Quick Search: in
install gentoo without connection
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: install gentoo without connection Reply with quote

Greetings all Gentooers

Well, I am now at a stage where i'm wanting to go from Slackware to Gentoo. It's been quite a while since i've been reading up about Gentoo and I'm ready to change , no questions asked ( Slackware is just getting to tedious for me at the moment)

I only i have one small thing i want cleared up. Since I am currently living in South Africa at the moment, where ADSL is in it's beta stage and i'm allso currently a student studying computer science without a real internet connection at home ( except my dad's , but he runs Windows and doesn't want me near his Wintendo because i always mess it up). My only real connection is at my College.

Now , when i was using Slackware it was easier because i could download the .tgz and burn it to a cd and install it at home. But now Gentoo uses emerge which does all the installing atomatically ( which i'm gratefull, way to much "./configure && make && make install " for me.

Now , I've read that I can download the portage snapshot and bla bla bla.. but reading through the install guide i have to :

emerge sync
# export CONFIG_PROTECT="-*"
# export USE="-* bootstrap build"
# emerge portage
# unset USE

emerge -p system
(lists the packages to be installed)
# emerge system

emerge sync
# emerge -up world
(lists the packages to be installed)
# emerge -u world

emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources

just some of the thing that i have to do...

Now, is there a place where i can download the sync sources and then put it to the portage directory and Where do i find these sources + where do i download portage?

Sorry if this question sounds tedious , it's just that I'm so wanting to switch to Gentoo but I just a bit wiery on certain issues

could someone maybe just direct me in what to do ( like without installiong a dial-up could i still emerge packages)

thanks for your time
Akuma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I am a 56k user that installed gentoo without a local connection. (Damn DNS problems lol)

If you look on the Download mirrors and pick a server (say perdue USA/FTP)
then go into the snapshots directory. There u can download the lastest portage tree.

then copy it too /usr and then do a tar xvzf portage-****.

And with installing programs, first do a emerge <package name> --pretend
which gives you a list of what it wants to install, then go away get the files, bring em back copy then into the /usr/portage/distfiles and then emerge away :)
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the tip

will try it out and post a reply if i run into any other problems? but, how do i emerge sync if i can't get a source for it?
also , how does one get the source for portage to emerge ( say put the snapshot in) if you need to emerge it ..wo,,,i'm gettin gfinger tide.

hold on//
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: