Udev and coldplug maybe?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Udev and coldplug maybe? Reply with quote

Well I hate to post, but I have no clue what I did.

It dawned upon me that udev might have a permissions problem on my machine; I have no 3D support.
So I began looking around and happenmed to see that coldplug should be installed. Hotplug was long installed.

I was trying to create a /etc/udev/ruled.d/10-local.rules file per suggestion and not altering the default files.
When I next rebooted boot is fine until what appears to be the xserver tries to start. I still have SuSE 9.0 and have used grub from that install with no problems. But now rather than boot to a terminal as I have long done Xorg tries to start and freezes at the splashcreen and more.

The only thing I did new was coldplug so I'm wondering what I can do to turn it off as I am unable to uninstall.
My kernel is 2.6.14-gentoo-r4 with Xorg-8.8.2-r6.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Please!

An yes I did not make a boot disk, but I have access on the same machine through Gentoo fromother partitions with a 2,4 kernel.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
kais
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Udev and coldplug maybe? Reply with quote

you can turn it off by

Code:
rc-update del coldplug boot

and to reenable it again

Code:

rc-update add coldplug boot

are you sure your 10udev-rules are creating the right devices where other apps/scripts are looking for?may be, you have to create some symlinks form your devices (created by udev-rules) to standard names to get all your system working.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do the same for X
Code:
rc-update del xdm

so you start in console and you can manually start X and see any errors messages.

You could also post
Code:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

which will help us greatly.

I would be incredibly surprised if the addition of coldplug changed any device nodes related to the X server.
Maybe post the udev rules you made to be certain.
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: udev problem Reply with quote

With regrets I must say that I am unable to even get to a terminal, before the box begins to start the xserver, or what I think maybe the xserver. As far as I am able to tell it locks up hard. I should mention that initially the splash screen which is distorted, it's the SuSE 9.0 grub screen is the typiucal obverse pixelated view. After a short time period it changes to something else zand locks hard, I'm guessing.

Searching the forums I note some problem with udev where the fix seems to be the following

#emerge --unmerge udev
#rm -r /etc/udev
#emerge udev

I would even try that were I able to get to a terminal, but I am unable.

I have more searching to do, but one issue that has crossed my mind is a default
/etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions as well as
/etc/udev/permissions.d/30-svgalib.permissions

Looking at the ones on that Gentoo install 50-udev.permissions has only one entry and that is

# console devices
console:root:tty:0600

As to the rules I was making the only one I did make was to include my Mini Cruzer 512. I did not edit the default rules per suggestions. I assumed that this would leave those in place according to all the docs I read.

I've checked the last Xorg.0.log and I do not believe that is shows any indication that Xorg is starting, but I'll have to keep watching just in case.

I'm going to search the forums, but just in case could you post or PM me with the permissions you use? I'm guessing that /dev/null ought to be one entry, but so far I am unable to find a typical on this.

Thanks.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only have 1 line in /etc/udev/rules/50-udev.rules, something is definetally missing something.
Re-emerging udev is a good start.
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: More on udev and system lock up Reply with quote

I have more on thi problem I have experienced since doing a system update early in January.

I can not prove it, but I suspect a serious incompatiblity between the version of hotplug I am using and coldplug

Thanks to "LinuxFormat" I have an iso of Gentoo 2005.1 so I decided to try to fix the problem I was having, i.e. I could not boot my
2.6 kernel to a terminal.

So I booted the livecd and mounted my partitions. I then chroot'ed and followed a recommendation I had seen in other postings that
seemed to be somewhat similar to mine.

I unmerged udev, which I was very nervous about doing, re-emerged it after first renaming the original /etc/udev
I then ran # rc-update del coldplug.

When I rebooted the machine it booted up with out hanging. A problem still exists and that started after my recent system and world
update it appears permissions are wrong so my modem, among other things is non-functional.

This leads me to another observation or question if you will, Where are permissions kept for udev? The original install of udev had
a

/etc/udev/permissions.d/ with 30-svgalib.permissions and 50-udev.permissions
/etc/udev/rules.d/ with 30-svgalib.rules and 50-udev.rules
/etc/udev/scripts/ various
/etc/udev/cdsymlinks.conf
/etc/udev/udev.conf

The new one has only

/etc/udev/rules.d/ with 50-udev.rules
/etc/udev/scripts/
/etc/udev/udev.conf

The current udev installed in 070-r1

Poking around the source ebuild I see a file containing rules, but poking around the actual source code
it appears that only Debian uses separate permissions and that is not clear to me if it is in a separate directory.
All my searches do not tell if there should still be a /etc/udev/permissions.d/

Can anyone shine some light on this or make further suggestions? It's much appreciated.

BTW, I'm beginning to think this may be the root of the problem I've had with the 2.6 kernel on getting DRI running, but that is not settled. It certainly explains why my dvdburner and dvdrom are non-functional not to mention modem.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of udev do you have?

permissions files were used with udev a while ago, but have been removed for some time now.

Here are the files installed by udev in /etc
Code:

/etc
/etc/dev.d
/etc/dev.d/default
/etc/dev.d/net
/etc/dev.d/net/hotplug.dev
/etc/hotplug.d
/etc/hotplug.d/default
/etc/hotplug.d/default/10-udev.hotplug -> ../../../sbin/udevsend
/etc/scsi_id.config
/etc/udev
/etc/udev/rules.d
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
/etc/udev/udev.conf
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: My udev Reply with quote

You'll find all I have here:

/etc/dev.d
/etc/dev.d/default
/etc/dev.d/default/10-hal.dev -> /usr/libexec/hal.dev
/etc/dev.d/default/hal-unmount.dev
/etc/dev.d/net/hotplug.dev
/etc/hotplug.d/
/etc/hotplug.d/default
/etc/hotplug.d/default/10-udev.hotplug -> ../../../sbin/udevsend
/etc/hotplug.d/default/20-hal.hotplug -> /usr/libexec/hal.hotplug
/etc/hotplug.d/default/default.hotplug
/etc/scsi_id.config
/etc/udev/
/etc/udev/rules.d
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/scripts
/etc/udev/rules.d/scripts/dvb.sh
/etc/udev/rules.d/scripts/ide-devfs.sh
/etc/udev/rules.d/scripts/raid-devfs.sh
/etc/udev/rules.d/scripts/scsi-devfs.sh
/etc/udev/rules.d/udev.conf

udev version is sys-fs/udev-070-r1

hotplug version is sys-apps/hotplug-20040923-r1

hotplug-base version is sys-apps/hotplug-base-20040401

sys-apps/hal-0.4.7-r2

My version of Portage FYI is 2.0.51.22-r3

Thanks.

A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: [SOLVED not likely] Reply with quote

Well. I've poked around fornearly two weeks trying to figure out why upgrading broke my 2.6 Gentoo box. No modem, no dri, no cdburner, no dvd movie viewing, basically less useful than M$ Windows. If Gentoo wants to make the 2.6 kernel its default it will do it without me. Many will be inclined to disagree with me, and that is alright, but I have only so much time to weed out bugs. I would own M$ if that is what I wanted to do.

As it appears that I would not find a 2.4 kernel with Gentoo it would appear tis time to switch to a distribution I have found to be the most steady of all and that is Debian. Often not quite as custom as the other distros, but I never found it not to work at all. In my mind it is more like Linux as compared to M$, slowly moving along, the tortise chasing the hare and most people know how that story ended.

Gentoo was a nice try, but like others I must move on to something that will function a little more fully.

Thanks.

Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, but you have to do what you have to do.

Might I suggest looking at PCLinuxOS.
I find it's an extremely polished distro and it has great autoconfig support, including binary video driver support. (All out-of-box)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: