View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arnolde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: How to install very small Xorg? Reply with quote

I'm trying to make a very small installation of Gentoo on a (bootable) Compact Flash CF card (using an IDE adapter). I'm working with the TinyGentoo HOWTO (http://gentoo-wiki.com/TinyGentoo) and other sources mentioned there. With help of this document I was able to get Gentoo running rather quickly on my CF card, using less than 16MB. If it uses 32MB with X I'll be happy, but I really think it should all fit into 16MB.

Now since my intention is building a video player / media center / whatever you call it, I need X to playback movies (I'm using mplayer). Since I need the Openchrome Unichrome drivers to enable accelerated mpeg2 playback, I cannot use framebuffer for video playback.

When I now emerge Xorg-server (I'm working with 7.0 because it works best with my video card, already put a lot of time into getting that working at all) it of course wants to emerge over 60 (!) other packages. Now while I'm fine with the libx... and stuff, I don't need xterm, xclock, rand..., fonts, anything of that sort, which is about half of the list. I need no window manager, no fonts, no windows, no mouse, no keyboard (the system is remote or script controlled), just a plain black screen with the video drivers running. I do need mesa, dri, drm, and video drivers.

How can I hack into what the configure script wants and reduce the load of stuff it's asking for? I've already tried the emerge -O option, which installs a package without caring for it's dependancies, but still the configure script in xorg-server calls for lotsa stuff. Is there a tutorial somewhere out there that explains how the X system works, how the configure script and pkg-config and the libraries etc. etc. all work together, so I can see what I can do?

I thought Xorg-7.0 was called "modular".. meaning I can install just the parts that I need... huh? How?

Oh yes, of course I'm using the USE "minimal -X" flags...
calr0x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as xclock etc I'm curious too...

Edit:

It appears xinit is pulling in xclock...
Pse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you've already spent a lot of time getting xorg-7.0 up and running, but you might want to go back to the monolithic xorg-6.9 tree and use USE keywords to get rid of all the unneeded parts. There's no xorg-6.9 ebuild in portage, so you'll have to get it somewhere else...
arnolde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pse wrote:
I know you've already spent a lot of time getting xorg-7.0 up and running, but you might want to go back to the monolithic xorg-6.9 tree and use USE keywords to get rid of all the unneeded parts. There's no xorg-6.9 ebuild in portage, so you'll have to get it somewhere else...

How will using USEs be different with 6.9 than with 7.0?
ianegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't emerge xorg-x11. Have a look for the packages you need, and do each one manually. xorg-x11 doesn't actually build anything, it just uses dependencies to emerge the packages needed for a basic X server.

basic as opposed to minimal ;)

You may need to add xorg-x11 or something similar to /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, or maybe it was /etc/portage/profile/virtuals
arnolde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianegg wrote:
Just don't emerge xorg-x11. Have a look for the packages you need, and do each one manually. xorg-x11 doesn't actually build anything, it just uses dependencies to emerge the packages needed for a basic X server.

I find that hard to believe, all the 64 dependant packages are just libraries, fonts and apps, but the actual x11-xorg package is 6.7 MB in size. Or are there seperate packages out there that install only parts of what x11-xorg would do?

I should think there would be a "basic X" install somehow? I can't be the only guy who wants one???
ianegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at /usr/portage/x11-base/xorg-x11/xorg-x11-7.0.ebuild you can see that it doesn't actually build anything, but it does create and check for a symlink (/usr/X11R6 -> /usr) and "Filter out ModulePath line since it often holds a now-invalid path" - whatever that means.

According to the Gentoo documentation:
Quote:
Now, install the metabuild. This will install the server and popular applications, giving you a working desktop implementation of X:

Code Listing 2.4: Installing the modular metabuild

# emerge xorg-x11

Note that this install tries to be rather minimal, so things like xcursor-themes are not installed by default.

Obviously it's not minimal enough for you...

An aternative if you don't want to do this manually would be to copy the xorg ebuild to your overlay (/usr/local/portage/...etc..) (possibly use a higher version number) and just take out the RDEPEND lines for the packages you don't want. Of course, you'd have to change any future xorg-x11 ebuilds.

Code:
# Server
RDEPEND="${RDEPEND}
        >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.1"

# Common Applications
RDEPEND="${RDEPEND}
        >=x11-apps/mesa-progs-6.4.1
        >=x11-apps/setxkbmap-1.0.1
        >=x11-apps/xauth-1.0.1
        >=x11-apps/xhost-1
        >=x11-apps/xinit-1.0.1
        >=x11-apps/xmodmap-1
        >=x11-apps/xrandr-1.0.1"

# Common Libraries - move these to eclass eventually
RDEPEND="${RDEPEND}
        >=x11-libs/libSM-1
        >=x11-libs/libXcomposite-0.2.2.2
        >=x11-libs/libXcursor-1.1.5.2
        >=x11-libs/libXdamage-1.0.2.2
        >=x11-libs/libXfixes-3.0.1.2
        >=x11-libs/libXv-1.0.1
        >=x11-libs/libXxf86dga-1
        >=x11-libs/libXinerama-1.0.1
        >=x11-libs/libXScrnSaver-1.0.1
        xprint? ( >=x11-libs/libXp-1 )
        3dfx? ( >=media-libs/glide-v3-3.10 )"

# Some fonts
RDEPEND="${RDEPEND}
        >=media-fonts/font-bh-ttf-1
        >=media-fonts/font-adobe-utopia-type1-1.0.1
        >=media-fonts/font-bitstream-type1-1"

# Documentation
RDEPEND="${RDEPEND}
        >=app-doc/xorg-docs-1.0.1"

That's from the ebuild - it looks like it's ignoring USE flags for the time being, but you can probably delete a few of those lines. The rest of the crap that's being pulled in must be dependencies of these packages, so you may have a lot of ebuild checking in store.

EDIT:
calr0x wrote:
As far as xclock etc I'm curious too...

Edit:

It appears xinit is pulling in xclock...

If changing the ebuild still pulls in too many packages, you may need to just emerge all the packages manually as I originally said, with --nodeps, and worry about dependencies yourself. Maybe you should experiment with USE flags and pretend emerges of 6.9...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: