Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Do you think gentoo is good for develop???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anubisis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Do you think gentoo is good for develop??? Reply with quote

I'm new in Linux and I wonder if Gentoo or Linux is good for develop...............I tell you this because the last product available in the market are not available in Gentoo or Linux you have to wait weeks or months to thats programs become available

I'm worry ................ What do you suggest me????????????????????
nomorecoolnames
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to wait for a program to come available in portage to install it. Just download and compile and make sure that you have all of the programs dependencies properly installed. At school I ssh into my computer at home and use vi to program instead of using the MS product provided by the school. Using vi instead of vis studio I feel that I learn more because I dont have the intellisense training wheels on. Plus I dont have to worry about copying folders to a flash key at the end of class.
CptnObvious999
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the packages are available in Gentoo's bugzilla and you can always program your own ebuilds. If you don't think you need it in portage you can just install it like normal from source (or using a binary installer) I find Gentoo easier to install for since you don't have to find all the -dev packages to install from source.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: