[Updated] dmraid - Fake RAID :: Can't mount Raid Partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wicked Wesley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: [Updated] dmraid - Fake RAID :: Can't mount Raid Partition Reply with quote

Hello there,

I'm installing Gentoo on a new box and I've run into a problem. I have searched the forums and google, but I can't find an answer. I hope anyone here can help me! :)

I just installed Gentoo on a RAID 0 (Fake/Bios Raid), Grub loads, kernel boots, but than dmraid says it can't find any raid drives. The raid drives are accessable from the live cd. Can any of you please tell me what I might be missing? I followed some guides (here on the forums and at the wiki), tried alot of things, but still can't get it to work. Any help would be appreciated!

Well, that's solved, had to put some SCSI drivers in the kernel. I just looked at all the loaded modules of the livecd and put them in my kernel. Please see below for an update on this weird quest; with now a new problem!

Thank you for your time,
Wesley

Last edited by Wicked Wesley on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that your kernel is not able to see the individual harddrives, and therefore the array cannot be found either.

Try compiling into the kernel (not as modules), support for the controller that the harddrives are plugged into.
Wicked Wesley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you were right!! :D Thank you!

Now I get another error;
Dmraid sees my partitions. But when it tries to mount it, it gives an invalid argument error;

#mount /dev/mapper/nvidia_brwgwreg2 /newroot
mounting /dev/mapper/nvidia_brwgwreg2 on /newroot failed: Invalid argument.

And then get into a busybox shell, where mounting also fails if I try it manually.

I can mount a non-raid disk on newroot, or anywhere else. Do you (or anyone else) know what's wrong? I checked for the right FS drivers in the kernel, but it was all there (ext3). And as far as I can tell; I'm the only one with this problem :( There are no logs or something, dmesg isn't avaiable in the busybox shell and I can't locate any other log file.

I beg you all, please help me! :(

Thanks for your time,
Wesley

Last edited by Wicked Wesley on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do liveCD's still work?
Wicked Wesley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep I can mount the partitions with a live cd. Which uses the same version of dmraid, if I'm not mistaking. (I'll check that out to be sure) It has to be something with the raid. I tried other partitions which are located on the raid and it gives the same error. But mount works fine when I try a normal parition (hdb1).

Wesley
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: