Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Unnecessary services? A guide to Gentoo services?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcbray
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Unnecessary services? A guide to Gentoo services? Reply with quote

Hey all,
I've just installed Gentoo for the....6th successful time now, set myself up nicely, nothing seems to be failing yet (use-related errors before...I'm a tinkerer). Anyways, as may be obvious to some, i'm a Windows user, and a big part of performance gain there was stopping all the unnecessary services from starting. Gentoo's still very foreign to me...so there are two questions here. Firstly, how do I turn services on and off (not ending process, but stopping them starting at all). I had a look and rc-update seems to be the thing....so is it simply that? Secondly, is there a list of services and what they do? for example, I don't know if I need agetty, as I have no idea what it does - aio?I have two gdm processes, both from the same location, but different ID's - same service loading twice unnecessarily or not? I'm not expecting an answer to the these questions here, just a link to a guide for services if there is one floating around...

If it's important I'm running the 2.6 hardened kernel

I've also some issues with bootspeed considering I have installed Gentoo on a laptop - iptables in particularly takes a long time to load - as well as hotplug and coldplug - I don't plug in any devices, (excepting power plug if that count) so is there a way to have these statically defined, rather then constant checking?

Any input on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated :) Right now my goal is to have Gentoo last as long as Windows does on the Laptop battery..I need to gain about 13minutes ;)
gami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, rc-update is used to control which services start automatically.

Most services won't use much (if any) cpu after starting, so you won't see much of a difference there. The ones which use specific hardware, such as a wireless card would have an effect, though.

Have you compiled any cpu governors into your kernel, like the "ondemand" govenor? If enabled (via programs from the sys-power/cpufrequtils package) the "ondemand" govenor can throttle your cpu down when it's not in use. This should reduce your power requirements. You can also use the app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools, which e.g. spin down the hard disk.
jcbray
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply :D

the cpu governers are installed and working, i'll have a look at those apps, thanks for the tip.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: