View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atac
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: kde 3.1.1 ebuilds Reply with quote

hrm, i noticed that there was kde-3.1.1 ebuilds in the portage tree, so i thought i might upgrade.

i started off by merging arts-1.1.1.ebuild, but there's no arts-1.1.1 source on kde.org's ftp, so is this some kind of joke ?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me mutters something about reading packages.mask to get the message "KDE 3.1.1 masked because the tarball haven't been released yet"

Portage is cool and all, but it doesn't perform timetravel....... yet
dob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine emerged kde 4 just fine, very cool indeed :twisted:
atac
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, why distrubute ebuilds for things that haven't been released yet? :P
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because then people won't complain about a 10 min delay when the tarball is released.

atac wrote:
heh, why distrubute ebuilds for things that haven't been released yet? :P

Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is 3.1.1 (AKA "KDE for Workkroups") released?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:

Go outside, the weather is nice (at least it was here today) - the software will be out when it's ready.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
Evangelion wrote:

Go outside, the weather is nice (at least it was here today) - the software will be out when it's ready.

It's almost 10pm in the middle of winter in here, so I'd rather not ;).

It's not like I'm refreshing KDE-website all the time to see the release, I was just wondering that is it few weeks, few days or few hours.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:

Major bummer :wink:
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so surprised that people who is supposedly beeing fairly computer literate can't even look up the release info for KDE.

Next time, try to use the standard resources prior to posting a question that nobody in this forum can give you an exact answer to.

According to KDE 3.1 release schedule, It should be here real soon:

Code:
Friday March 7th, 2003: Preparing KDE 3.1.1

KDE 3.1.1 tarballs are generated and uploaded to the packagers. Announcement roughly a week later.

Now we all know that it is more than a week since March 7th and the source is not released yet. This basically means they have hit some snags, but it should be here anytime.

Erik
rsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were the snags? How long will it take them to fix it?

<hides under desk> KIDDING!
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
I'm so surprised that people who is supposedly beeing fairly computer literate can't even look up the release info for KDE.

Well excuse me for asking a basic question that was relevant to the subject at hand. Sure I could have checked KDE's website, but I didn't feel like it. Next time I see someone ask "when is xxxxxx going to be released?", I'm going to lecture them and tell them to "read the frigging website!"

Quote:
Next time, try to use the standard resources prior to posting a question that nobody in this forum can give you an exact answer to.

And next time before asking anything, read www.tldp.org entirely and all the related howto's :roll:. I mean, why ask questions here since the info is propable available somewhere else as well?
rsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta agree with you, Eva, on this one... I'm sure the gentleman that answered was having a bad day
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlterEgo wrote:
Lovechild wrote:

Major bummer :wink:

How's your relativity theory knowledge, I'm thinking about devoting sometime this weekend to implementing this much requested feature.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
ebrostig wrote:

Well excuse me for asking a basic question that was relevant to the subject at hand. Sure I could have checked KDE's website, but I didn't feel like it. Next time I see someone ask "when is xxxxxx going to be released?", I'm going to lecture them and tell them to "read the frigging website!"

Quote:

And next time before asking anything, read www.tldp.org entirely and all the related howto's :roll:. I mean, why ask questions here since the info is propable available somewhere else as well?

Pardon my French!

I'm sorry if it was perceived as a somewhat grumpy response, but every time a new ebuild shows up in the Portage tree and esp when it is masked and it even has a nice comment saying why it is masked people start crying for the tarballs.

It may actually come as abig surprise to some people, but KDE has an excellent web-page over at http://www.kde.org that contains almost any information you would want when it comes to what is included in new releases, when they are supposed to be released and so forth. If there is no new date on that web-site, it is very unlikely that anyone here will know when the tarballs will be released.

Nobody is opposed to you asking questions, but sometimes it may be wise to stop for a few seconds and think about what you ask. Is it likely that anyone here knows anything about what I'm about to ask? If it is a technical question, the answer is most likely yes. If it is a question that requires inside information from, in this case the KDE developers, it is very unlikely that anyone here will be able to answer it.

Please, ask questions, but ask questions that it is a possibility that we actually may answer.

Erik
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
I'm sorry if it was perceived as a somewhat grumpy response, but every time a new ebuild shows up in the Portage tree and esp when it is masked and it even has a nice comment saying why it is masked people start crying for the tarballs.

Well, I'm not "crying for the tarballs", I was merely curious. I asked because I don't follow KDE-mailinglists nor had I taken a look at the release-schedule (which usually isn't 100% accurate) recently, altrough I check www.kde.org daily.

Quote:
Nobody is opposed to you asking questions, but sometimes it may be wise to stop for a few seconds and think about what you ask.

Of course I (and everyone else) could just shut up, but what's the point in that? Me asking about the release of 3.1.1 could have sparked a discussion about the release, the changes in 3.1.1 as opposed to 3.1, KDE's future and god knows what. And that would have been infinetly more productive (and fun!) than if I had just went to the website and hadn't said a word here. And getting the information from here, that info would be distributed to others who read this thread (there propably are others here who don't know when 3.1.1 gets released)

Quote:
Is it likely that anyone here knows anything about what I'm about to ask?

Propably, because:

a) there's alot of people here
b) the developers/packagers might be here as well
c) someone here propably reads KDE-mailinglists and thus has insight to what's going on

Quote:
If it is a technical question, the answer is most likely yes. If it is a question that requires inside information from, in this case the KDE developers, it is very unlikely that anyone here will be able to answer it.

Often the info I seeked could be obtained from the mailing-lists (which I don't follow anymore).
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm ....3.1.1 ...out soon? ...that's a nice coinsidence ...i'll be giving my pc a servis some time soon (because of that ramstick) and then i intended to emerge -e kde ...nice :)

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
gilesjuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's out now!
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right!

KDE's website wrote:
March 20th, 2003 (The INTERNET). The KDE Project today announced the immediate availability of KDE 3.1.1, a maintenance release for the third generation of the most advanced and powerful free desktop for Linux and other UNIXes. KDE 3.1.1 ships with a basic desktop and seventeen other packages (PIM, administration, network, edutainment, utilities, multimedia, games, artwork, web development and more). KDE's award-winning tools and applications are available in 51 languages.

It's just a teeny bugfix release. A few new translations here, a bug squish there. Unless you have had problems with KDE 3.1, I suggest you give Gentoo's servers a break and don't upgrade!!!
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puddpunk wrote:
He's right!

It's just a teeny bugfix release. A few new translations here, a bug squish there. Unless you have had problems with KDE 3.1, I suggest you give Gentoo's servers a break and don't upgrade!!!

i did ...that's why :D

aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hook wrote:
puddpunk wrote:
He's right!

Well since you seem have compiled it, does it render the middle frame in http://www.omroep.nl/nos/nieuws/index_origineel.html ? That would be THE reason for me to upgrade :)
gilesjuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a big grey empty box, so I guess not.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aardvark wrote:
hook wrote:
puddpunk wrote:
He's right!

Well since you seem have compiled it, does it render the middle frame in http://www.omroep.nl/nos/nieuws/index_origineel.html ? That would be THE reason for me to upgrade :)

sorry, i wanated to say that i DO have a serious problem with kde3.1 (=it doesn't work) ...that's why i'm waiting for the 3.1.1 :)

nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:

Heh. I hope they incorporated the famous "Calculator shows zero difference between 3.1 and 3.11" *feature*!

(Unfortunately I can't find a link to prove it, but in Windows 3.11 a.k.a. WFW, if you typed in 3.11-3.1 in the Calculator program, the result would be 0, thus showing the difference between the two releases being zero. Rumor has it this was a feature, not a bug.)
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aardvark wrote:

It's still b0rked beyond recognition.....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: