Wine can't find ntdll.dll.so
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shienarier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Wine can't find ntdll.dll.so Reply with quote

When i type wine on the console i get:

Code:

wine: failed to initialize: /usr/local/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I am using wine 0.9.3, but the problem seems to be present at every version of wine i install.
The right path would be /usr/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you installing wine from portage? I don't see where "local" comes from. You may also need to rename your ~/.wine directory.
YetiChick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know you're not alone... I also have this problem.

Things I've tried:

Removing and remerging wine.
Same, but after emptying the ccache.
Softlinking /usr/lib/wine to /usr/local/lib/wine. This changes the error to:

Code:
wine: failed to initialize: /usr/local/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so: symbol memicmpW, version WINE_1.0 not defined in file libwine_unicode.so.1 with link time reference

Copying /usr/lib/wine to /usr/local/lib/wine, which does the same as softlinking - no surprise.

Examining the ebuild. This last will eventually lead me to the problem, I'm sure, but I've not played with ebuilds much yet. I'm thinking the lib path is either hardcoded in one of the Makefiles or the $(get_libdir) thingy is pulling in the wrong info.

Previous versions appear to have installed in /usr/local/lib/wine/. When I originally noticed this problem, it was because of a dependency oleaut32.dll.so had on libungif. (When I tried to launch a particular Windows app with wine I got an error that oleaut32.dll.so was trying to use libungif, which couldn't be found. Upon examination, I found that there were two versions of wine installed. One in /usr/local/lib/, which had a dependency on libraries that had since been replaced (libungif), and one in /usr/lib which seemed to think it belonged in /usr/local/lib/. I deleted rather than renamed the one with broken dependencies, so I can't check the version. My only excuse is that it was late. :)

I have Crossover Office installed, so this is not likely to be a priority for me. Still, if the above extra information helps anyone point us in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Tracy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: