Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
mencoder constant audio delay (ffmpeg related?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarChul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: mencoder constant audio delay (ffmpeg related?) Reply with quote

hi,

whenever i try to encode dvds to mpeg4 with mencoder, i can see a constant audio delay of about 200-500 ms. i tried reemerging mplayer, ffmpeg, even my whole system (during a recent upgrade to gcc 3.4). nothing helped.

it doesn't matter if i reencode to mp3 with lame or use -oac copy. i haven't tried a different video codec, but since the sound problem seems to be the same regardless of the audio encoding, my guess is it's a video codec problem.

Code:

cat vob/020/foobar-00* | mencoder -noskip -vf crop=696:424:12:78,hqdn3d=2:1:2,scale=640:288 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1800:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:cmp=3:subcmp=3:mbcmp=3:autoaspect:vpass=1 -o /dev/null -aid 129 -
cat vob/020/foobar-00* | mencoder -noskip -vf crop=696:424:12:78,hqdn3d=2:1:2,scale=640:288 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1800:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:cmp=3:subcmp=3:mbcmp=3:autoaspect:vpass=2 -o baz.avi -aid 129 -

my mplayer (latest stable) is now compiled with custom-cflags (-O2 -march=pentium-m, -pipe, -fomit-frame-pointer, nothing fancy), but this didn't change anything either.

ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20051216
mplayer-1.0_pre7-r1

i also tried transcode, seems to have similar results.

for now i'm muxing into the matroska container where i can set the audo delay before muxing. but i'd also like to create regular avis.

all help is appreciated
Attila
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiho,

I have the same problem with some DVD's - first i thought i made something wrong, but i found out this depends on the DVD ...

I use transcode with the "-D" option (in my case "-D -25")

Atti
moob7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: mencoder constant audio delay (ffmpeg related?) Reply with quote

TarChul wrote:
hi,

whenever i try to encode dvds to mpeg4 with mencoder, i can see a constant audio delay of about 200-500 ms. i tried reemerging mplayer, ffmpeg, even my whole system (during a recent upgrade to gcc 3.4). nothing helped.

it doesn't matter if i reencode to mp3 with lame or use -oac copy. i haven't tried a different video codec, but since the sound problem seems to be the same regardless of the audio encoding, my guess is it's a video codec problem.

Interesting. I found this thread because I am having a similar probelm: I get a (nearly) constant delay of 100 to 200 ms). What is interesting is that I did not have this problem until this week when I did an emerge world. So something in the lavc codec libraries and/or mencoder may have changed and gone wacky. I suppose we should both try emerging an older version of mencoder and <??other packages??>. :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: