View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alkats
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: X-org v.7 on bare Gentoo system install [ABANDONED] Reply with quote

Hello, I am a new user of Gentoo and installing it in an orderly manner from zero to the end. These forums are immeasurable help to me. I just follow directions from different posts and HOW-TO’s and learn as I progress. I thank you this community for helping…
I successfully bootstrapped the base i686 system, built the base Gentoo platform on LVM2 hard drive with ReiserFS and everything works like it is supposed to. Now I am at the point when I would like to install new X system. I learned that the latest is X.org 7.0 and did a search for directions to install it. I did find many references on how to upgrade from the existing v.6.8 to new v.7.0 and I think I understood it. However I can not find a single post on how to install X11 v.7.0 on a freshly built basic Gentoo system. I do not have anything installed yet except the bare system, basic utilities and tools, plus a web browser Lynx. So, I can not “cut and paste” to unmask those required packages. Any help or at least a pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated – thank you.

Last edited by alkats on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.
dmsnell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Xorg 7 Reply with quote

Howdy, I just successfully did the same thing yesterday with the r300 drivers for my radeon 9550. You can follow the same procedures as the tutorials, but since you don't have visual cut-and-paste, you might find a text-mode tool to do so.

Are you familiar with vi (vim) ? If not, then do an
Code:
emerge vim
to get it. It's a little harder to use than other editors, but it's really powerful once you get used to it. The following commands will open the files you need and will open up your install for Xorg 7. The lines that begin with '#' are just comments to you. Make sure you are root

Code:

vim /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask
  # This opens up the file that masks the server.
  # Scroll down until you find "Modularized X"
  # or just type...
/Modularized X
  # this should find the line and highlight "Modularized X"
  # The group of packages should span a few screens,
  # scroll down and look at what line it ends on; then, go
  # back to the top and find what line it starts on.  For this,
  # we will assume it starts on 672 and ends on 931. (Type
  # CTRL-G to get the line number displayed)
:672,931 yank
  # This grabbed the text, now we open the unmask file (Buffer Add)
:badd /etc/portage/package.unmask
  # And we switch to it (Buffer)
:b2
  # Paste the text (paste)
p
  # Just save and quit now (write and quit)
:wq

Note that some lines start by typing a ':' and others do not. At this point, if you
Code:
emerge xorg-x11 -vp
it should show version 7. If not, try following the advice about creating a virtual package found at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Modular_Xorg This is where I got my advice on how to do it. I used the alternate way of providing a virtual as found in the green note. Don't forget your input and video drivers from the x11-drivers category.

Good luck.
lefou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use my script eupdate-unstable. It is part of gentoolkit-lefou which itself you can find in my Portage overlay, or you can simply download only the script here: eupdate-unstable-0.2.1.pl

EDIT: The script needs also the scripts eunstable, eunmask and efullunmask, so it is easier to use the gentoolkit-lefou ebuild which installs all these. (If you don't use the overlay, don't forget to download the scripts in the files-directory!)

You call it like this:
Code:

eupdate-unstable =x11-base/xorg-x11-7.0

It presents you a choice of masked packages, so you just have to enter the number or 'a', which will autoselect the first package, if there is only one available.

If you see the message:
Code:
!!! no more packages to unmask

you can simply emerge with
Code:
emerge =x11-base/xorg-x11-7.0

Last edited by lefou on Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
dpetka2001
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@lefou can one use your script for other packages aswell except for xorg 7.0??

@anyone i am trying to emerge vim and this is what i get
Code:
emerge -pv --columns vim

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] dev-util/ctags                                         [5.5.4-r2]                     254 kB
[ebuild  N    ] app-editors/vim-core                                   [6.4]                          -acl -bash-completion -livecd +nls 4,752 kB
[ebuild  N    ] app-editors/vim                                        [6.4]                          -acl -bash-completion -cscope +gpm -minimal +nls +perl +python -ruby -vim-with-x 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] app-vim/gentoo-syntax                                  [20050618]                     -ignore-glep31 18 kB

Total size of downloads: 5,026 kB
could someone explain what the use flags "bash-completion", "cscope", "vim-with-x" and "ignore-glep31" are meant for if possible?? thanks...
lefou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my script work for every package.

:( But, atm, my server is down for at least one hour :cry:
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ignore the USE flags - those displayed are fine. Simply emerge vim with these.
lefou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpetka2001 wrote:
could someone explain what the use flags "bash-completion", "cscope", "vim-with-x" and "ignore-glep31" are meant for if possible?? thanks...

Code:
emerge gentoolkit -av
euse -i bash-completion cscope vim-with-x ignore-glep31

explains all those use-flags.
You can enable them (or disable) in the same way, e.g.:
Code:
euse -E bash-completion

Last edited by lefou on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
dpetka2001
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both for your answers...i will emerge vim with default flags...however if someone would happen to know the meaning of these flags i would be really greatful...just out of curiosity...
alkats
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: X-org v.7 on bare Gentoo system install [ABANDONED] Reply with quote

Well, first I would like to thank all who tried to help me. Secondly, the efforts went to no avail. The scripts available for everyone in the HOW-TO section did work and copied the bulk of file names in the “unmask” listing. However, when pasted in the “keywords” list all of file names were missing “~x86” suffix. I had to play a piano on my keyboard… but I did it with two intermissions. After that I issued command “emerge –p xorg-x11” to see the dependencies. Here I had bad times. I added a few missing files in “unmask” list and the same files went to “keywords” list. Unfortunately there was a circular dependency problem with application and/or atom “app-admin/……..-opengl” Sorry for the dots in the filename I just forgot the name of the file, but it is immaterial now. When trying to get more information from the manual page “man make.conf” about masking I read a phrase that using masked applications in testing “drains developer efforts.” This made me switch back to Xorg-11 v.6.8 I deleted all packages from “unmask” and “keyword” lists and flawlessly installed stable release of X. Everything worked except configuration. I had to cheat and copy KNOPPIX configuration file XF86Config-4 to xorg.conf… So, thank you all again and let the testing continue on its way and I will continue on my separate way…
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: