Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Macbook Pro
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
synss
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the keyboard not working in grub (or only 10% of the times), it got solved here at the last firmware update.

brullonulla wrote:
Ok people, I'm stuck at diskutil:

Code:
Macintosh-2:~ sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 60G "Linux" "Linux" 25G "Linux" "LinuxHome" 64G
Password:
Linux does not appear to be a valid file system format
Valid filesystems: "Journaled HFS+" "HFS+" "Case-sensitive HFS+" "Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+" "HFS" "MS-DOS FAT16" "MS-DOS FAT32" "MS-DOS FAT12" "MS-DOS" "UDF" "UFS" "ZFS"

Yes, it is pretty much telling you exactly what the problem is : OS X does not know of ext2/3 (or reiser, etc.) so you can create the partitions but not format them in OS X.

Actually, now that I have gentoo... I just use OS X... XCode is much nicer than any IDE I could find on Linux, I like its debugger. I am waiting for the people to finish the free ATI drivers (MBP2) too. And I never got my 19" external monitor to work the way I expect in Linux (i.e. I want it xinerama-like), and I got bored trying, too.

Anyway, I'll be back later ! (Still love gentoo.)
dreadhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brullonulla wrote:

edit: In the meantime, I installed rEFIt 0.10 (it seems to work) and just resized the OS X partition (dropped anything after "60G" in the diskutil command).

It seems I can use GNU Parted to create the Linux partitions, since Parted is somewhat GPT-aware (and you can resync partition tables with rEFIt partitioning tool. any experience on that?)

Yes... once, the MacOSX disk is resized you are fine with parted. Just reboot after and select the resync button in your rEFIt boot loader.
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reports good or bad on upgrading a macbook with an existing Gentoo install to Leopard? Does the linux side still boot correctly after the upgrade? Are there any special steps to be taken that make life easier?
brullonulla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. I've repartitioned using the graphical live cd GParted 0.3.4-10 to use parted more easily.

For who is interested: the GParted livecd (Gentoo-based by the way!) booted successfully, only little annoyance it didn't recognize the touchpad. Hotplugging an USB mouse works perfectly.

Rebooted, synced with rEFIt, it seems to work. OS X seems happily unaffected.
Olivia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I am trying to install Gentoo on my MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16 Radeon X1600. I have triple boot with rEFIt(Leopard, Linux and Vista). Firstly I had Debian but I want Gentoo now.

What's the best way of installing it? Neither on liveDVD nor liveCD X start (some errors and it asks if I want see them).
dreadhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no use for X when installing gentoo...

[edit]
if you need to browse the installation handbook during installation on the same machine you could use links2
tetonedge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Suspend Reply with quote

I was wondering if anybody has suspend to ram working with the new kernel 2.6.23 and the newest ati drivers and if so how? Thanks

Also je_fro i was curiouss how to use your overlay when someone already has ati-drivers installed, it won't emerge your version, just wants to rebuild the current one. Thanks
Olivia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm I managed to start X. But when I am trying the installer i get:

Code:

localhost being added to access control list
Exception received while loading partitions from device /dev/sda

cfdisk
Code:

FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 3: Partition ends in the final partial cylind

fdisk
Code:

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1          26      204819+  ee  EFI GPT
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2              26        9164    73400320   af  Unknown
/dev/sda4           11791       14594    22513072    7  HPFS/NTFS

I made partitions when I was installing Leopard. 3partitions scheme.

What should I do?
dreadhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you haave synchronized your partitioning scheme with rEFIt after partitioning in MacOSX?

btw. I'd suggest using parted. It's just better than fdisk on macs.
Olivia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean update MBR table?

When my mac started up i choosed refit partitiong tool, and it updated mbr.
stardotstar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akkara wrote:
Any reports good or bad on upgrading a macbook with an existing Gentoo install to Leopard? Does the linux side still boot correctly after the upgrade? Are there any special steps to be taken that make life easier?

Upgrading to Leopard should not require anything more than possibly reinstalling/re-enabling rEFIt (if you are using it) otherwise the existing partitions should be available using the "option" key on startup anyway.

Mind you I didn't do the upgrade from tiger to leopard but am doing a new build of everything. In my experience I have found refit and OSX/Apple Firmware upgrades pretty painless.
Sorry I don't have a direct experience for you on this but if I had decided to do the upgrade I would have proceeded without expecting issues - maybe someone else could confirm that this would have been unexpectedly foolhardy ;-)
HTH;Will
cocide
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: PulseAudio Reply with quote

So I have noticed that sound in a v3 doesn't work, figured it would be good to mention that I put a fedora 8 live disk in last night out of curiosity and the sound had full support. fedora 8 is using pulseaudio, and it is mentioned to work in gentoo, unfortunately I have not been too successful yet, but any help would be great.

also, i have not been able to start pommed:
andy@Aura ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/pommed start
* Loading ALSA modules ...
* Loading: snd-card-0 ... [ ok ]
* Loading: snd-pcm-oss ... [ ok ]
* Loading: snd-seq ... [ ok ]
* Restoring Mixer Levels ... [ ok ]
* Starting D-BUS system messagebus ... [ ok ]
* Running pommed daemon ... [ !! ]
andy@Aura ~ $

has anyone else had this problem or know any solution?
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cocide : alsa works here, update to a recent kernel if you didnt already. Apparently alsa starts correctly in your output, check if its not somehting like muted speakers and such.
For v3 youll need at least pommed v. 1.8 iirc.

@dreadhead : im somewhat confused in what refers the remote control.
I finnally got it to work with lirc and also want to try out the patch you posted in the wiki, i have it loaded but dont know what interface uses this ? How do you make it work using this driver ?

TIA
dreadhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: PulseAudio Reply with quote

cocide wrote:
So I have noticed that sound in a v3 doesn't work, figured it would be good to mention that I put a fedora 8 live disk in last night out of curiosity and the sound had full support. fedora 8 is using pulseaudio, and it is mentioned to work in gentoo, unfortunately I have not been too successful yet, but any help would be great.

also, i have not been able to start pommed:
andy@Aura ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/pommed start
* Loading ALSA modules ...
* Loading: snd-card-0 ... [ ok ]
* Loading: snd-pcm-oss ... [ ok ]
* Loading: snd-seq ... [ ok ]
* Restoring Mixer Levels ... [ ok ]
* Starting D-BUS system messagebus ... [ ok ]
* Running pommed daemon ... [ !! ]
andy@Aura ~ $

has anyone else had this problem or know any solution?

use alsa-driver from portage...
brullonulla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the correct x86 32 bit CFLAGS for the newest MacBook Pro Santa Rosa? -march=nocona?
dreadhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brullonulla wrote:
What are the correct x86 32 bit CFLAGS for the newest MacBook Pro Santa Rosa? -march=nocona?
Yes... I use nocona and everything runs well.
brullonulla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Now (sorry for the continuous requests) what I really would love is a working kernel config for that thing... :)
dreadhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brullonulla wrote:
Thanks! Now (sorry for the continuous requests) what I really would love is a working kernel config for that thing... :)

There are quite a lot configs in the wiki... Anyways, here is mine for vanilla-sources-2.6.22.9
brullonulla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've seen the configs in the wiki. However many of them are outdated or refer to MBPs different from my one (ATI card vs NVIDIA,etc.), other apparently leave out important things as wireless, others still are for x86-64 systems. I'm not that good in tweaking kernel configuration (although I usually compile my kernel by myself, I'm always doing it with some anxiety...) so I'd like to hear from someone that confirms a fully working system. Thank you a lot, dreadhead -I will download vanilla-sources and using it. Btw, are vanilla-sources better than gentoo-sources, for the MBP, or it was just your personal choice / are you using mactel patches?

Are mactel patches / mactel-sources still necessary or latest kernels can be made to work without them?

Broadcasting to others: Having a 2.6.23 config for the MBP Santa Rosa latest generation, fully working, anyone? :)
dreadhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brullonulla wrote:
Yes, I've seen the configs in the wiki. However many of them are outdated or refer to MBPs different from my one (ATI card vs NVIDIA,etc.), other apparently leave out important things as wireless, others still are for x86-64 systems. I'm not that good in tweaking kernel configuration (although I usually compile my kernel by myself, I'm always doing it with some anxiety...) so I'd like to hear from someone that confirms a fully working system. Thank you a lot, dreadhead -I will download vanilla-sources and using it. Btw, are vanilla-sources better than gentoo-sources, for the MBP, or it was just your personal choice / are you using mactel patches?

I'm using vanilla-sources because gentoo-sources-2.6.22-rx have problems with high resolution timers and the boot process hangs about 60% of the time.
Quote:

Are mactel patches / mactel-sources still necessary or latest kernels can be made to work without them?

No. You don't need the mactel-patches any more. But I would suggest them becaue for example the touchpad works much smoother with them included. Also, with the MBP v3 (Santa Rosa) you will need a patch derived from mactel-patches to get the Remote Control working.
Quote:

Broadcasting to others: Having a 2.6.23 config for the MBP Santa Rosa latest generation, fully working, anyone? :)

I have read already about the 2.6.23 working on the Santa Rosa. I think there should be no problem... Just copy the 2.6.22 config to /usr/src/linux-2.6.23/.config and run "make oldconfig". There will be a few question you'll have to answer. But I think you should be able to answer them. Just use "?" for help if youre unsure.
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you will need a patch derived from mactel-patches to get the Remote Control working

apparently not, macmini driver from lirc and remote control works here.

cheers
brullonulla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadhead wrote:

I'm using vanilla-sources because gentoo-sources-2.6.22-rx have problems with high resolution timers and the boot process hangs about 60% of the time.

I've met that, in fact, rebooting the gentoo install!
Thanks for the tip.

dreadhead wrote:

I have read already about the 2.6.23 working on the Santa Rosa. I think there should be no problem... Just copy the 2.6.22 config to /usr/src/linux-2.6.23/.config and run "make oldconfig". There will be a few question you'll have to answer. But I think you should be able to answer them. Just use "?" for help if youre unsure.

OK, thanks.
genmich
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to set the back-light while/after grub is starting?
brullonulla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadhead, I have two kernel-related questions for you:

1)it seems I can't play sound with your kernel. :( I emerged alsa-drivers (it seemed alsa drivers weren't compiled in), run alsaconf, unmuted etc. ...it SEEMS to play but I hear no sound. I tried with unstable alsa-drivers, and alsa-lib refuses to compile. Do I have to recompile the kernel or there is some easy solution just under my nose that I can't see?
edit: I tried alsa-9999, compiling alsa drivers in the kernel, every conceivable muting/unmuting, /etc/modules.d/alsa options. Only result, now I have a red light coming out of my headphone jack (which is silent). What should I do?

2)How do you manage suspend to ram? I tried the s2ram and klaptopdaemon. s2ram --force puts me in black screen after resume. klaptopdaemon SEEMS to manage suspend correctly, only to get kernel oopses and random segfaults later.
edit: s2ram -f -p -m seems to work. Wireless dies however :(

I'm asking to you because I'm using your .config/kernel combination and I want to know from you before attemping to patch/recompile kernels. Thanks! :)
brullonulla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.
No idea for the audio?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 28 of 29

Jump to: