no sound after update, artsmessage: invalid argument
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmueller42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: no sound after update, artsmessage: invalid argument Reply with quote

When I start KDE (or restart the sound system in the Control Center), I get the following error message (and sound does not work):

Informational - artsmessage
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (Invalid argument)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

The error occured after the latest updates (ermerge --update --deep --newuse world). Unfortunetely I do not know which packages got updated (how can I find out?), but KDE was among them. I also compiled and installed a new kernel and the kernel modules, in case the driver chnged. I am using the following driver, compiled into the kernel, and that used to work fine:

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ---> PCI devices ---> Intel/SiS/nVidia/AMD/ALi AC97 Controller

If you need more information to help me, please tell me how to obtain it. Thanks!

Christoph
cmueller42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Using alsa-driver does not help Reply with quote

I have installed alsa-driver instead of the driver that was built into the kernel, but the problem persists. I still have no sound in KDE and still get the same error message. However, programs such as mplayer produce sound. I would still appreciate any help!

Christoph
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: