[solved] xine annoyance
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: [solved] xine annoyance Reply with quote

I mainly use xine to watch movies, and please, don't tell me to use mplayer (any others?) instead.

The problem shows up when I close xine, and start it again. It may (or may not - it happens randomly) cause the image to be strange colored, etc.
Just look at the screens. The ugly one was taken using a mobile phone, so the quality is poor, the second is from the 'snapshot' xine utility.

<links moved>

I found nothing regarding the issue on the forums.

Oh, and sth more:
I just have to restart X in order to fix it, or to start a new session (under kde). Really annoying...

Last edited by zieloo on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
eelke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably a problem in the xv driver in combination with your videocard. You could try selecting a different video driver in xine. Xine is often set to auto select the video driver in which case it uses xv when available. xv uses the video overlay which provides hardware accelerated colourspace conversions (most video's are not stored in rgb but in yuv or similar systems). The problem you have is typical of an incorrect colourspace conversion. Trying another mediaplayer probably won't help as most use xine-lib anyway.
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eelke wrote:
It is probably a problem in the xv driver in combination with your videocard. You could try selecting a different video driver in xine. Xine is often set to auto select the video driver in which case it uses xv when available. xv uses the video overlay which provides hardware accelerated colourspace conversions (most video's are not stored in rgb but in yuv or similar systems). The problem you have is typical of an incorrect colourspace conversion. Trying another mediaplayer probably won't help as most use xine-lib anyway.

That's right, xine was using xv as the video driver, but I thought that's the best choice... Anyway, I changed it, and seems to be good (so far). One more thing. I incidentially started a second instance of xine, and:
Code:
$ xine
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.4.
(c) 2000-2004 The xine Team.
Segmentation fault

I doubt it's a hardware problem... Note: It's xine-specific.
Any comments?
eelke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's right, xine was using xv as the video driver, but I thought that's the best choice...

It is but only if it works...
The OpenGL driver is on most systems a good alternative as it has hardware scaling.

I can start a second instance without problems so it is not a general problem
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eelke wrote:
Quote:
That's right, xine was using xv as the video driver, but I thought that's the best choice...

It is but only if it works...
The OpenGL driver is on most systems a good alternative as it has hardware scaling.

I can start a second instance without problems so it is not a general problem

Solved the issue, the driver was first set to xshm (poor performance), but I changed it back to opengl recently. Works good.

Thank you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: