View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archvile432
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]firefox keeps crashing (1.5-r3) Reply with quote

Hi, I just updated firefox about a week ago, and out of nowhere it crashed and never opened again, even after remerging it, here is the error it gives me:

Code:

No running windows found
The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 1008 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
firefox-bin exited with non-zero status (1)

I dunno if it is firefox or xorg, but this is being an ENORMOUS pain in my ass, it is the first time it has done this ever, and if im wanting to surf the net I have to get in windows, to get that error I had to copy it to a text file and upload it through sftp to my server, and then copy it from windows to here, hopefully some can understand my frusteration and help if they are willing, thanks in advance.

Last edited by archvile432 on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
aika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this error occuring in other browsers such as regular Mozilla or Epiphany?
"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them."

-Bruce Lee
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Multimedia
archvile432
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, but I have not tried any other browser, I have been working on trying to get it fixed since I posted this morning, but with no luck, I am begining to think that it is something more than firefox or xorg, I tried recompiling xorg, firefox ect. and even tried to downgrade from the latest version of firefox to the previous stable version with no luck. I have no idea what is wrong, anyone have some more suggestions?
aika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. in the meantime to save trouble of saving a text file and copying it over go ahead and try another browser (and if it too fails.. could be a sign of what to shoot for) so you can be in linux when you need to try things or post some output data. Will look into it when I get home today but I will be honest in telling you that your best bet is to wait for a more seasoned user to get you on the right track.

Sorry I couldnt be of more help, we will see what I can dig up when I get off and have gentoo in front of me.
"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them."

-Bruce Lee
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Remove ~/.mozilla and it will work fine, but all your personal info and settings will be lost.
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
archvile432
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. Fish, I have already attempted that and still fails to even load, I also tried running firefox as root(first time ever) with the same error. Still have been trying to get this fixed, any help at all is appreciated.

Thanks.
dedd-morozz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, and have been trying to fix it for two days.

The only way I have managed to start firefox is by starting X as another user, then firefox runs ok, even as the original user after su.

Pretty much the only thing I haven't tried is re-emerging xorg-x11 - I'll probably do that next. I've tried downgraded everything I had recently emerged, including firefox to 1.0.7, gtk, some other x11-library that's probably irrelevant, deleted .mozilla/, ran as root - nothing. It seems like X (or gtk?) somehow "remembers" firefox crashed and won't let it start again - on my system it wouldn't even get to the profile chooser, when run w/ the appropriate option. However, I haven't found what from X's or gtk's settings needs to be cleared.
dedd-morozz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fixed it. 8)

It turned out to be fluxbox's fault. It had added entries for Gecko and firefox-bin to my .fluxbox/apps. Deleting them (while fluxbox is not running - otherwise you can't edit the file) fixed it.

@archvile

Do you use fluxbox, too? Hope this works for you.
archvile432
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do use fluxbox, and it might of been what happend, I upgraded fluxbox around the time I did firefox, I'm going to try this as soon as I can thank you.
archvile432
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]firefox keeps crashing Reply with quote

That did it, thanks alot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: