Don't know how to copy stage3 tarbell!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drayco2000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Don't know how to copy stage3 tarbell! Reply with quote

I have started the Gentoo install from the livecd on one of my machines, and have the luxury of a second machine to get online and ask questions. Thanks to yabbadabbadont I got my 56k serial modem to work with wvdial (even used google to find out how to use vi, like insert text and quit and to take the ; out of the line).

Anyway I have partitioned the disk using cfdisk to the following:
boot partition (I toggled it bootable I assume) and made all of them primary is this correct? size:100mb ext/3 /dev/hda1
Swap partition size: 600mb ext/3 /dev/hda2
Root partition size 60 gb ext/3 /dev/hda3

does the above look good? the instructions keep saying the boot partition holds the kernel? Does it, I don't know where the kernel is, I just put in the livecd and my machine booted? it says cdimage root #
I set the root password, and I've partitioned and I've set up wvdial
Next on #7 of the directions I Mount the partions, when I tried to mkdir /mnt/gentoo it said it already exists, is this because it is on the cdrom?

On sec. 8 "Obtaining the desited stage-x tarball"
it says to copy the tarball of your choice (I'll be using stage3) to /mnt/gentoo

What is the copy command? cp?
In every step of the directions so far, they have given me examples of what to type at the shell, for this copying stage-x tarball they have not, I am clueless, I tried cp /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/stage3.tbz2 /mnt/gentoo
with no luck, can somebody help me? I'm sure this won't be my last question/problem!
credmp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't know how to copy stage3 tarbell! Reply with quote

Hi

drayco2000 wrote:

Anyway I have partitioned the disk using cfdisk to the following:
boot partition (I toggled it bootable I assume) and made all of them primary is this correct? size:100mb ext/3 /dev/hda1
Swap partition size: 600mb ext/3 /dev/hda2
Root partition size 60 gb ext/3 /dev/hda3

The Swap partition should be of type swap, (type 82 via cfdisk I believe)

drayco2000 wrote:

does the above look good? the instructions keep saying the boot partition holds the kernel? Does it, I don't know where the kernel is, I just put in the livecd and my machine booted? it says cdimage root #

You will later compile the kernel from sources and then copy it there.

drayco2000 wrote:

ext on #7 of the directions I Mount the partions, when I tried to mkdir /mnt/gentoo it said it already exists, is this because it is on the cdrom?

Yeah.. the mount point /mnt/gentoo already exists... this is no problem, just mount your root and boot partitions as per the instructions.

drayco2000 wrote:

On sec. 8 "Obtaining the desited stage-x tarball"
it says to copy the tarball of your choice (I'll be using stage3) to /mnt/gentoo

What is the copy command? cp?

Exactly 'cp' is your command, you are in the bash shell at this time, so you can use TAB to complete a command, type: cp /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/stage and press tab a few times, you now get a listing of files and directories to choose from, type in the rest of the filename and end the command with '.' as destination.

When you have the CD as source you don't actually need to do this, but since you will want to stick to the install guide as closely as possible you should still do this.

Regards,

Arjen
drayco2000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoo hoo, the cp command worked, just had to use the right file name, I was using stage3, anyway the correct command for any other newbies out there is:
cp /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/stage3-x86-1.4_rc3.tar.bz2 /mnt/gentoo

I even managed to untar it, but the instructions were wrong in sec. 8, they say to use tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/stage?-*.tbz2 (I replaced the ? with a 3)
I had to use the full file name as in above with the tar command.

Also it says to make sure to use the p option with tar, id the p option included in the -xvjpf command??
drayco2000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks credmp, I didn't know about the tab feature, wow, anyway I didn't end the command with
command with '.' as destination. I just put a space and then /mnt/gentoo and I think it worked, because it reported no errors, and then I was able to untar it as well.

The exact command I used was cp /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/stage3-x86-1.4_rc3.tar.bz2 /mnt/gentoo

then I used tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/stage3-x86-1.4_rc3.tar.bz2

Then the screen went nuts with all kinds of files being unpacked I think.
credmp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great...

The p option preserves file permissions as it says in the directions and it is present in the tar -jxvpf :)....

good luck further on!

regards,
Arjen
drayco2000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have another problem :)
when I try to run env-update, I get the following errors:
/etc/make.profile isn't available; an 'emerge sync' will probably fix this. Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
source /etc/profile.

Then I have a new root prompt / #
when I try to run emerge sync I get more errors:
/etc/make.profile isn't available; an 'emerge sync' will probably fix this. starting rsync with rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo.portage...rsync:getaddrinfo:rsync.gentoo.org 873:temporary failure in name resolution rsync.error:error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(83)

Helpppppp pretty please!
credmp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drayco2000 wrote:
have another problem :)
/etc/make.profile isn't available; an 'emerge sync' will probably fix this. starting rsync with rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo.portage...rsync:getaddrinfo:rsync.gentoo.org 873:temporary failure in name resolution rsync.error:error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(83)

Well, the warning shouldn't be a huge problem... you should be chroot'ed by now right????? :)

anyways... looks like you don't have networking... you need a network connection at this time (you should be dialed in)... run
Code:
/sbin/ifconfig
and you should see your network devices and their properties...

regards,
Arjen
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: