ALSA and ESI Juli@ - Kernel Panic!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnXa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: ALSA and ESI Juli@ - Kernel Panic!!! Reply with quote

Well topic is little dramatic, but I'v got somewhat funny problem.

I installed two days ago my Gentoo from empty hard drive and did stage1 (where the heck has all the stage1 guides gone? have gentoo stopped supporting stage1 officially? at least I was luckily enought to find stage1 tar ball) wink wink ;)
and now I got that part where you compile your alsa and listen mp3s for rest of your life and live happily around the house...

exept that first time I compiled it was ok, it worked like it should work. I compiled alsa driver into kernel modules and added support for my soundcards. ESI Juli@ is the one and only card I am going to use in linux so I run alsaconf and it went all fine. But when I shutdown my computer it made kernel panic like with big "P", well after while thinking about the situation I noticed that it's alsasound which causes the panic. I remembered couple horror stories from previous linux distros I tried a while ago. Fedora and Debian, both run exactly same kernel panic (maybe in little different places) and it's kind of horrible. I could get sound for a while out of the julia thought it run kernel panic everytime I tried to shutdown or reboot my gentoo. well I ended up taking alsasound service off with rc-update.

So the question is here: how the hell I am going to get sound out of this box so that I don't have to press reset when I try to shutdown this machine?

I know that it has worked nice with ALSA 1.0.7 and I just cannot get into my head why this newer version of alsa behaves like this. I don't think that it is because of my x86_64 because it did that on x86 debian testing.

Thank you all! :)

PS. To let you know I tried to search this stuff from this forum and from google and I couldn't get this resolved... :/
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. weird stuff!

i can only confirm that this card works here since alsa 1.0.9, and the DAC sliders in alsamixer work since alsa-tools 1.0.10 - and i never had a kernel panic caused by alsa here. x86 that is.
AnXa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah but still. I still can kind of laught to it since if I activate alsasound with rc-update now I can get sound out of it , but when I try to boot the computer it will throw the kernel panic directly into my face. :/ And I am running on lastest stable alsa you can get from portage. 1.0.10

EDIT:

Here is input from lspci:

Code:

0000:00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev01)

Note that I have two soundcards, one integrated VIA/RealTek AC97(Via82xxx) chip and ESI Julia pci card.

Last edited by AnXa on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you use alsa-driver, not kernel alsa, right?
AnXa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Debian I tried both a-Kernel and a-Driver, I am running on kernel-alsa at currently in gentoo but it was no go both ways. I can try a-driver in gentoo but I think that it won't do much help at all since it didn't work on debian custom kernel neither.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting... i just managed to reproduce that shutdown oops on unloading alsamodules 8O
well, what means managed.. i upgraded kernel to 2.5.15-rc6 and kernel alsa to 1.0.11rc1 and therefore had to reboot the first time since using alsa 1.0.10 final... so it just happened :P

* unloading alsa modules...
OOPS..
PROCESS 'default.hotplug' ...

something like that... similar to your oops?
unfortunately it wasn't logged, even sysrq-t didn't write to messages :/
AnXa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use cold/hot -plug since udev takes care of most of that already. but sounds quite similar. no traces on system logs and it happens when shutting alsa down. (while unloading snd-module from kernel?? I need to take a closer look to that...)

I am running on stable gentoo-sources, I have -mm but I don't use it for this sort of stuff... :)
And yeah, it just happened. Shit happens. xD
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, i the heck forgot why i am using hotplug... but there has been something..

interesting nr2: just re-emerged alsa-utils-1.0.10 and now it gave me an update to /etc/init.d/alsasound
no idea if that fixes something... will see that the next time i reboot...maybe when 2.6.15 is stable :P
AnXa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It removes stuff from your /etc/init.d/alsasound. I suggest you to take a look you have everything there. :) I don't update my configs without checking out what the heck is updated/removed/moved/added...

It will bring all the stuff back when downgrading or if you write them manually. I experienced this on Debian and Gentoo both.

I'll reboot and try that alsa-driver ebuild...
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it really was a remerge of the same version. that's why i was surprised a bit
and it added some stuff about restoring the settings.
i always take care too, but when it comes to initscripts i mostly trust the devs, and let etc-update overwrite the old ones
AnXa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried to use the alsa-driver ebuild. It's no go. Acctually I had even more problems. I didn't hear any sound at all now. Kernel built modules at least give me some sound. Also it had problems with asound files and.. let's just forget about the alsa-driver package. I have used it before this and I didn't like it then and I still don't like it. :]

Well, I am kind of curious about everything so I kind of know how the initscripts work... ;)

PS. now I can run quake3 and all I need is sound. Like two months ago it was like that I couldn't hear anysound because of the OSS, now it is because I cannot get ALSA working while it was working allmost well two weeks ago...

Please anyone? I don't want to have kernel panic everytime I shutdown the machine because of the alsa...
AnXa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel, I am sorry for making my problems your problems too.. I guess that is really annoying that we can get sound but when shutting down alsa it does that oopps/kernel panix...
AnXa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v got an idea but it doesn't work well...

everytime I start my computer I run alsaconf and start alsasound, after I shutdown I unload all the modules manually and then shutdown alsasound and reboot.

It sometimes makes kernel panic when unloading manually sound modules but works like every second time.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you try hardcompiling in all needed stuff for juli@ and oss emulation? so you wouldn't have to use alsasound at all. there are no module parameters for that one anyway, so...
i got ice1712 (m-audio, 1st card) built in the kernel, ice1724 (juli@) is a module... before i had the juli@ too, i never used alsasound initscript

so try to built in all stuff and remove alsasound from rc
AnXa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea, but how Alsa is going to load all the stuff it needs then? My friends said in another forum said when I was just starting to getting known alsa years ago in 2.6 series of kernel that ALSA has to have it's drivers in kernel compiled as modules. Otherwise it won't work like it should. However if you say it works with compiled in modules it's worth trying...

EDIT: Also it should be discovered why is alsa crashing in kernel panic while unloading drivers. So that the problems won't move in to kernel while booting it. I keep backups but it's shitty to recompile and install modules like nvidia and wlan which aren't in kernel tree.

EDIT: baka baka baka, I am just stypid. It's obiously that while loaded modules won't be unloaded if thet are in kernel build. xD -> going to try it now...
AnXa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give up, it doesn't work. I didn't get anysound anything I did... I returned to back to start square. I can get sound but it will throw kernel panic... it's not oops it's hard kernel panic dammit.... :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: