Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Get help on partitioning here [Part 2]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the problem and agree that using a point size isn't the best option. I would use a relative size, if I knew how to specify that with phpBB. I'm unable to use html tags, so I can't use the <font-size="x-small"> yada yada yada </font-size> syntax. If you could tell me how to set a relative size using phpBB, I would be very thankful.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish I could. cant say as I'm know that. but at least I know it's not a screwy screen setting.
Mathiasdm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to create a dual-boot (Windows and Gentoo), but the first 1024 sectors (or cilinders, or whatever they're called :-P ) are occupied by Windows.

If I put a /boot (not in the first 1024 cilinders), will I be able to boot from it?

Can grub arrange this? :oops:
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be OK. When you install Gentoo, and put grub in the mbr (master boot record), it will overwrite the windows boot loader. Your windows partition (C: drive) will be called hda1, and the Gentoo /boot partition will be on another hdax partition. Don't worry about the 1024 sector stuff- it won't matter. To boot windows from grub, you'll need to edit your grub.conf file after you install grub, and put an fstab line entry for windows, on /dev/hdax (probably hda1 if you have a normal windows installation on your hard disk.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11

Last edited by wrc1944 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mathiasdm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, wonderful :-) Thank you very much!
Mathiasdm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does /swap have to be primary?
I already have 2 primary Windows partitions.
I can't have both /boot AND swap as primary :oops:
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. my swap on both of my gentoo box's is on a logical drive.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're dual-booting with windows, and as long as you install grub to the mbr, Linux doesn't actually require any primary partitions for anything. Windows does need a primary and bootable partition, which is usually hda1, and is the least complicated way to do it. However, if you must install grub somewhere else for some specific reason I'm unaware of (I wouldn't recommend it, and never have myself), it probably must be installed on a primary bootable partition.

I don't recommend using lilo as a boot-loader (haven't for years), as I think it still must be installed to a primary partition (not sure on this- it might have changed since I last used it), and it's generally just more trouble if you compile kernels often, as I do.
arpegiator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wandering over from another forum(PClinuxOS).i've used lilo for years now and never had any problems with it and it doesn't have to be installed on a primary partition.you can install it where ever you want.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used lilo for years, so maybe I wasn't remembering correctly about it having to be installed on a primary partition. I never had any lilo problems either, and it's a perfectly good solution, but when I started testing lots of kernels I got tired of having to run lilo everytime, and when I went to Gentoo as my main distro, I just went with grub.
playahater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: advice concerning partitioning 120GB hdd Reply with quote

Hi there ... :)
I have already installed gentoo .. but since it hasn`t been updated for almost half a year, i`ve decided to do a reinstall. Right now i have minimum partitions .. one boot, one swap and root ( / ) under reiserfs.
Now .. i`ve been reading that it would be wise to separate a partion which has a lot of "data trafic" from root partition ( / ) ... like constant delete/write of files such as dvd/divx movies. music etc.
I`ve been thinking and i`m not sure how to do a partition table .. I have a 120GB hdd .. dunno, maybe beside boot,root and swap, to put home and "stuff" on a separate partition ..

sda1 = 40M => boot
sda2 = 500M => swap
sda3 = 10G => /
sda4 = 10G => home
sda5 = ~100G => "stuff"
or maybe to merge home and stuff under one separate partition and call it home .. :roll:

Since i haven`t home,var,tmp .. on separate partition, i dunno how much space i heed for something like that ..

So .. i was wondering if you have any advice ( or useful link ) concerning partitioning and file system ( maybe to put root under ext3 and rest under reiserfs .. dunno )

10x in advance

Cheers
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: advice concerning partitioning 120GB hdd Reply with quote

playahater wrote:
Hi there ... :)
I have already installed gentoo .. but since it hasn`t been updated for almost half a year, i`ve decided to do a reinstall. Right now i have minimum partitions .. one boot, one swap and root ( / ) under reiserfs.

Free tip #1: Use ext3 with dir_index.
Beats the crap out of reiser, and crashes less often (i.e. never) :wink:

playahater wrote:
Now .. i`ve been reading that it would be wise to separate a partion which has a lot of "data trafic" from root partition ( / ) ... like constant delete/write of files such as dvd/divx movies. music etc.

It only makes sense to do that if you can put the partitions on separate disks; with only one drive, performance may actually suffer because the heads have to move further.

playahater wrote:
I`ve been thinking and i`m not sure how to do a partition table .. I have a 120GB hdd .. dunno, maybe beside boot,root and swap, to put home and "stuff" on a separate partition ..

Certainly separate your home directory out - you never want to have to rescue that from a botched install.

playahater wrote:
sda1 = 40M => boot
sda2 = 500M => swap
sda3 = 10G => /
sda4 = 10G => home
sda5 = ~100G => "stuff"
or maybe to merge home and stuff under one separate partition and call it home .. :roll:

There's no "maybe" about it - /home gets everything you don't need for your system files.

playahater wrote:
Since i haven`t home,var,tmp .. on separate partition, i dunno how much space i heed for something like that ..

Under Gentoo, a good general guideline is to allocate at least 4 GB for /usr (this includes portage).
Another 2GB minimum for /var, since this is where all packages are built.
The root directory really doesn't need a lot of space if you separate these out - around 1GB would be plenty, even with /tmp and /opt in it.

playahater wrote:
So .. i was wondering if you have any advice ( or useful link ) concerning partitioning and file system ( maybe to put root under ext3 and rest under reiserfs .. dunno )

For your system, I'd do the following:

Code:
sda1: swap space, 1GB
sda2: root, 8GB, ext3 with dir_index
sda3: home, all that's left (100GB or so), ext3 with dir_index
sda4: boot, 64MB, ext2

There is really no use in splitting up /root, unless you want to go the LVM route and be able to resize them on the fly.

Splitting up root into multiple partitions is really only useful when you want to protect them from overflowing, and with you as the primary user tere is little chance of that.
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first: u could just update and don't re-install, even if you wan't to remodel your partition layout it's possible without reinstall, in that case u need to make a stage4.
second: if you reinstall plz do a stage3, stage1 is merely there to be formal
third:

i use a 150mb boot space, it has never been near full
if u want to hibernate u need a swap that's bigger than your RAM
the 10G root partition is a good choice,
and for the read/write partition and the stuff partitions:
i would make the home partition bigger, because of the fact that p2p progs take a lot of temp-space.
and somethimes u wan't to format your stuff partition and then u won't have space to put your stuff.
and it doesn't realy matter if some of your stuff is on you home partition.

anyway, partitioning is a matter of taste. one tip though: never make your partitions the same size.
if you wan't to make 2 10gb partitions make one 9gb and one 11gb so u can easily identify them in any partition editor.
in linux you won't have troubles with this but there are some rescue cd's (and other os-es) that mix up the sequence.

fourth:
there are a lot of topic's like these, so plz search around a bit on this forum
playahater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First .. 10x for fast reply .. :)

Quote:
For your system, I'd do the following:

Code:

sda1: swap space, 1GB
sda2: root, 8GB, ext3 with dir_index
sda3: home, all that's left (100GB or so), ext3 with dir_index
sda4: boot, 64MB, ext2

I agree with this .. that`s how i`m gonna do .. four partitions, one boot, one swap, minimum root and the rest for home .. except .. why do i need 1GB of swap? .. i have 512mb ram
I reboot once a moth and i haven`t "used" swap yet .. ok.. maybe a couple of magabytes .. but in my opinion even 500Mb is a lot
Am i wrong ?

and one more thing .. root partition .. that was another thing i missed to ask in previous post .. :) .. i want it as minumal as it can be .. ;)
i see that u`ve put only 8Gb for foot .. isn`t that too small for root ?? .. i mean, i`ll have there tmp, var, opt .. i`ll need a lot of space for compiled/compiling programs, distfiles, tmp dir etc ..
I would like as much as i can get space for /home .. and minimum for the rest .. but 8Gb?? .. :roll:

Quote:
first: u could just update and don't re-install, even if you wan't to remodel your partition layout it's possible without reinstall, in that case u need to make a stage4.

well .. i though of that .. and tried .. but .. there`s a lot of packages that need to be updated .. and i have "blocking packages" problem .. and there are always a dependency tails which are hard to remove completely without breaking somethin` ... so i thought it would be easier to reinstall (and that`s the only way for a lazy me to arange,burn and backup all data from hdd :) )

Quote:
there are a lot of topic's like these, so plz search around a bit on this forum

well .. i did that .. i have informed myself pretty good, but there`s always a dilemma about some things that couldn`t be solved alone ;)

and the last thing ..
Quote:
Free tip #1: Use ext3 with dir_index.

about file system .. ext3 with dir_index is faster than reiserfs ?? .. and which file system to put on home (~100GB) .. isn`t reiserfs better for larger space
i have always used reiserfs .. i`ve worked on ext3 though, but to be honest, didn`t notice a difference .. so i`m not particularly a hudge fan of neither of those .. :)
but if u say ext3 with dir_index .. then it`s ext3 with dir_index .. :) .. i`ll try .. :)

Cheers
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged
"advice concerning partitioning 120GB hdd"
into
"Get help on partitioning here [Part 2]"
nemectic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New laptop /dev/sda1=80G windows.

Quick question, if I wipe the partition table and just create a new partition with fdisk, does that leave windows intact?

It's been over a year since I last installed, and I can't remember for the life of me, I thought fdisk had a resize option :|

Cheers, H!
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemectic wrote:
Quick question, if I wipe the partition table and just create a new partition with fdisk, does that leave windows intact?

No, it'll be blown away.

nemectic wrote:
I thought fdisk had a resize option :|

If you want to resize a Windows partition, my advise is Gparted. Use the latest version.

But before you do that you must first defrag your disk (Windows). Here's the steps I followed:
  1. Disable hiberate
  2. Reboot.
  3. Disable page swap file. DON'T reboot.
  4. Defrag (you may defrag 3-4 times). DON'T reboot Windows until you...
  5. ... boot with Gentoo LiveCD 2006.0 or Ubuntu LiveCD to use Gparted.

According to the disk analyzer in Windows there will always be some blocks allocated in the middle of the partition. They should be safely ignored. Don't resize your Windows partition beyond the size of it's used space however.

When you boot again in Windows it'll check the disk. Re-enable hibernate if you need it. I've done that twice successfully but do a backup before... one never knows.

Hope it helps.
Elegiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be reinstalling Gentoo soon, but I have a few questions first. I've put together what I think is a good partition scheme. Here it is:

Code:

/boot   32 MB
swap   1 GB
/   1 GB
/usr   10 GB
/usr/portage   3 GB
/usr/portage/distfiles   2 GB
/var   10 GB
/home   15 GB
/opt   2 GB
/tmp   1 - 6 GB ?
/www   5 GB

This is a 60 GB drive, by the way. So I have room to increase the sizes if needed.

I'm not looking to be told actual sizes, but rather the sizes the partitions can reach (via building KDE, OOo, other large apps), and also if I can partition off any other areas. I've seen a few instances of partitioning off /usr/local. What advantages does that provide?

Through reading over the forums here, and also various partitioning documents, I'm confused about the size of /tmp. There are instances where I've seen people saying /var/tmp is where apps are built, and others I've seen refer to /tmp for that. I've also seen some symlink /tmp to /var/tmp and am wondering what advantages and disadvantages that provides.

Another question is the size of /usr/portage and /usr/portage/distfiles. I haven't seen many examples of people partitioning those off, but from what I've seen, those are the sizes I've come up with. Can they get bigger than what I have listed? Oh, and incase anyone is wondering, I'm wanting to partition them off for using different filesystems. I can't remember off-hand which one I had in mind for /usr/portage, but I do plan on using resierfs for /usr/portage/distfiles, unless someone has a better idea? Also, if I'm seperating the two from /usr, could I go lower with the size for /usr and still have enough room for anything that gets thrown at me?

I plan on using this box for a workstation (mainly coding, Flash) and a webserver. I'm still undecided as to which Window Manager to use, but it will most likely be KDE to begin with. I'll also need OOo and WINE. I know OOo has been reported to reach 6 GB (I believe) when being compiled, but I'm unsure of the other large apps I'll be needing.

Thanks,
Brian
playahater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm .. one question .. :)
why would anyone need 1Gb of swap ?? .. 8O
in my opinion, if you have more than 256Mb of RAM, you do not need more then 512Mb of swap .. and not to mention if you have more RAM .. :roll:
am i right ??
that much of space will never be used .. so .. why? .. :wink:

Cheers
Elegiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one to do many things at once. I've decided 1 GB for swap is enough to ensure I have enough without being too excessive. I forgot to mention that I have 500 MB RAM. I tend to use swap somewhat often -- usually around 200 - 300 MB, but it's always nice to have a little extra room just-in-case. :)

Brian
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playahater wrote:
why would anyone need 1Gb of swap ?? .. 8O
in my opinion, if you have more than 256Mb of RAM, you do not need more then 512Mb of swap .. and not to mention if you have more RAM .. :roll:

Swap should be at least the same size as your RAM if you plan to use Suspend to Disk (I or II), for instance.
adakadavule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Low space to install . Reply with quote

Sorry for sounding dumb.I am new to linux and have decided to try out gentoo.I have a 40 gb drive with 2 partitions c,d of 20gb each.I have 6.63gb and 3.25 gb free on c and d respectively.I need the windows os and i have important data on d.How do i go about?I plan to use the graphic installer as i am new to linux. Please help me.
adakadavule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: How to split 10 gb Reply with quote

Forgive me if i appear too dumb,but i am new to linux (and i don know wat linux looks like!)
Ok,Now i hav crammed all the data into empty dvds and c drive.Now i hav a empty d drive(20GB),How do i split it into two partitions of 10gb each so i can have gentoo on one and common files(music,data etc )on the second.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How to split 10 gb Reply with quote

adakadavule wrote:
... i am new to linux

Well, you've already said that :-) .

adakadavule wrote:
Ok,Now i hav crammed all the data into empty dvds and c drive.Now i hav a empty d drive(20GB),How do i split it into two partitions of 10gb each so i can have gentoo on one and common files(music,data etc )on the second.

Since you're a Linux beginner (not only you need help on partitionning your disks, I suggest you read Gentoo Handbook first. Then if you want to skip some steps you can go directly to Preparing the disks.

From what you've written I understand you've already partitioned your whole hard drive. But you need some free unpartitionned disk space to install Linux (any distribution). This means you will have to either sacrifice one of your partitions or resize both.

However only 40GB for both Linux and Windows is a bit too short IMHO. Linux can live with, say, 10GB but your experience will be somewhat limited though. On my 80GB drive, for instance, I have 13GB for Windows XP, 12GB FAT space for data exchange and the rest for Gentoo.
adakadavule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Can i expand the space used by linux Reply with quote

suppose i install gentoo on 10 gb and find it ok,can i remove windows and expand the space used by linux
:!:
One more thing ,i use turbo c++ for programming,can i use it in gentoo.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 5 of 30

Jump to: