View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CooKies37
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Aero effect in DE? Reply with quote

hi, i wonder is it possible to make the window half-transparent, crystal style in any Desktop Environment in Gentoo???....just like the Aero Effect in the Window Vista...any ideas on how to do this?

thanks.
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen such stuff at kde-look, but don't ask me wich one it was.

cheers

SteveB
Teetante
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might wanna have a look at how to setup the Composite Extension(gentoo-wiki)
ICQ #81510866 - http://the-gay-bar.com - MSN tante@emptiness.de
Occam's Razor:
-"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem."-
deezid86
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a screenshot of my OpenSuSE 10.0 :lol:
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/9045/vistasulin2wt.png

I'm using the following apps and styles:
KDE 3.5
Nvidia Driver 8178
Xorg 6.8.2 with Composite and RenderAccel (very fast, even on my Geforce2MX400 with 64mb)

Crystal Windeco:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=13969

Qtcurve (a nice style for QT, GTK2 and even GTK1 apps): http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=5065&vote=good&tan=68286850

Vista Inpirate Icons for KDE:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=31585

regards, Dennis
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deezid86 wrote:
Xorg 6.8.2 with Composite and RenderAccel (very fast, even on my Geforce2MX400 with 64mb)
I tried using Xorg 7.0 with Composite and RenderAccel on a GeForce4 MX 440 @ 2048x1536 and it is very slow. What screen resolution did/are you using?

cheers

SteveB
deezid86
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 1280x1024.
It wasn't slower than 1024x768 here.

regards Dennis
CooKies37
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm...thanks guys for all the links....

however, after i look at those screenshot...i find that it still can't achieve the 'aero' effect, which means that, the title bar is actually not crystal tranparent.....it still blending using the wallpaper as background......

anyone have the real transparent window screen shot here? which when u overlap the window, u can see through the title bar, and see the things underneath it....

1 more things is the 'corner' X close button, which can also be transparent with animation!! this is quite amazing by utilizing the png's alpha channel i think....

any WM can do that? thanks...
zehnan1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CooKies37 wrote:

however, after i look at those screenshot...i find that it still can't achieve the 'aero' effect, which means that, the title bar is actually not crystal tranparent.....it still blending using the wallpaper as background......

anyone have the real transparent window screen shot here? which when u overlap the window, u can see through the title bar, and see the things underneath it....

Er... deezid86's screen has a very real transparency. You CAN see through to the window behind. Or is it that you don't want to see thorugh, only to see the background?
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zehnan1 wrote:
CooKies37 wrote:

Er... deezid86's screen has a very real transparency. You CAN see through to the window behind. Or is it that you don't want to see thorugh, only to see the background?

His point is that you also see the wallpaper everywhere, don't think he likes that.
deezid86
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
zehnan1 wrote:
CooKies37 wrote:

His point is that you also see the wallpaper everywhere, don't think he likes that.

Yes, that's true.
I use half-composite-transparency (kompmgr) and half fake-transparency (crystal). It's not possible to use blurring with composite like in vista.
But it is no problem to use composite-transparency.

It would look like that with a black windeco (crystal)
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2557/vistasulin23js.png

regards, Dennis
ianegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the crystal windeco let you use a different image for the background, like a frosty noise pattern, instead of the wallpaper, I think it could look pretty good. Still not fancy shader effects or anything, but better than seeing the wallpaper on top of the other windows, which I hate too!

EDIT: I posted a screenshot on KDE-look, it's a bit ugly, but I think demonstrates what I mean.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianegg wrote:
If the crystal windeco let you use a different image for the background, like a frosty noise pattern, instead of the wallpaper, I think it could look pretty good. Still not fancy shader effects or anything, but better than seeing the wallpaper on top of the other windows, which I hate too!

EDIT: I posted a screenshot on KDE-look, it's a bit ugly, but I think demonstrates what I mean.

It's a little small screenshot, but I can see, it does look better.
Keep us posted.
ianegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the preview small, but if you click the download link, you'll get the full size image. My desktop is 1920x1200, so I thought I should make a smaller preview.

It actually looks quite ugly close up, since I just used the gimp to make a greyscale noise pattern. I'll look for a nicer texture though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: