Parse windows event logs to SQL server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bitwaba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Parse windows event logs to SQL server Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been working on this project at my company for a while. There is a logparser program that windows released that does exactly what we need.

The plan is to have a sql server set up on a freebsd or gentoo box, and also have one of those machines run the log parser program.

I was able to install the LogParser.msi file fine using msiexec. I had to copy the MFC42u.dll from my windows machine to get it to register the logparser.dll properly, but everything worked after the second install attempt.

Just to test it out, I ran:
Code:
$ wine LogParser.exe "SELECT * INTO output.csv FROM \\bflowers\System" -i:EVT -o:SQL
Error: Error enumerating event log registry keys: File not found

I'm not really sure what this error is. I think it might have something to do with not having the proper software to access windows system logs, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any experience with running this program on a *nix box, or can someone point me in the right direction?
think4urs11
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this one is an alternative path you could take to centralize your event logs

PHP-Syslog-NG

Thats what we use (in conjunction with Snare Agent on windows boxes) for approx. 150+ boxes (*nix+Win+etc).
It utilizes a mysql database as backend for the syslog messages.

Any chance to get more informations about your log parser program?
Bitwaba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't come across any more information concerning log parser except more way for it to not work.

I still think I dont have the right software that will allow logparser to connect to the systemlog.

Thanks for the links though. Snare Agent looks like it might be a good alternative to what i was trying to do with logparser.
Bitwaba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Snare agent was a good attempt, but unfortunatly it won't work on all of our servers.

Our WINS, DHCP, and DNS servers are run off one machine, and its event logging is set to high. When snare agent runs, it eats the CPU, and our hostname resolution drops considerably, along with other noticeable side effects.

Anyone know a way to get around this? or should i just keep looking?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: