DVD images on hard drive/network drive
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidjneff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: DVD images on hard drive/network drive Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to Gentoo, but I've never solved this with other Linux I've tried (Ubuntu, Fedora).

I have a Raid 5 networked attached Terrabyte server (buffalo). Only supports FTP and Samba, but works OK when I smbmount it. Its full of music, MP4, and DVD images. By the way, as an aside, when I'd just use Gnome to connect to the network drive Totem would play music and MP4 videos, but Mplayer wanted to copy them to the hard drive first! The Samba Mount took care of that mplayer quirk.

I can play real DVDs with Totem and Mplayer, but haven't been able to get DVD images -- the IFO type, I've never tried the ISO image -- to play back in anything.

My Windows Media Center PC can do it and Meedio on a tablet PC can do it. I've even played DVDs on the tablet PC via 802.11g (works OK if you aren't too far away and don't move it around alot). But so far, no luck in Linux. I don't think its unique to the network drive, I would assume the same issue exists if its actually on my hard drive, but I haven't had the free space to try it.

What am I missing? I have a couple old laptops I'm playing with using as "media extenders".

Anyone playing DVDs off a local hard drive? A Networked drive?

Thanks for any enlightement.

I'm generally pretty happy with Gentoo. I started playing with it because Ubuntu was locking up one of the laptps. In general, Ubuntu is fine for the masses, but Gentoo is faster (especially to boot), and as a former programmer/unix administrator/Linux based ISP owner/tweakaholic its now my favorite distribution. With the Totem Gstreamer mess would get straightened out (not just in Gentoo, Ubuntu also has problems with this), but Mplayer is generally working fine.
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you tried to use CIFS instead of smbmount or smbfs?

cheers

SteveB
davidjneff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveb wrote:
Did you tried to use CIFS instead of smbmount or smbfs?

cheers

SteveB

Haven't tried that. I just figured out how to make SAMBA happy :-) Actually, I thought CIFS was just SAMBA in a more industry standard way so didn't think it would make much of a difference. And, of course, I have samba in my global USE flags.

I've generally opened the video_ts.ifo, which is what I point the Windows Meedio program to. The farthest I've gotten is with Mplayer, which says "Bad Magic Number", when it says anything at all. Often it just sits there with a blank screen. All the DVDs were shrinked with DVD shrink though, so are at a variable bit rate. I'm processing something via just the main movie track for my kid's I-Pod now, so I'll see if Mplayer is happy with just a single VOB stream, rather than an entire DVD image.
davidjneff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Can play VOBs Reply with quote

I forgot to mention Mplayer can play the individual .VOB files, or the .VOB files merged together. But it can't simulate the entire DVD experience of menus, special features, etc.

I did pop up the console window in Kmplayer, and saw it threw a video read error when I tried to open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. I know I can merge the VOBs and play the movie, but I want the hard drive DVDs to have the same overall experience as actual DVDs. This is what Windows Media Center Edition and Meedio can do. Of course, in all fairness, my Media Center PC is using the InterVideo WinDVD sub system, and my tablet with Meedio using the NVIDIA DVD player codecs, so it can be tough for open source to compete against big business.

I know it also would make more sense to some degree to just convert them to MP4s, which are smaller and play just fine -- but no menus, chapters, bonus features, etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: