Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Howto/Support UPDATED 11/10/05! (old)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueDragonX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does anyone have any idea what my problem might be?
SaguratuS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legine wrote:
I read the patch notes. They are enhancing the functionality to better debug Mac OS. In that process the support of older versions falls.

Thats what you are seeing for sure.

I believe that a port is not that easy as it seems at first. World of warcraft is based on the Warcraft 3 engine. To port that engine may more work if the code is anchored deeply in the Windows and Mac OS API. And there fore not easily to port to Linux. I mean. It is easy but timeconsuming...

I believe the Linux market has to be shown bevore Blizzard goes the way of porting to Linux.

My guess is that the Linux note in the binary we see is filed on the servers since they may well run on Linux without any complicated engine to run. But since all came from Warcraft 3 it may be that the one file contains a bit of the server code...

Of course I do not know anything and I may be totaly wrong. But thats not more wrong than the other gossip I hear :D

Cheers
Legine

Actually, it's an entirely new engine. Back in alpha, a linux client had leaked out in one of the patch mpqs. Support for Linux is already there, all that really needs to be done is to compile it and fix anything that broke throughout the patches. In the current client, there are some new strings pertaining directly to Linux, hence why I believe that a new Linux client might already be underway. Blizzard attests that there are no plans for a Linux client (and that the new functions were added for "completeness" (bs if you ask me), so we'll only see with time. Hopefully we'll be able to take apart the x86 Mac binaries at the very least and do some very heavy compatibility workarounds to get it running. Hopefully we'll be able to get the client to use some of the Linux support that already exists, but there's no way of telling until they release them.
SaguratuS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueDragonX wrote:
Well, after messing around with video drivers and whatnot I've managed to get WoW to run on my AMD64 machine. Only problem is, in OpenGL mode not everything shows in WoW. Like, graphics are missing. The button graphics don't exist in the UI but the text is there. When I log in I can see equipment attached to characters but not the characters themselves (imagine shoulders and a pair of daggers floating thru the air).

If I turn off the vertex shaders inside WoW I still don't have UI graphics and can still see text, but now I can see my character, only it's completely black, and so are other characters. If I select a character, however, I can then see the graphics.

Lastly, the last two times I logged in it froze on me, not sure why. My UD rogue is in Tarren Mill and I walked out of the inn and it just froze, like it was trying to process the rest of the zone but couldn't. I'm more interested in fixxing the graphics bugs right now, though.

My system:
AMD Opteron 144 (64-bit Gentoo stage 1 install)
2gb Corsair DDR
ATI Radeon 8500 (using ati-drivers version 8.19.10)
Using Wine 20050930 with the WoW patch given on this thread (made an overlay and called it wine-20050930-r1).

Unfortunately results tend to be mixed when using an ATI card. You might want to try some alternative drivers, or pick up an Nvidia card - ATI drivers really just do not cut it on Linux in most cases, and you'll see serious performance issues when compared to windows.
SaguratuS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack, double post, sorry
Tinyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does the OpenGL target patch in the first post cause the patch process to halt? Am I copying it incorrectly or something?
prg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinyn wrote:
Why does the OpenGL target patch in the first post cause the patch process to halt? Am I copying it incorrectly or something?
how do you try to apply it? did you forget the < ?
patch -p0 < somefile.patch
superk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolie wrote:
Hello guys, first of all i would like to say that thanks to this forum i got WoW up and running almost flawlessly.

I run it now on patched wine-0.9.1 with pthreaded glibc.

There is however one thing that troubles me. From time to time, the game starts to lag heavily - after 2+ hours playing it just drops framerate and behaves as if played on a riva tnt. If i look in console and make top, nothing special shows up. Wine-preloader eating almost 92% of CPU and rest for the rest.

Maybe the memory handling of my system needs to be improved? I have 1GB RAM and 2 GB SWAP.

System is
AMD 64 3000+
Geforce 6800 TDH
1GB RAM

There are no special error messages in console from the WoW.

Does anyone have an idea what it might be?

I run the game "nice -n 19 wine WoW.exe -opengl

i have had that happen, however, after about a min... or less it goes right back to normal.
0.9.2 wine from cvs
AMD64 3200+
Geforce 6800GT TDH
1 GB ram

2.6.13-r3 gentoo kernel
fluxbox

something to add....
does anyone here use aoe spells? i have noticed that i dont have the green ring that shows where the aoe will land, just a blue highlighted hand like you were going to enchant something. *shrug*
Tinyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prg wrote:
Tinyn wrote:

Making a .patch file of it, and adding it to the ebuild
Jengu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy CRAP! The reports of possible linux support do in fact have some credence. Emerge the strings utility if you don't already have it and do this:

Code:

xxxxxx@citadel:~/.wine/drive_c/World of Warcraft$ strings WoW.exe | grep -i linux
Linux
IsLinuxClient

For an MMO, the idea of a linux client isn't quite as costly as it is for other games because 99% of the heavy lifting is done server side. The client represents a tiny fraction of the coding they had to do to make the game.

But saying that in a leaked alpha version there was a Linux version so a client must exist is stretching things a bit far. Chances are the client has been hacked endlessly since that alpha release, and it may not have been updated at all since then. They could even have changed their mind based on how well wine/cedega run WoW (although far from perfectly -- a native release would still definitely be preferable). It's also going to entail extra cost to maintain a linux client. Granted, part of it's already done -- OS X is unix based and the OS X version uses OpenGL, so things wouldn't be as painful as if there were only a windows version, but for Blizzard to justify the cost maybe hard.

P.S. SaguratuS is correct, WoW is not based on the warcraft3 engine. I'm not sure where you got the idea -- if it's the common use of MPQs -- that's true for all blizzard games, even Starcraft which was 2D and obviously must be a different engine. WoW is designed for seamless loading of environments, while War3 was pretty much developed with discrete loads in mind. Also, War3 uses its own scripting language, JASS, while WoW integrates the OSS Lua. So it's really unlikely they're from the same code base.
prg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinyn wrote:
prg wrote:
Tinyn wrote:

okay, so you made an overlay and are trying to emerge it? then there should be some kind of error message. did some whitespace got messed up? do the other patches apply?
Shadows
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadows wrote:
jolie wrote:
There is however one thing that troubles me. From time to time, the game starts to lag heavily - after 2+ hours playing it just drops framerate and behaves as if played on a riva tnt.

I'm not sure, but it looks like a similar behaviour that I experience every now and then, as described in my topmost posting on page 9 of this thread.

Is it exactly after at least 2 hours or does it occur even earlier? Is it still the same if you just log out and log in again? (so that after logout you return to your character selection screen and then just re-log with your current character)

Since for me it occurs at different places and after different play times I haven't been able to track the correct symptoms for that issue so the problem could be repeated as desired, yet.

Well, after some testing I've found out what caused the problems on my machine:
gconfd2

Yes, sounds kinda strange, but that causes the problems. Because of performance issues, I shut down my KDE and start a new X Server with openbox when I want to play WoW. After doing this I realize that the only open processes are gconfd2 and gam_server from gamin (FAM replacement). "Where does gconfd2 come from?" you might ask, since I'm using KDE. It's started by gdm, since I'm using it as the xdm replacement.

With gconfd2 running, the game lags heavily, especially in towns with many players, e.g. Orgrimmar (thankfully, I don't play Alliance characters, so I didn't happen to have the "pleasure" to enjoy the Ironforge Lagshow...). Turning around is a pain in the ass, e.g. pressing left arrow key once results in a random turn between 45° and 180° to the left. After killing gconfd2 and relogging, everything is fine. Orgrimmar still lags, but that's because of my weak HW config, and the lag is constant, meaning that a complete turnaround results in continous steps and therefore makes it possible again to play the game.

Now I know what is causing the problem - at least on my machine - but I don't know why it's causing it. Maybe gamin is the bad guy, but I can't find out since it restarts itself after it got killed, therefore I don't know how to stop it from restarting itself. Documentation says nothing about it, man page doesn't exist and googling didn't get me some anwsers in a decent time.

Anybody else got an Idea how to kill the gam_server?

Update gamin, but still the same problems. Will update gconfd2 and see if it changes for the better.

# 2:
Athlon XP M 2800+ Desktop edition (running on 1.666 and 100 FSB) [was: Duron 800 (Spitfire)], Via KT266, 512 MB SD-RAM, GeForce 3 64 MB, Sound onBoard
Tinyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prg wrote:
Tinyn wrote:
prg wrote:
Tinyn wrote:

okay, so you made an overlay and are trying to emerge it? then there should be some kind of error message. did some whitespace got messed up? do the other patches apply?

Well, I sort of solved it via race condition. (Removed the patch line from the ebuild. Got it started compiling. vi path/opengl_norm.c and edited the one characer in myself before the compiler got to it)

Then other patches all came first, so they were fine. When it got to the opengl patch it barfed, and said to check a file in /var/tmp/portage which is now long gone. But basicly it said that portage tried to use patch -p0, then patch -p1, etc, and every time failed because it could not find the file (opengl_norm.c) which is not true, it was right there...
superk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadows wrote:
Shadows wrote:
jolie wrote:
There is however one thing that troubles me. From time to time, the game starts to lag heavily - after 2+ hours playing it just drops framerate and behaves as if played on a riva tnt.

I'm not sure, but it looks like a similar behaviour that I experience every now and then, as described in my topmost posting on page 9 of this thread.

Is it exactly after at least 2 hours or does it occur even earlier? Is it still the same if you just log out and log in again? (so that after logout you return to your character selection screen and then just re-log with your current character)

Since for me it occurs at different places and after different play times I haven't been able to track the correct symptoms for that issue so the problem could be repeated as desired, yet.

Well, after some testing I've found out what caused the problems on my machine:
gconfd2

Yes, sounds kinda strange, but that causes the problems. Because of performance issues, I shut down my KDE and start a new X Server with openbox when I want to play WoW. After doing this I realize that the only open processes are gconfd2 and gam_server from gamin (FAM replacement). "Where does gconfd2 come from?" you might ask, since I'm using KDE. It's started by gdm, since I'm using it as the xdm replacement.

With gconfd2 running, the game lags heavily, especially in towns with many players, e.g. Orgrimmar (thankfully, I don't play Alliance characters, so I didn't happen to have the "pleasure" to enjoy the Ironforge Lagshow...). Turning around is a pain in the ass, e.g. pressing left arrow key once results in a random turn between 45° and 180° to the left. After killing gconfd2 and relogging, everything is fine. Orgrimmar still lags, but that's because of my weak HW config, and the lag is constant, meaning that a complete turnaround results in continous steps and therefore makes it possible again to play the game.

Now I know what is causing the problem - at least on my machine - but I don't know why it's causing it. Maybe gamin is the bad guy, but I can't find out since it restarts itself after it got killed, therefore I don't know how to stop it from restarting itself. Documentation says nothing about it, man page doesn't exist and googling didn't get me some anwsers in a decent time.

Anybody else got an Idea how to kill the gam_server?

Update gamin, but still the same problems. Will update gconfd2 and see if it changes for the better.

I just noticed something I believe is very simmilar to waht you guys are seeing. and I believe the answer is poor memory allocation by wine. I run fluxbox, so it takes up about 60MB of my 1024. if I run anything else while wow is running, memory gets dumped into my swap space.
And, I think its the memory for wow. Is there a command to prevent this? as I dont mind if my XMMS memory is in swap :P the ouly way that I could fix it after it happened was to reset the machine (which of course is not a solution :D) and not run anything else.
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and changed the wine-0.9.2 ebuild to patch itself to WoW's needs for me. It works for me, your mileage may vary. I thought I'd share it for anyone having problems.

wine-for-wow-0.9.2.ebuild
Code:
# Copyright 1999-2005 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

inherit eutils flag-o-matic multilib

DESCRIPTION="WINE patched for World of Warcraft"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.winehq.com/"
SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/${PN}/wine-${PV}.tar.bz2"

LICENSE="LGPL-2.1"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="-* ~amd64 ~x86"
IUSE="alsa arts cups debug esd gif glut jack jpeg lcms ldap nas ncurses opengl oss scanner truetype xml2 X"
RESTRICT="test" #72375

RDEPEND=">=media-libs/freetype-2.0.0
   media-fonts/corefonts
   ncurses? ( >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.2 )
   jack? ( media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit )
   X? ( virtual/x11 )
   arts? ( kde-base/arts )
   alsa? ( media-libs/alsa-lib )
   esd? ( media-sound/esound )
   nas? ( media-libs/nas )
   cups? ( net-print/cups )
   opengl? ( virtual/opengl )
   gif? ( media-libs/giflib )
   jpeg? ( media-libs/jpeg )
   ldap? ( net-nds/openldap )
   glut? ( virtual/glut )
   lcms? ( media-libs/lcms )
   xml2? ( dev-libs/libxml2 dev-libs/libxslt )
   truetype? ( media-libs/freetype )
   scanner? ( media-gfx/sane-backends )
   amd64? (
      >=app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs-2.1
      >=app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-soundlibs-2.1
      >=sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6
   )"
DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
   sys-devel/bison
   sys-devel/flex
   !app-emulation/wine"

pkg_setup() {
   if use amd64 ; then
      if ! has_m32 ; then
         eerror "Your compiler seems to be unable to compile 32bit code."
         eerror "Make sure you compile gcc with:"
         echo
         eerror "    USE=multilib FEATURES=-sandbox"
         die "Cannot produce 32bit code"
      fi
      if has_multilib_profile ; then
         export ABI=x86
      else
         append-flags -m32
         append-ldflags -m32
      fi
   fi
}

src_unpack() {
   unpack wine-${PV}.tar.bz2
   cd ${WORKDIR}
   mv wine-${PV} wine-for-wow-${PV}
   cd wine-for-wow-${PV}

epatch "${FILESDIR}"/wine-20050524-alsa-headers.patch
   epatch "${FILESDIR}"/winearts-kdecvs-fix.patch
   sed -i '/^UPDATE_DESKTOP_DATABASE/s:=.*:=true:' tools/Makefile.in
   epatch "${FILESDIR}"/wine-20041019-no-stack.patch #66002
   epatch "${FILESDIR}"/wine-wow-fixes.patch
   epatch "${FILESDIR}"/wine-opengl-polygonoffset.patch
}

config_cache() {
   local h ans="no"
   use $1 && ans="yes"
   shift
   for h in "$@" ; do
      [[ ${h} == *.h ]] \
         && h=header_${h} \
         || h=lib_${h}
      export ac_cv_${h//[:\/.]/_}=${ans}
   done
}

src_compile() {
   export LDCONFIG=/bin/true
   use arts    || export ARTSCCONFIG=""
   use esd     || export ESDCONFIG=""
   use scanner || export sane_devel="no"
   config_cache jack jack/jack.h
   config_cache cups cups/cups.h
   config_cache alsa alsa/asoundlib.h sys/asoundlib.h asound:snd_pcm_open
   config_cache nas audio/audiolib.h audio/soundlib.h
   config_cache xml2 libxml/parser.h libxslt/pattern.h libxslt/transform.h
   config_cache ldap ldap.h lber.h
   config_cache gif gif_lib.h
   config_cache glut glut:glutMainLoop
   config_cache jpeg jpeglib.h
   config_cache oss sys/soundcard.h machine/soundcard.h soundcard.h
   config_cache lcms lcms.h
   use x86 && config_cache truetype freetype:FT_Init_FreeType

strip-flags
   use lcms && append-flags -I"${ROOT}"/usr/include/lcms

#   $(use_enable amd64 win64)
   econf \
      CC=$(tc-getCC) \
      --sysconfdir=/etc/wine \
      $(use_with ncurses curses) \
      $(use_with opengl) \
      $(use_with X x) \
      $(use_enable debug trace) \
      $(use_enable debug) \
      || die "configure failed"

emake -j1 depend || die "depend"
   emake all || die "all"
}

src_install() {
   make \
      prefix="${D}"/usr \
      bindir="${D}"/usr/bin \
      datadir="${D}"/usr/share \
      includedir="${D}"/usr/include/wine \
      sysconfdir="${D}"/etc/wine \
      mandir="${D}"/usr/share/man \
      libdir="${D}"/usr/$(get_libdir) \
      dlldir="${D}"/usr/$(get_libdir)/wine \
      install || die

dodoc ANNOUNCE AUTHORS BUGS ChangeLog DEVELOPERS-HINTS README
}

pkg_postinst() {
   einfo "~/.wine/config is now deprecated.  For configuration either use"
   einfo "winecfg or regedit HKCU\\Software\\Wine"
   einfo "This package already applies the mouse-click fix for WoW as"
   einfo "well as the glPolygonOffset reversal.  May break other programs"
   einfo "that have no issues with the standard WINE."
}

wine-wow-fixes.patch
Code:
--- libs/wine/mmap.c.old   2005-06-20 13:43:47.000000000 +0200
+++ libs/wine/mmap.c   2005-10-14 21:49:54.794346832 +0200
@@ -161,6 +161,26 @@

#endif  /* (__svr4__ || __NetBSD__) && !MAP_TRYFIXED */

+static void *get_anon_mmap_null_address(size_t size)
+{
+    static int got_override = 0;
+    static void *low_alloc_ptr = NULL;
+    void * current_low_alloc_ptr;
+
+    if (!got_override)
+    {
+            low_alloc_ptr = (void*)0x10000000;
+            got_override = 1;
+            //printf("gaak!\n");
+    }
+
+    current_low_alloc_ptr = low_alloc_ptr;
+
+    if (low_alloc_ptr)
+        low_alloc_ptr += size;
+
+    return current_low_alloc_ptr;
+    }

/***********************************************************************
  *      wine_anon_mmap
@@ -209,6 +229,9 @@
             return start;
 #endif
     }
+    if ((start == NULL) && !(flags & MAP_FIXED))
+       start = get_anon_mmap_null_address(size);
+
     return mmap( start, size, prot, flags, fdzero, 0 );
 #else
     return (void *)-1;
--- loader/preloader.c.old   2005-06-02 12:30:08.000000000 +0200
+++ loader/preloader.c   2005-10-14 21:51:16.529921136 +0200
@@ -110,7 +110,7 @@
 {
     { (void *)0x00000000, 0x00110000 },  /* DOS area */
     { (void *)0x80000000, 0x01000000 },  /* shared heap */
-    { (void *)0x00110000, 0x1fef0000 },  /* PE exe range (may be set with WINEPRELOADRESERVE), defaults to 512mb */
+    { (void *)0x10000000, 0x00f00000 },  /* PE exe range (may be set with WINEPRELOADRESERVE), defaults to 512mb */
     { 0, 0 }                             /* end of list */
 };

wine-opengl-polygonoffset.patch
Code:
--- dlls/opengl32/opengl_norm.c.old   2005-11-29 08:17:04.000000000 +0000
+++ dlls/opengl32/opengl_norm.c   2005-11-29 08:17:37.000000000 +0000
@@ -2367,7 +2367,7 @@
 void WINAPI wine_glPolygonOffset( GLfloat factor, GLfloat units ) {
   TRACE("(%f, %f)\n", factor, units );
   ENTER_GL();
-  glPolygonOffset( factor, units );
+  glPolygonOffset( -factor, units );
   LEAVE_GL();
 }

Save the two patches to your portage overlay app-emulation/wine-for-wow/files/ directory. You also need to copy wine-20041019-no-stack.patch wine-20050524-alsa-headers.patch and winearts-kdecvs-fix.patch from wine's files folder in portage. Also add app-emulation/wine-for-wow to your package.keywords. Hopefully I haven't forgotten any instructions.
fakeh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: amd64 + ati Reply with quote

I'm trying to play WoW and have encountered a (seemingly) common problem but with a (seemingly) uncommon cause.

I get lots of

Code:

FGLTexMgr: open of shared memory object failed (Function not implemented) __FGLTexMgrCreateObject: __FGLTexMgrSHMmalloc failed!!! fglX11AllocateManagedSurface: __FGLTexMgrCreateObject failed!!

happening just as described in http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_3.14.6.html#174635

however, I already have /dev/shm mounted.

My situation: running amd64 with a 386 chroot with wine installed from CVS (with a patch applied and OpenGL compiled in).

Many thanks for any ideas anyone has.

Dan.

Last edited by fakeh on Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
prg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why the chroot?

and btw, the link isn't working too well
fakeh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed the link.

the chroot as it's the easist way to get wine to compile as 32bit and since I had the environment setup already for other apps that were giving me problems.
there's another way to get wine to compile on 64bit?

(Thanks for the speedy post)

Dan.
prg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know about the cvs version, but you can just emerge 0.9.2 on amd64 and it will build fine.
do an emerge -f wine and create an overlay as described somewhere above.
fakeh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beg your pardon, I'm using Ubuntu, not Gentoo.

However, this seems to be the preminent source of all Linux WoW goodness on the net.

Dan.
prg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, okay, are you sure shm is working in the chroot, that is, is it mounted there?
mount -o bind /dev/shm /chroot/dev/shm

edit: nvm that, i'm just too tired to read your posts...

try to figure out how to compile 32bit stuff on ubuntu...

edit2: maybe configure with CC=gcc32 if you should have that
fakeh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, fixed it. I was silly and got my chroots muddled. It was indeed the shm mounting.

Edit: yea, you can compile wine on 64 bit arch with setting CFLAGS=-m32 before ./configure

Dan

Last edited by fakeh on Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
TiceMan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the wow folder? I can't find it
superk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to ~/.wine/dosdrives

find the symbolic link to c:

that should point you in the right direction ;)
jolie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: The problem is still there. Reply with quote

So.

I tried the Ck-kernels. Same problem as before. The system starts to lag after a random amount of time. With a fresh vanilla installation of WoW. The same problem. If the system lags and i change to console to see the CPU usage it says that the wine-preloader uses just 2.9%, just as if some other process decided that he doesnt need anymore. There is no other process eating the CPU power though. Maybe some idle-detecting-daemon??

I tried to use the kernel config which was posted here a on the previous page with small modifications for my hardware. Same problem. What i discovered is, that on my system, even fresh after the lagging has started, the system uses 998 Memory in buffers/cache out of possible 1024 and that the swap uses only 480MB out of the possible 1.5GB!! Why dont he use more?

I even made a full emerge -uDp world to make the system uptodate. Of course with the exception of nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx which are the newest, because the 1.6** row doesnt appear to install correctly on an AMD64 machine - thats mine.

I though maybe of posting all my installed packages here, but dont know how to list them easily. So anyway. Maybe there is a different bug there, everyone misses as maybe totally noob for him.

CFLAGS="-march=k8 -pipe -O2"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="3dnow X alsa arts acpi kde -gnome arts 3dnowext mmx divx4linux win32codecs xvid opengl dvd gtk nptl bitmap-fonts truetype-fonts type1-fonts"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"

maybe the problem could be hidden here?

And i tried KDE and Windowmaker. The problem is same in both enviroments. Even though the first one is hugley lightweighted compared to KDE. I really dont know where might be the problem.

I am willing to repair this problem. But right now i am not far from emerging qtparted and installing a dualboot Xp fro the WoW. There must be a way though to make it work, if everyone else doesnt have such problems. Damn.
prg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my make.conf is the same (except for the use-flags, of course), that shouldn't be the problem
does this also happen with an unpatched wine?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 12 of 18

Jump to: