2005.1 Gentoo Install - no Ethernet!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theiss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: 2005.1 Gentoo Install - no Ethernet!! Reply with quote

Hi,

I am trying to install gentoo on my laptop (HP dv1240).
But on boot up from the livecd, I got no ethernet. I had this problem before with 2003.2 (I think), but all I had to do was modprobe 8139 (that was another installation on my toshiba laptop).
This time that trick didn't work.

I read somewhere that I have to disable apic from the BIOS... Well, I went through my bios and there is no option to disable it.

Anyone got any ideas? Without Ethernet = no Internet = no installation.... help!!

Thanks.
moximiliano
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I have the same problem WTF I really tried everything I can think of Ive already gone to two different sites and no one has helped me with it
I have an Acer Ferrari 3200 amd 64 with a BCM4306 I also did the modprobeBCM4306 but just got a FATAL:module not found
bhav2007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean that the device just isn't there, or that your connection doesn't work? Does "ifconfig" list anything?

There is a kernel parameter, i think "noapic", which will disable the apic on the boot cd (I had to do this for my hard drives to work), it should be listed when you look at the list of parameters the cd gives you (press F-something when the cd shows you the prompt to boot).

Maybe you should also check the output of "dmesg" to see if it says anything about your network card. Are you sure that "8139" is the name of the driver module your card needs? If not, you should do some searching to find out exactly which kernel option / module you need. Of course, it is possible to install gentoo without an active network connection. Then you could get networking online with a fully working system, and the sync and compile your programs.

Maybe sections 3 or 4 on this page will help, if you aren't able to get your network card's module while you are installing.

PS: I know the name of the module for a Broadcom 4400 card (like on my laptop) is b44:
Code:
modprobe b44

but I cant say if that is what you would need for a 4306.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moximiliano wrote:
I have an Acer Ferrari 3200 amd 64 with a BCM4306

As far as I know, Broadcom provides no Linux driver support for its wireless chips, so you are pretty much screwed as far as installing with this network interface goes.

Your best bet is to plug-in (use wired ethernet) during installation, or follow the instructions for a networkless installation.

After you have Gentoo installed, then you can setup your wireless using ndiswrapper
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
moximiliano wrote:
I have an Acer Ferrari 3200 amd 64 with a BCM4306

As far as I know, Broadcom provides no Linux driver support for its wireless chips, so you are pretty much screwed as far as installing with this network interface goes.

Your best bet is to plug-in (use wired ethernet) during installation, or follow the instructions for a networkless installation.

After you have Gentoo installed, then you can setup your wireless using ndiswrapper

Broadcom doesn't but there is a reversed engineered driver, albeit with limited functionality. See http://bcm43xx.berlios.de for more information.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Alpin19
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's make a
Code:
# lspci -vt

Find your Eth card and write info about them here. May you can't use a dhcp method.
If it's that really you must configure /etc/conf.d/neton that example:
Code:
config_eth0=( "192.168.0.61 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
routes_eth0=(
        "default via 192.168.0.1"
)

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: