Powerbook G4 5,9 Questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Powerbook G4 5,9 Questions Reply with quote

OK, OK, I just got a new Powerbook G4, and I'll admit I'm loving it. :D I thought I was a Linux Guru type, seeing as I've installed and configured Gentoo multiple times. I must admit though that the ScriptKiddies :lol: at Apple are geniuses. I went trolling through /etc/rc looking for the area that controls the Aqua desktop and I never did find it. As such, I've had a couple questions rolling around in my head lately:

• Does anyone out there know how to disable the Aqua desktop? I'd really like to get my hands around the Darwin/FreeBSD under the hood and not rely so much on the desktop.
  • Is there any way to make the Dashboard Applets stay on the screen while multitasking? I'd really like the weather dashboard and the Foxsports ticker to be up all the time
  • Are there any good free card games out there? i miss Solitaire and Freecell from Windows and I can't replace Aqua with KDE as my Powerbook is too new to "Gentooize."

On the 3rd issue above, my Powerbook will boot the GentooPPC CD, but refuses to mount the CD with the error "No valid boot devices found. waiting for new devices..." I read somewhere on the forums that the CD/DVD Reader/Writer is too new for the CD, so I'll wait until thats repaired before I partition this great machine for Gentoo. If I think of anymore questions, I'll continue this post later on. Say this backlit keyboard ain't too shabby either It's 3:30am here and not a typo in site. 17" @1660x1440 is easy on the eyes too. :)
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking in today. I suppose I'll give this thread a bump :D
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea about the OSX questions, but you'll need to use an updated CD for the new powerbooks, the IDE device changed.

Here's the relevant bug:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=110899
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: