View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kisil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: can't get X11-DRM to compile [solved] Reply with quote

[edit] Changed subject to more accurately reflect what seems to be the problem, as described in my reply to this post. [/edit]

I'll apologize ahead of time - I'm new to gentoo & linux, so a lot of the following might not be particularly helpful.

I followed a guide to installing ati binary drivers; I haven't been successful yet. I'm using a Radeon 9500 card on an Nforce2 mb, running gentoo 2.6.14-r5 with fluxbox. From my /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

Code:
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[drm] failed to load kernel module "fglrx"
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit failed!

I have no /dev/dri/ at all; I've been unable to find where that reference is.

fglrxinfo shows:
Code:
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa projec: www.mes3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.2.1)

I don't remember installing the mesa drivers, which is odd, but it's entirely possible that I have in trying to do something else.. I am new at this.

My xorg.conf was autogenerated by aticonfig; let me know if anyone would like to see this file. In my kernel, I have /dev/agpgart and nForce/nForce2 chipset built in, direct rendering manager excluded, and frame buffer support excluded.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

-Kisil

Last edited by Kisil on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:27 am; edited 2 times in total
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do some searches around the forum for this issue, and I bet you'll get a few hits.

But out of curiousity, which version of ati-drivers are you using? Most ati-driver packages are not currently tagged as stable, and so you might want to adjust your /etc/portage/package.keywords and download something newer. I'm currently pretty impressed with the latest package; ATI has really improved.

J.

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the mesa drivers usually come with xorg-x11. The reason you are using it is probably because you haven't told it to switch over. Have you followed the guide to setting up direct rendering? It's different than the ati walkthrough.
Kisil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that gets me closer to the problem. I did do that direct rendering install, but I got a compile error building the DRM module (or several), when I tried to emerge x11-drm. The standard message is unhelpful - "this could mean that you are using an unsupported kernel" and I'm not - but the compile error is along the lines of:
Code:
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-20050502/work/drm/linux-core/radeon_i2c.c: In function 'setup_i2c_bus':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-20050502/work/drm/linux-core/radeon_i2c.c: error: '2C_ALGO_ATI' undeclared (first use this function)
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-20050502/work/drm/linux-core/radeon_i2c.] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-20050502/work/drm/linux-core] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.6.14-gentoo-r5'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

There's also a warning about DRM_DEBUG_MEMORY not being defined, near the beginning of the compile.

Thoughts?
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kisil wrote:
OK, that gets me closer to the problem. I did do that direct rendering install, but I got a compile error building the DRM module (or several), when I tried to emerge x11-drm. The standard message is unhelpful - "this could mean that you are using an unsupported kernel" and I'm not - but the compile error is along the lines of:
Code:
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-20050502/work/drm/linux-core/radeon_i2c.c: In function 'setup_i2c_bus':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-20050502/work/drm/linux-core/radeon_i2c.c: error: '2C_ALGO_ATI' undeclared (first use this function)
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-20050502/work/drm/linux-core/radeon_i2c.] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-20050502/work/drm/linux-core] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.6.14-gentoo-r5'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

There's also a warning about DRM_DEBUG_MEMORY not being defined, near the beginning of the compile.

Thoughts?

Hmm...

Checklist:

1) Did you disable DRI and Framebuffer in the kernel? (it should still be able to compile with Framebuffer enabled, but dri might not work after compile is complete. Best if you just disable it now).
2) Are you compiling xorg-drm without the X server running?
3) Did you add your card to make.conf?

Do you need AGPGART enabled in the kernel?

Xorg-drm needs to be compiled in a very specific way or it will fail.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. I'm going to suggest the mods move the post to desktop enviornments, because you'll probably get better support over there. There are also several long-running threads regarding similar topics, which you might want to check out.

J.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Multimedia to Desktop Environments.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Kisil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had, in fact, done all those things; I also noticed, however, that I'm getting errors when I boot the system: error loading agpgart and my nvidia chipset driver. Could this be contributing to my compile error? (and how do I make that go away?), or are there other compile details I should be paying attention to?

Thanks,
Kisil

Edit: this thread appears to be someone having the same compile problem, but I don't understand the solution - switch to ~x86 as in .. emerge with a use flag? I'm hesitant to try without some guidance, as it seems that something like that would be architecture specific - I'm running on an athlon XP chip.

Edit2: Oh. I'm stupid. ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" .
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: