Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Get help on partitioning here [Part 2]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janskey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vesselin wrote:
forget about 4 GB for swap. the advice "swap should = ram x 2" stems from old times and in reality only applies if you have fairly little memory. 512 MB for swap should be sufficient, you probably want see even half of that actually used...
remember, linux is much more nice to swap than windows is.
your /var looks a little bit large to me, but im not sure on this one.

actually i'm building a vertual server, samba, ftp, database, ldap, and other production server is placed in one computer server..thats why i have dual core amd 64. i would agree with you about the swap thing, is it ok for 2 gig swap..i'm afraid that my memory would need bigger swap for my server..for production..whats ideal size for /var for servers?
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
drvik,

I would not use XFS or Reiser4 unless you have a UPS and know you will always have a clean shutdown.
ext3 is plenty good enogh and there is a good change of fixing it when it breaks. Of course, it you have all this data backed up, you can restore breom backups.

I used ext3 for a week and lost data twice from a laptop overheating and crashing. Reiser4 for all its "unstable" nature has never dropped data for me, despite hard reboots, perhaps because specifically that Reiser4 has atomic writes.

I'd argue the "unstable" nature of Reiser4 is that the standard for the FS changes quite frequently. Once you boot with one kernel, you may not be able to boot with an older one. Ext3 is Ext3, and the developers are reticent to change anything about it because of how standard it is. That doesn't make ext3 the best performer on the planet, that just means it is stable as in unchanging.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enderandrew wrote:
Quote:
Ext3 is Ext3, and the developers are reticent to change anything about it because of how standard it is. That doesn't make ext3 the best performer on the planet, that just means it is stable as in unchanging.

Contrary to popular belief, ext3 has been constantly improved over the years, and a modern tuned Ext3 system is equal to any FS in performance, especially with the new kernels with multiple block allocation. I only became aware of this when I started following kernel development, and testing from versions 2.5.x onward. But even more importantly, tune2fs can enable dir_index, data_journal, and longer journal commit intervals (default is every 5 seconds) for outstanding performance.

I'll be the first to admit the old default (and even current) ext3 parameters were and are pretty bad for desktop performance, and for that reason I went to reiserfs previously for about three years. However, if you tune up your ext3 partitions, you will probably become an ext3 convert, considering reiserfs fragmentation, and various other problems with other file systems. Check out the ext3 tips thread on the forum for in depth details.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
filterpunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to install Gentoo on another system, but had a couple issues I could use clarification on that I haven't tried before on Gentoo.

This box has two SATA hard drives (sda and sdb, respectively). My intentions are to install the boot and / partitions on the primary/sda and the swap file and /home on the secondary drive/sdb. I've searched around a bit and didn't encounter anything addressing this particular topic, though i'll freely admit I may have missed something.

Anyway, if i'm assuming correctly, I would just need to run fdisk on /dev/sda and create my boot and / partitions, run fdisk on /dev/sdb and create my swap and /home, and write the table up in /etc/fstab, right? I'm also uncertain whether each of these needs to be noted as a primary partition or whether certain ones need to be extended, etc. Anything within grub (or anywhere else) that needs to differ from the basic setup described in the handbook?

A couple pointers, or confirmation that i'm on track, would be most appreciated.
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
enderandrew wrote:
Quote:
Ext3 is Ext3, and the developers are reticent to change anything about it because of how standard it is. That doesn't make ext3 the best performer on the planet, that just means it is stable as in unchanging.

Contrary to popular belief, ext3 has been constantly improved over the years, and a modern tuned Ext3 system is equal to any FS in performance, especially with the new kernels with multiple block allocation. I only became aware of this when I started following kernel development, and testing from versions 2.5.x onward. But even more importantly, tune2fs can enable dir_index, data_journal, and longer journal commit intervals (default is every 5 seconds) for outstanding performance.

I'll be the first to admit the old default (and even current) ext3 parameters were and are pretty bad for desktop performance, and for that reason I went to reiserfs previously for about three years. However, if you tune up your ext3 partitions, you will probably become an ext3 convert, considering reiserfs fragmentation, and various other problems with other file systems. Check out the ext3 tips thread on the forum for in depth details.

I've found that even with the ext3 guides I've read, that Reiser4 still seems to offer the best performance I've found.

I'm curious what has worked so well for you so that I might try it.

http://www.bullopensource.org/ext4/

There are some promising patches for ext3 to add extents and 64-bit addresses to increase the max size, however both the kernel devs and ext3 devs are hesitant to use these, simply because they don't want to make any changes to ext3 because it is so standard.

It has been proposed to incorporate these changes, but simply call it ext4.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enderandrew,
I had seen that "ext4" site a while back- pretty interesting stuff.

Basically, codergeek42 convinced me to go with a tuned ext3 after I read the entire ext3 tips thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-305871-highlight-ext3+tips.html along with a lot of googling around other info sites which confirmed the info. I did give reiser4 a 6 month try last year- maybe it's time for me to try the latest vesion on a fresh Gentoo install, but previously it suffered from the same gradual fragmentation and performance loss reiserfs exhibited. Maybe that's been resolved now. I'll admit reiser4 was great right after a fresh install, but went downhill quickly. And, I got tired of having to patch my kernels, or use a "reiser4" kernel from some body else. I'll probably wait until it's in mainstream, if it ever happens, before I really consider it again. Ext3 tuned has really impressed me, across the board.

It goes without saying dir_index is essential. As for the other options, I use data_journal or data_writeback on various partitions, and different commit intervals ranging fron 60 to 600 seconds, depending on the specific partition's usage requirements. That might be different for each user's systems, depending on what they use a specific partition for. There's a trade-off for larger or smaller commit intervals- larger intervals give better performace but more potential data loss in case of a crash, and with smaller intervals you take a small performance hit, but potentially lose less data when a crash happens (thus the default 5 second interval). I guess they figure most users would rather commit a journal more often, for data integrity.

I can say I've not been sorry I went to ext3 tuned, and have had no compelling reason to consider going back to reiserfs or reiser4. Oh yeah- the ext3 "multiple allocation block" feature was first in recent mm kernels (or you could patch vanilla kernels yourself), but now is merged in 2.6.17 by default, if I'm not mistaken.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
Berticus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't typically split my home directory from the root directory. I've actually been avoiding it with pretty much every OS I've installed. Yeah kinda weird cuz that means I have to backup everything... I guess I just don't want to have to decide how much space home and the rest of the filesystem should have. Actually I typically just make a swap and root partition...

Anyway, I've got 250 gigs of space. I'm going to have 32 M for the boot partition, 128 for the swap, and I'm not sure how I'm going to divide it between home and the rest of the filesystem. I know home's gonna be much more. Right now, /usr/local, which is where I install all of my programs, takes up 879.7 MB, while home takes up 30.3 GB. This is on the family's computer, which is only 60 gigs. So does 50 GB for root and 204640 MB for home sound good?
bol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i guess it's my turn to ask about my disk-configuration then.

Any suggestions about improvement are welcome.
Code:

#  # <fs>                  <mountpoint>    <type>          <opts>          <dump/pass>

# # NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
# /dev/md1                /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime  1 2
# /dev/md3                /               reiserfs        noatime         0 1
# /dev/md5                /usr            reiserfs        noatime         1 2
# /dev/md6                /var            reiserfs        noatime         1 2
# /dev/md7                /home           reiserfs        noatime         1 2
# /dev/md8                /tmp            reiserfs        noatime,noexec,nosuid,nodev 1 2
# /dev/hda2               none            swap            sw,pri=1        0 0
# /dev/hdc2               none            swap            sw,pri=1        0 0
# /dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro       0 0
# #/dev/fd0               /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto          0 0

# # NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
# proc                    /proc           proc            defaults        0 0
Berder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gentoo from a live CD in the absence of an internet connection--my wireless adapter card only has windows drivers. The other operating system on this computer is windows xp. My problem is that when I get to the partition screen in gentoo, the only drive it can find only has about 75 megabytes available. My hard drive is 80 GB and I've only used 12 GB. I tried to make a primary partition of the drive in windows but it doesn't allow me to do that (and doesn't say why). I'm clueless--what should I be doing? Where should I be looking for information?
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forums.

If you're using fdisk /dev/hda to partition your disk, that means that your cd-rom is the master on the primary channel. Do fdisk -l to see how your disk is called. It should be /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc or /dev/sda.
If you need help to install Gentoo, you should start by reading the Gentoo HandBook.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
ilm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be dual-booting gentoo with XP on my laptop, which I'm probably going to upgrade to a 100 gig hard drive. I'm thinking of doing a 40gig XP partition (which I find is the absolute minimum I need), 20 gig shared FAT32 and then 40 gig for gentoo. I know XP needs to be first, but would I be better off having gentoo second or the shared partition second?

Since its a laptop, I was considering using the suspend2 kernel, which requires the swap to be 2*RAM. However, I might upgrade the RAM down the line from 512 to 1 gig (when I get the money :wink:), so should I make my swap 2gig straight from the word go?

Also, would I be better off with 1 big / partion, or splitting off a seperate /home partition? One of my reasons for choosing gentoo is so that I'll finally have an OS I don't have to keep re-installing :wink:. As such, one large partition will enable me to not worry about how much to allocate, but a seperate /home will make restoring crashed OS's helpful. Thoughts? Note that I won't be doing any video editing or having a lot of music, so I don't need to worry about keeping space for that.

Finally, with regards to the /boot: is this used primarily just to keep the kernel in one place? My laptops a centrino, so I don't envisage hardware limitations to be a problem. I'm more than happy to put it in if I need it, but how big should it be?

Thanks for all your (anticipated) help!!!
Berder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure just how partitioning works with existing files. Right now I have a 76 GB ntfs partition that is for Windows of which I am using 12. I see something called "ntfsresize" that says it may non-destructively reduce the size of the Windows partition. Does it really do that? Also it mentions defragmenting--if I defragment first is there a safe way to do the partition without trusting a downloaded utility?

For some reason, I can't use the Windows utility Diskpart to create a new partition. I try

DISKPART> create partition primary size=20000

and it replies instantly

DiskPart was unable to create the specified partition.

Is this because my drive is fragmented? But that doesn't seem likely because diskpart doesn't require any time to craft its reply, and also when I try create partition primary size=1 it doesn't work either.

Also, I tried to use fdisk from the gentoo on the livecd as jbmsvicetto said but it does not recognize the command.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berder,

if you're new to Linux and partitioning, you should make backups of your important information before creating, deleting or resizing partitions. I strongly encourage you to read the Gentoo Handbook and to post specific questions before partitioning the disk. Before you can create a partition on a disk, you must have some free space available. If you used your entire disk for your partitions(s), you will need to resize them or delete some. Before you try to resize any partition, you should run the disk defrag on Windows to straighten your disk. You can run disk defrag, by opening windows explorer, with the right mouse-button over your disk choose properties, select tools and the disk defrag. Before trying to resize any disk, you should backup all your info as if something goes wrong you may hose the entire disk. If you don't want to take any chances and have a spare disk, it's safer to use a new disk for Gentoo. You might also disconnect the other disks to avoid any data loss.
When creating new partitions for Gentoo, you should use the Linux fdisk. What do you get when you run as root fdisk -l? That is a small L and not a 1. If you're using the GLI, you should open a term and do sudo su - and then run fdisk -l.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
Berder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fdisk does run normally if I type sudo su first.

My question is at this point, how do I best resize a disk partition that is already being used by Windows, without destroying information? The Windows utility DiskPart does not seem to be capable of it. There are a couple utilities I can download and use to do this either in windows or linux, although I can't use the linux one because linux on the livecd doesn't yet recognize either my wireless adapter or my alternate CD drive so I have no way of getting information to it. But--are these utilities safe, and is there a better, more "official" way? The Linux one is ntfsresize, and the Windows one is described at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/mssct.html.
Also there is
http://www.partition-manager.com/demo.htm
Berder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, thanks a lot for telling me about sudo. Without that I'd still be at step 1.

OK, I used ntfsresize in combination with fdisk and I have a few questions about that.
1. There's no way to actually "resize" a partition in fdisk other than deleting the partition and creating a new one--or am I missing something?
2. What is the size of a "cylinder"? In ntfsresize I had to specify the new partition size in GB but in fdisk my only option was in "cylinders." Figuring the number of cylinders should be proportional to the number of GB, even though I don't get an even division, I used cylinders 7-6100 out of 9719 total for 50 GB. How close is this?
3. After I specified the number of cylinders for the remade partition, fdisk put me back at its prompt without asking me what kind of filesystem I wanted on the partition. I guess it must have defaulted back to ntfs, but is this expected?
4. After using fdisk I did fdisk -l again but it showed the same information that it did before I deleted the partition and remade it smaller. That is, it still showed an 80 GB partition. Is this expected?
5. When I booted into Windows, the first thing I saw was the Windows CHKDSK utility telling me that the drive is "dirty." After CHKDSK did its thing, the computer rebooted and successfully started Windows. The drive information for C: is now total space about 45 GB, so everything seems fine so far. But given CHKDSK thought there was a problem, is there a reason to worry?

Something that may be relevant: before I did all this, I tried running ntfsresize but it told me that there were some corrupted clusters on the disk. I got rid of those using CHKDSK before doing the rest of the stuff.

Edit: Ok, something is wrong. Here is what I get when I do fdisk /dev/sda2 and type p for partition list:
Code:

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda2: 79.9 GB, 79941496320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9719 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065*512 = 8225280 bytes
This doesn't look like a partition table
Probably you selected the wrong device

Device    Boot     Start    End      Blocks     ID   System
/dev/sda2p1    ?       13578   119522  850995205   72   Unknown
    Partition does not end on cylinder boundaries
/dev/sda2p2    ?       45382   79243    271987362  74   Unknown
/dev/sda2p4    ?      10499    10499         0     65   Novell Netware 386
/dev/sda2p3           167628   167631   25817+     0    Empty

Partition table entries are not in disk order

No idea what the problem is. Windows as I said is running fine.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berder,

you run fdisk on disks and not on partitions. Therefore, you should run fdisk /dev/sda, instead of fdisk /dev/sda2
1 - fdisk doesn't support resizing partitions by itself. GNU parted allows that for some Linux filesystems. qtparted is capable of doing that on ntfs. One of the reasons I keep a cd from sysrescue cd around is to run qtparted. As I've told you, before thinking on doing something like this, make sure you backup all your info - better safe than sorry!
2 - You can always input sizes to fdisk by using the +sizeMB or +sizeGB.
3 - fdisk doesn't create filesystems. If you use parted it can do that for you. With fdisk you'll need to run something like mkfs.ext2, mkfs.reiserfs or mkfs.jfs to create a filesystem on the partition.
4 - fdisk only saves your changes if you exit it by pressing "w". If you press "q", all your changes will be lost.
5 - It seems you went ahead and resized the partition or so I gather from this point.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
Berder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I didn't press w so I guess I must not have made any changes. But then what's the reason Windows is only showing a 50 GB c-drive now? Did ntfsresize do that?
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berder wrote:
OK, I didn't press w so I guess I must not have made any changes. But then what's the reason Windows is only showing a 50 GB c-drive now? Did ntfsresize do that?

If you did run it, then it's likely. I've never used it or met it, so I can't comment.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
Berder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well thanks for your help with sudo and fdisk (I later did find sudo in the handbook-missed it the first time). Everything to do with partitions looks like it's good now. I have some other problems but I'll make a new thread.
Ariem
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I need a quick help for a simple question.

My disk now looks like this:
Code:
Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1               11G   9.2G   1.4G  88% /
udev                   264M   242k   264M   1% /dev
/dev/hda4              4.9G   4.6G   329M  94% /home
/dev/hda5               25G    21G   3.9G  85% /mnt/share
none                   264M      0   264M   0% /dev/shm

where hda5 is an extended part located after hda1 and before swap. At the ends is hda4.
All parts are reiserfs unless hda5 which is FAT and I want to get rid of it.

So what I want to do is to increase the size of hda1 and move some things around.
I plan to remove the extended partition, thereby creating space right after hda1 so that this one can be increased. Then I intend to create a new swap part of 1Gb right after hda1 and use the remaining space for /home.
So my question is, can I do all this using QTParted? And in a normal session, without unmouting any partitions, or do I need to boot from a install-cd?

Thanks for your time.
rwescoat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. I'm getting back into Gentoo and I've decided to redo my partitioning scheme. My system has a single 60gb HDD.

I've decided that I don't want to do a single filesystem this time, I want to have separate partitions. It'd be great if you all could recommend some sizes for /, /usr, and /var.

Partitions:
    / (ext3, not sure of size yet)
    /boot (ext2, 32mb)
    /home (ext3, whatever is left of disk after partitioning)
    /usr (reiser4, not sure of size yet)
    /var (reiser4, not sure of size yet)

Be sure to let me know if this is too vague. I'm not looking for exact sizes, just general recommendations.

Thanks,
rwescoat
pyrho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Partitions number problem Reply with quote

Hi all !

I've just reinstall windows with 2 partitions ( one contains Windows, the other one contains my data ).
Then I tried to install gentoo, which requires 3 partitions, here's my problem I can only create 4 primary partitions, and the installation guide says that I must create primary partitions.
So what can I do ?

Thx for any eventual brainstorm ^^.

--
pyrho
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[mod]Merged above post here[/mod]

pyrho,
you must have misread the installation guide. Are you using this Guide?
You are limited to the 4 primary partitions, but one of them can be an extended partition where you can create logical partitions. Although Windows requires the booting partition be a primary partition, you can safely install Linux on logical drives.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
pyrho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the guide i was following, but i never read the beginning of the "preparing the disk" part ^^ my wrong sorry.
So if i got it right, i must create a extended partition an (since i have 2 windows partitions it will be /dev/hda3), and inside this extended partition, i can create 3 logical partitions for gentoo ?
edit: Thx a lot for the quickness and the 'pedagogy' of your reply ^^
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can create an extended partition at /dev/hda3 and create your Linux partitions as logical partitions.
My pleasure to help! :)

Help answer || emwrap.sh
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 7 of 30

Jump to: