I want to know wich is the best KDE or Gnome
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anubisis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: I want to know wich is the best KDE or Gnome Reply with quote

I´m trying to deside for one desktop environment I don´t know what to choose KDE or GNOME.............I need some recomendetion
fuzzythebear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Try em both Reply with quote

That's the best advice anyone can give you ..
Emerge both of them and give a good trial to both , 3 days or so ..
Take em both for a test drive .. check all that's in each .. make your
experiments .. Press all the buttons :D

Then decide .. to make your mind based on personnal experience
is the best advice anyone will give you.

Fuzzy
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is like to compare Mozart against Beethoven, Paganini, Tchaikovsky, Bach or any other...

There are already many thousands of topics around here in the line of "KDE vs. Gnome", and another couple of millions regarding the fantastic "Window managers vs. Desktop environments", so this one could easily end being piled into the duplicates section.

Of course, KDE users will tell you it is marvellous, Gnome users will do the same about their desktop. Window manager users will tell you about the "unsufferable bloat" of both desktops and about "how fast and responsive" a minimalistic WM like *box or Fvwm can be even in ancient hardware. Another few ones that like desktops but think that Gnome and KDE are so bloated will tell you that Xfce created the world (and so it is like some kind of god). As you can deduct there is no response to your answer.

My recommendation, visit the kde and gnome webs, read on the forums (search for something like "kde vs. gnome", not only here, but also in google). See screenshots into kde-look.org and gnome-look.org, then try both and decide yourself. Anyway, this thread will soon be useless, because if it is not marked as duplicate it will soon be full of flames and the like.

- Best wishes and luck in your quest. ;)
LemurFromTheId
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try using both Knoppix and Gnoppix for a few days, so you wouldn't need to emerge anything that big. Lots of applications included. That's two CD's, of course...

Last edited by LemurFromTheId on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer simple window managers (like openbox) over desktop environments. However, if you do want a desktop environment, I would recommend Xfce. (xfce4 is the package name) It is a very lightweight DE that uses GTK+. If you want to stick with either GNOME or KDE, I personally prefer GNOME. In my opinion, GNOME offers an excellent user interface, while KDE has more features for the power user.
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trae wrote:
You could also try using both Knoppix and Gnoppix for a few days, so you wouldn't need to emerge anything that big. Lots of applications included. That's two CD's, of course...
Or Ubuntu and Kubuntu Live CDs. :D

[edit] There should also be a Xubuntu (Xfce) soon. Hopefully with the release of Dapper Drake.
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrap all that, Fluxbox!

Gnome sucks, I can't believe so many people use it! KDE is ok apart from the half an hour start up time and too many kkks in everything.... XFCE4 may float some people's boat, but I think it's weak compromise.

KDE QT widgets look nicer than GTK that Gnome uses.

I haven't tried Openbox, how does it compare to Fluxbox?
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE is the most polished/windows like interface. It is a great starting point for someone new to Linux (coming over from WIndows). It is full-featured but bloated.
Gnome is another full-featured desktop. I never liked it personally, I found the interface to be clumsy. However plenty of people love it. Like KDE it has everything you need, but maybe too much.
XFCE4 is a good compromise between a full-featured desktop like KDE or Gnome and a light-weight WM like *box. Not too flashy, but it has pretty much everything you need. My only gripe is with xffm (hate it), but I just use Rox-Filer for file management anyway.
E17 looks to be the innovation/eye-candy champ of the future. Emphasis on the word future. E17 is not even alpha yet (but still lots of fun to play with and surprisingly stable).

Last edited by sirdilznik on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humbletech99 wrote:
I haven't tried Openbox, how does it compare to Fluxbox?

It's a lot simpler. You don't get a panel and have to use your menu to see a list of open applications unless you emerge a seperate panel. I also like the fact that the configuration and the menu is stored in XML files (makes it very easy to edit). The configuration through the Fluxbox menu always annoyed me.
Annapurna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried both when i first put a DE on my computer and decided on KDE. I find it loads just as fast as gnome did even with all the features turned on. It did take a lot longer to compile though.
I actually like the K branding cause I tend to be brand loyal, I drink Coke, I eat Ruffles, I ride Cannondale bikes, etc. and of course use KDE. I use K* applications whenever I can find they are very functional for me. I also find it a lot more customizable than gnome was and I really like the applications. The only disadvantage I find is that the system monitoring applications are not as good as Gnome's or Windowmakers. If I get some spare time to program in though I might change that and write *MY* perfect hardware monitoring application for the Kicker.

I also like understanding what goes on my system and why and I found with KDE this was much easier... I also started out doing the minimal install (I forget the portage name) and then added things as I needed them and that worked very well. I also like the kde.org and associated websites a lot better.

My advice though is to do what I did and try both. What I did was to make a stage4 tarball of my installation up to the installation of x.org (see the Gentoo-wiki). And then reinstalled from that after I tried Gnome to put KDE on a fresh system.
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided on KDE simply because I got a recommendation from my brother. I have never once tried Gnome, except when I used red hat for a couple minutes back in the day.

I'm completely satisfied with KDE, and I'm sure Gnome is just as good, but I think KDE has a brighter future, the whole project is more professional, and with KDE 4.0 in future, things will only get better for the K.

Definitely check out kde-look.org for some screenshots.
satanskin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLUXBOX
blice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me , I personaly LOVE Enlightement, But as a Desktop System has to be easy to acces and easy to manage and easy to use, I spend 99% of my Pc-time for KDE.

Ich tried Gnome as Well, it was HORRIBLE!

So if you want a fast(!?) Desktop give it a try to Enlightement (or if you a hardcore console user - use icewm or similar)
IMO kde is one of the best (Maybe THE best) Desktop for Linux , as since 3.4 theres the possibilty to emerge split ebuilds
Email: blice@gmx.de
calr0x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try them all..

It's not like you gotta shove quarters in it to make it work.. =P
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluxbox.

But KDE is my second choice.

tempted to try openbox now though...
chrismortimore
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like KDE over Gnome, but like Fluxbox over everything else ;) Fluxbox and ROX Filer, can't be beaten.
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omp wrote:
It's a lot simpler. You don't get a panel and have to use your menu to see a list of open applications unless you emerge a seperate panel. I also like the fact that the configuration and the menu is stored in XML files (makes it very easy to edit). The configuration through the Fluxbox menu always annoyed me.

Tried it out. I don't think it's as good, I've used it and I don't like it anywhere near as much as my Fluxbox. I haven't compared the menu-editing, but I'm quite fond of making my own Fluxbox menus and keys and I find the syntax quite clear and simple. I just can't look at Openbox after The Flux.
kirillrdy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both Powerfull desktops, Just give a try, see what you like most, and thats it :-)
-fenice-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Desktop Environnement/Window manager has it advantages/drawnbacks.

KDE is probably a bit more easier to use when you comes from the Microsoft Windows' world. A thing that can enter in consideration : if you don't use "emerge kdebase-meta", the KDE installation can be painful... and if you use it, you will have to compile and have every k-program on your pc (I really like kde, but i'm not really a fan of the k-programs).

I believe Gnome is a bit simplier to install (never tried to emerge it, sorry). The icons/menu arrangement is less like MS Window, but not so different, and it is not necessarily bad.

They both propose nice apps to configure and customize your desktop. If you don't want to test both of them, take a tour on the net to watch screenshots, that can help! Else try livecds, they are a good way to test them without any pain.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are about 947472 other threads about this, for example: Favorite Window Manager?

Moved from Desktop Environments to Duplicate Threads.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: