Kernel Panic problem #23,486
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davejay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Kernel Panic problem #23,486 Reply with quote

I'm not the first with a kernel panic, and likely not the last -- I searched the forums extensively, and found a few obvious (in retrospect) errors that I made, but I'm still encountering a kernel panic on reboot.

This is my first Gentoo installation attempt (that is, attempt number six of my first attempt), on an HP 4150 laptop that (according to Eric Olinger's website on the subject) should run Gentoo just fine. I have tried stage 3 and stage 2 installations, and all have failed upon reboot after the kernel begins to load.

I can't give you any log entries, because the kernel panics very early in the boot sequence. Here are the error messages left on my screen (anything that scrolled off is inaccessible):

<1>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000014
printing eip:
c0119087
*pde = 00000000
Oops: 0002
CPU: 0
EIP: 0010:[<c0119087>] Not tainted
EFLAGS: 00010046
(removed -- register hex entries, stack data, call trace -- let me know if that info would help)
Code: f0 ff 46 14 b8 00 e0 ff ff 21 e0 8b 40 20 83 3c c5 04 d4 3f
<0>Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In idle task - not syncing

At this point, the system locks, and the num lock light blinks slowly.

I should note that I had been identifying the processor by the default Pentium III setting in menuconfig up to this last kernel build; I finally corrected my mistake and switched it to Pentium II, but this is the error I get.

Any information (like "this looks like it's the wrong CPU" or "this looks like a typo in foo") would be appreciated...since all the pre-panic information scrolls off before I can get a look at it, I don't even know where to begin looking.

Thanks in advance.
-D
phlashback
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the kernel configured with SMP enabled?

Processor type and features ---> Symmetric muti-processing support

if it is disable it.

If the gentoo live disc boots, then yes your system should be able to run gentoo :wink:

what sources are you using, and how they are configured can make all the difference in these situations.

A possiblity is a hardware problem :( , but that is not as likely.

Although development-sources 2.5 had always given me a problem, I figured it was just problem with the sources, turns out my Mother Board slightly toasted. :evil:. After fixing a leftover board (that happend to mines bib brother :twisted: ) Developmental source all werked almost flawlessly.

So I lucked out :lol:
davejay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: SMP off, still no-go Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to answer. SMP wasn't on, though, so unfortunately that didn't solve my problem. Still open to suggestions! :)
phlashback
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which kernel sources are you using?
gentoo
development
vanilla
acpi
(so many so little time)

Also what are you compiling into the kernel?

I would probibly start by stripping down the kernel. In my experience it is easier to debug a kernel if you strip support for things not completely sure of, in other words just support for keyboard and console and work your way up.. granted I run a fast computer so i dont mind compiling repeatedly :).

It would not be such a bad idea to post the:
Code:
# /usr/src/linux/.config

FYI, just incase you did not already know, you dont have to start from scratch each time, just follow install install instructions (skipping partitioning and making filesystems) untill after you have chrooted your gentoo partitions... I only point this out because I had a freind who ran into kernel trouble and started from scratch over 10 times, and he started from stage 1.

I would try emailing Eric Olinger, and asking him if he did anything special (who knows, some people are generos and will even give what works for them, no garuntee tho :wink: )

Don't give up yet, It may be a matter of time, but once you get it right, new kernels are little problem :lol:

Yet another thing to be sure of is that your bios is updated to the latest revision.

just a hunch, but what happens if you disable power management in the config for the time being (apm, acpi)
davejay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Answers Reply with quote

Thanks for your questions -- here's the deal:

I'm using gentoo-sources. I'll post the .config file tonight. If anyone can paste a stripped-down .config file so I know what NOT to turn off, I'd appreciate it. :) I already emailed Eric, so hopefully he'll get back to me. I do have the latest bios, although I haven't tried turning off acpi support.

And finally, thank goodness, I haven't been doing it from scratch each time. I probably wouldn't have any hair left. ;)

-D
phlashback
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck yet?

I have been working on a few other issues (Recovering clients data -- thanks Winblows :evil: )

Just wondering if you have made any progress, I'll see what I can post as far as a stripped .config... its all just a matter of time (something that seems to have eluded me the past couple of days)

Good Luck
davejay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks for checking in Reply with quote

I actually blew away Gentoo and went to Debian Woody for a bit, to make sure I really understood kernel compiling. I still don't totally grok it, but I have compiled several with much success, and am now reasonably familiar with the kernel options I should be enabling.

I'm in the middle of trying Gentoo again -- hopefully all will go well.
phlashback
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck, kpkg is so much fun :lol:

I am in da middle (testing phase) of a server conversion (from RH to Debian).

My Philosophy if you cant do gentoo, debian is good. At least that is what I tell my freinds.

cya :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: