[SOLVED]Auto Network Detection
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0x001A4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]Auto Network Detection Reply with quote

I am installing Gentoo for the first time. I am following the handbook.
I am right at the beginning where it says to configure your network setup. It says you might be lucky and it might detect it automatically. Well I'm not that lucky. So I did what it says to setup manually -
# net-setup eth0

That doesnt work. So I tried looking for the driver for my ethernet card which is onboard (AsusTek Marvell 88E8053), but I can't find it or anything that like it in the list under -
# ls /lib/modules/'uname'/kernel/drivers/net

When I try the # ifconfig eth0 I get the "eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found" message.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any help is appreciated,

Thanks alot!

Last edited by 0x001A4 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
0x001A4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have SuSe on my computer. So I went into YaST and checked what driver it used for my network card. It came back with sk98lin.
So I went back and did '# modprobe sk98lin' and then tried '# ifconfig eth0' again but I got the same error message. Now I am really stuck
because the handbook says "If however you receive the following error, the network card is not detected: eth0: error fetching ...etc" and then it goes
on to the next section in the handbook.
jindol2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: When Gentoo installing, LAN card no identify. Reply with quote

I am using Notebook that LG X-note LE50-ACE3. This Notebook LAN card use Marvell Yukon.

Ubuntu 5.10 and Kubuntu are LAN card automaticly identify.

Gentoo 2005.1-rc1 is not LAN card automaticly identify.

I think that Ubuntu5.10 kernel vesion 2.6.10 and Gentoo 2005.1-rc1 kernel version 2.6.12.

I think this problem is not because of kernel version.

first : Gentoo 2005.1-rc1 lived cd booting
preformance ---> modprobe sk98lin
preformance ---> net.eth0 restart (below comment output)

Starting eth0
Bringing up eth0
dhcp
eth0 does not exsist

preformance ---> ifconfig (below comment output)

Link encap : Local Loopback
inet addr : 127.0.0.1 Mask : 0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU : 16436 Metric : 1
Rx packets : 0 errors : 0 dropped : 0 overruns : 0 frame : 0
Tx packets : 0 errors : 0 dropped : 0 overruns : 0 carrier : 0
Collisionc : 0 txqueuelen : 0
Rx bytes : 0(0.0.b) Tx bytes : 0(0.0.b)

Plaease help me.

edit by nixnut: merged with this thread
Jerri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does dmesg reveal? it sounds as though your missing the appropriate kernel modules for you network adapter. If you can, issue the command lsmod after booting ubuntu, and try to figure out which kernel module works for you card. then compile that into your kernel whilst using gentoo.
nectarboi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I don't think the live cd supports your card https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93283. You might have better luck with Knoppix if you want to install with a livecd. More info on the card is located here: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_sk98lin.
Jerri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what was the output of modprobe after you tried to add the module sk98lin? what about dmesg?
0x001A4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after I added the module it just gave me a fresh line. So I checked lsmod and it was at the top of the list, but under where it said "used by" it was a 0. Someone mentiond that I have to do "dhcpcd eth0" but that didnt work either. They also mentioned to try "ifconfig eth0 {###} broadcast {###} netmask {###} up" and when I tried that it told me that it didnt recognize the device for all three.
When I tried dmesg it didnt return anything.

It's an onboard network card, but it seems like gentoo isnt able to see that I have one at all.
0x001A4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems I'm not the only one with this problem.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-420691.html

If my card isnt supported by the kernel, then how would I go about installing? All the solutions in the link provided by the last poster are solutions for a system that already has Gentoo on it.

He mentions to install through Knoppix, how would I go about doing that?
Jerri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nectarboi was suggesting that you download an image of knoppix write it to a cd, then boot from it. Knoppix is quite similar to gentoo's live cd, however, is jam packed full of extra drivers, programs.. it even has X11 and such. The reason being, knoppix is quite renowned for detecting all kinds of hardware automatically. Upon booting knoppix, if your network card is successfully detected, you can then continue with the gentoo installation manual. All the tools required to finish your gentoo install will be included on the knoppix cd.

Its not the most conventional excercise, however it is very effective, and not terribly complicated.
0x001A4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm a little confused as to how this would work.

I boot up knoppix (which I have done before and know it detects my network card) then take out that cd and put in the gentoo cd?

When I boot from the knoppix cd it puts me in a GUI, so would I get to a command line first?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0x001A4 wrote:
When I boot from the knoppix cd it puts me in a GUI, so would I get to a command line first?

Yes.

You can startup KNOPPIX like this if you want just the command line.
Code:
boot : knoppix 2

ps. You don't need the Gentoo CD at all if you are installing Gentoo like this. You will be downloading the files you need using your network connection.
Jerri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I boot up knoppix (which I have done before and know it detects my network card) then take out that cd and put in the gentoo cd?

Yes and no..

Yes: boot up with knoppix. at this point, you can open a terminal an proceed with Step 4. Preparing the Disks section of the gentoo handbook.

You don't have to replace the knoppix cd with a gentoo live cd. The purpose of a gentoo live cd, is to boot into an environment where you can begin the process of preparing your hard drive for a gentoo installation. The beauty, and sometimes horror of gentoo, is that this can be accomplished in a vast number of different ways. The difference, from a gentoo specific installation, between using a knoppix live cd, and a gentoo live cd are marginal.

So, to recap.. boot into knoppix, prepare your hard disk with fdisk. Then download a stage from a gentoo mirror (i would stronly recommend stage3) unpack the tarbal, chroot into your new gentoo environment and emerge sync. this is odviously missing some details, but that is roughly the steps that i would use to install gentoo on a machine if i were in your shoes.
0x001A4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats fantastic. Thanks alot for the help, I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes once I get a chance to try it again :)
0x001A4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Knoppix didnt recognize my network card so I tried the Ubuntu live cd, which worked.
I did the entire installation through Ubuntu up to the part where you get the kernel. I had to get the most recent kernel since it supported my network card with a new module(sky0) (The sk98** modules are deprecated).
So I had to configure the kernel myself and go into network devices and make sure that the module for my card was selected (which has 'Experimental' in brackets beside in).

Then I just continued with the installation and everything worked out great.
Jerri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: