View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mourphs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Automatic Monitor Probes? Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm installing Xorg, and need to know things like the horizontal sync rate, vertical sync rate, etc etc.

I have no idea what sync rates my monitor supports, and don't even know the monitors full name is, so can't look it up in the Monitors db (it's unbranded, and fairly old (+6 years)).

Is there a way to automatically probe my monitor, to find out these values? I've done some searching, but the only relevant thing I found was SuperProbe for Xfree86, but that seems rather dated...

Many thanks
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there truely no identifying marks on the monitor? That seems quite odd.

Have you tried using xorgcfg?

If you do not trust xorgcfg or for whatever reason it did not work and you are unable to identify the monitor, take your pick of the following:

Try Knoppix (or the like), swipe the X config files for your own nefarious ends. This should work.

Check the monitor there might be an FCC ID number, if there is, feed that number to this search engine http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/ to find the associated model of monitor, then use that data to find the specifications. This might work, FCC ID numbers seem somewhat uncommon on monitors.

If all else fails try SuperProbe (if you can find it). If the monitors is 6 or more years old, why should you care if SuperProbe is somewhat dated? I can not speak to the likelihood of success with this approach.
mourphs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Knoppix Reply with quote

Thanks - I was able to get the rates from Knoppix (it automatically probes the hardware at boot time).

Cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: