View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arakiel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: .bashrc and su not sourcing /etc/profile.env Reply with quote

OK I think I narrowed down my earlier problem with the DCOPServer errors but that thread is sort of way off base from the actual problem so I thought I would start a new one...hope you don't mind :)

It seems that when I su in as root from a terminal it does not execute the /etc/profile ... or at the very least, it doesnt source /etc/profile.env because the PATH variable is way outa whack which causes iceauth to not be found and subsequently all the errors im seeing. Now I think I can get around this by modifying root's .bashrc to force the source /etc/profile.env but I'd rather find the cause of this problem since it wasn't happening a few days ago. So my question is, does anyone know why a terminal wouldn't source /etc/profile.env but logging in as root or logging in as root from ssh DOES source it?

I won't be able to test out my theory until I get back home from work since im on a windows machine here and limited to ssh logins (which work fine) but if anyone has any ideas as to why this might happen please let me know. In case you haven't figured it out by my bad lingo i'm not very knowledgable about linux, i only know enough to be a danger to myself :)...so I'll take any help I can get lol.

Thanks in advance!

-Mark
Esben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: man is your friend.. Reply with quote

It's because it' is not a login shell when you invoke by su. Try reading the man pages (man bash) under "INVOCATION".
Arakiel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! I see...so because i was using su instead of su - it wasnt sourcing /etc/profile at all. I see, I guess it must be my deranged imagination that thinks I did this before...or probably I didnt run any apps out of the standard paths...could have sworn otherwise though.

Thanks for the point in the right direction Esben!

The three most dangerous things are:
a programmer with a soldering iron,
a manager who codes,
and a user who gets ideas.
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just created an alias for su that's 'su -'. It works pretty well.

My only complaint is that now when I su I end up in root's home dir instead of the dir I issued su from.
Esben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: something is.... changed. Reply with quote

Arakiel wrote:
Aha! I see...so because i was using su instead of su - it wasnt sourcing /etc/profile at all. I see, I guess it must be my deranged imagination that thinks I did this before...or probably I didnt run any apps out of the standard paths...could have sworn otherwise though.

Thanks for the point in the right direction Esben!

Something was changed in some upgrade to gcc, about the some time that gcc-config was introduced. I /think/ that some change was introduced to one of those default read-in scripts (again, see man bash) so the /etc/profile no longer gets sourced. Hard to tell now, though. Wish I knew the reason, if any.

And you're welcome :-) Man really is your friend, even if it is quite a chatterbox :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: