View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: smeg and kmenuedit conficts Reply with quote

It appears smeg and kmenuedit do not work well together.. at all. Smeg seems to have taken over control of the menu editing but some of the things that are there in smeg are not in kmenuedit. Any deletions or additions i attempt to make with kmenu edit do not show up, but hotkeys i make with kmenuedit work. Also additions made by kappfinder also work. I tried uninstalling smeg and gnome but that didn't seem to help, and the gnome menu entries are still there. If i wanted to add a menu item, is there a way i could make kappfinder think my menu item was an app and have it add the file?
davidjneff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: smeg and kmenuedit conficts Reply with quote

-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e wrote:
It appears smeg and kmenuedit do not work well together.. at all. Smeg seems to have taken over control of the menu editing but some of the things that are there in smeg are not in kmenuedit. Any deletions or additions i attempt to make with kmenu edit do not show up, but hotkeys i make with kmenuedit work. Also additions made by kappfinder also work. I tried uninstalling smeg and gnome but that didn't seem to help, and the gnome menu entries are still there. If i wanted to add a menu item, is there a way i could make kappfinder think my menu item was an app and have it add the file?

I tried smeg on one PC, and shortly after decided to switch from gnome to kde as my primary desktop just because it has so much more configuration capabilities and is where the development action is.

KDE menus were fine on the PCs that had never run smeg, but on the one I had run smeg (just once, didn't change anything) there was no menu heirarchy, everything was flat, and kmenuedit wouldn't run from the start panel (would run from a shell windows). I unmerged smeg,I blew away my .kde directory, didn't fix it. Then blew away my .control directory and then KDE menus were correct/consistent with other PCs.

I kind of like the more minimalistic approach of gnome, kde is kind of cluttered, but kde just has so many more tools for configuration, preferences, networking, etc.. I just wanted to make some minor menu changes in gnome and it wasn't obvious how to do this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: