/home and an external USB HD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idkwiam187
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: /home and an external USB HD Reply with quote

Here is my situation: I have an internal 40 GB IDE drive with a ~20 GB WinXP partition, my ~19 GB Gentoo /, and the rest swap:
Code:
Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *           1        2432    19535008+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2            2433        4762    18715725   83  Linux
/dev/hda3            4763        4865      827347+   5  Extended
/dev/hda5            4763        4865      827316   82  Linux swap / Solaris

I also have a 120 GB external USB hard drive, with 60 GB unpartitioned (and the partitioned space is expendable):
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 123.5 GB, 123522416640 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 15017 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1        7833    62918541    7  HPFS/NTFS

Currently, I have approximately 8.4 GB free on my Linux partition, but I would like to start backing up my DVDs to movie files, stored in /home, which I know would eat that free space up fairly quickly.

I've read about making separate partitions for various mountpoints, ranging from /boot to /home to /usr, but I was just wondering whether or not there would be any big drawbacks/risks to having /home and possibly /usr (since /usr is the biggest space-consumer besides /home) on an external drive.

For regular everyday use (multimedia, browsing, chat, occasional gaming), what other partitions would you recommend to be or personally have set aside from / on separate partitions?

Also, what size, given my purposes, would you assign to /home and/or the other separate mountpoints you would make if you were I?

Thank you for your time, and I apologize if some of these questions have been asked before.
Pizon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've read about making separate partitions for various mountpoints, ranging from /boot to /home to /usr, but I was just wondering whether or not there would be any big drawbacks/risks to having /home and possibly /usr (since /usr is the biggest space-consumer besides /home) on an external drive.

I don't see any reason you couldn't put /usr and /home on an external USB drive. As long as your kernel has proper support for USB storage and you have /etc/fstab configured properly you should be fine. I would probably give consideration to putting /usr/portage/distfiles and maybe /usr/src on separate partitions on the external drive leaving the rest of /usr on your internal hard drive. That way if something happens to break you'll still have access to /usr/bin and /usr/sbin should the need arise. Having /home on an external drive might be handy for usage with multiple computers. Of course, toting around an external hard drive has possible security implications; what would happen to your addressbook, personal accounting software files, etc should you lose the drive or it is stolen?

Quote:
For regular everyday use (multimedia, browsing, chat, occasional gaming), what other partitions would you recommend to be or personally have set aside from / on separate partitions?

I like to put /boot, /home, /tmp and /var on separate partitions and then tweak /etc/fstab for security.

Quote:
Also, what size, given my purposes, would you assign to /home and/or the other separate mountpoints you would make if you were I?

I use the following:

~100MB /boot
~1GB /root
~1GB /tmp
~5GB /var
~15GB /usr
remainder of drive for /home
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: