View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickvernam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: workstation 5.5 starts slow with host network enabled [SOLVE Reply with quote

kernel 2.6.14.
NIC is Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
Workstation version is 5.5.1.19175

If I disable the host's network connection, workstation starts in between 2 & 3 seconds, and overall responsiveness is smooth and as expected.

With the host's network connection enabled, workstation takes about 1.5 minutes to start, and overall responsiveness is unusable.

I have tried with guest networking completely turned off (via vmware-config.pl), and with my normal setup.

This is not a problem with running a virtual machine - they run normal, once started.

I'm assuming this has everything to do with networking options of my kernel configuration, but there are a lot of them to post, and I don't know which are important.

Last edited by rickvernam on Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
rickvernam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that when at my house the status of the host's network connection does not affect workstation responsiveness, I only have this problem when at work (which is where I need to use workstation...go figure).

Network at my house and work differ only in port forwarding settings in router. Otherwise, they both have same ISP, same equipment, same setup, same configuration...

I didn't used to have this problem before re-installing my system...this includes moving from kernel 2.6.12 to 2.6.14.
rickvernam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing? no ideas?
:cry:
rickvernam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in kernel, under 'device drivers' -> 'network device support' I changed 'Dummy net driver support' to build as a module, and I set things up to load that module at boot. That fixed the problem. problem gone.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: