that was possible to create with Linux.

pjo123 wrote:
It was a while ago when I did the Gentoo install and I'm not sure exactly how I did it (I THINK partition 4 was another primary partition, but I could be wrong).
I think we're confusing terms. Your 4th primary partition was of type "extended", allowing subsequent extended partitions of type "linux" and "linux swap".

pjo123 wrote:
Could it be something to do with me using all available free space for Linux and windows needing a few MB?
Windows keeps the last cylinder free because some time ago it was supposed to reserved as the "test cylinder", but I don't think anything uses it these days. If you allocated the space for Windows in the installer, then finished partitioning in Linux, you partitioned the same way most (successful) dual-booters do.
pjo123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks

Phil
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: