View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: The keyboard became dead on KDE Reply with quote

Hi ! I was typing a message on the browser Bon Echo and no new caracter was appearing anymore when I pressed a key. Unable to switch virtual desktop by pressing Ctrl+Fn, the keyboard was dead, only the mouse was working. I closed the session. I probably press a shortcut by accident, but witch one and how can I recover the keyboard fonctionnality after that?
arghnoname
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this happen to me before (on Kubuntu at work). I never figured out what the cause was, but going into the keyboard settings and changing settings around (I think sticky keys on, apply, and then off again worked) got it working again.

I thought it was kind of crappy.
rickj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this happen too. Exit KDE, the keyboard is functional, type startx and away you go.

I don't think it's the hardware, because when the keyboard is in the "failed" state I still get a fake keyclick on the PC speaker for each key press.

As arghnoname says, it's not the behaviour one would wish from high-quality software.
pgolik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing this problem too from time to time - keyboard stops responding, but pressing Capslock or NumLock does activate the corresponding LED, mouse functions normally. Usually goes away after some clicking around, at worst have to restart X. Nothing suspicious appears in the logs. Xorg 7.1, KDE 3.5.5, PS2 Logitech keyboard on amd64.
One thing - it's more likely to happen after resume from suspend to RAM (S3).
dj_farid
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had this happened three times so far lately. I read in some of the new changelogs for the latest kernels that there has been a fix for a similar problem.
pgolik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dj_farid wrote:
I read in some of the new changelogs for the latest kernels that there has been a fix for a similar problem.

I'm on gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r2, had this problem at least since 2.6.17, maybe earlier (hard to tell, it's only recently that I got S3 sleep working).
dj_farid
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dj_farid wrote:
I too had this happened three times so far lately. I read in some of the new changelogs for the latest kernels that there has been a fix for a similar problem.

This is the changelog I was thinking of:
Quote:
*gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r3 (05 Jan 2007) 05 Jan 2007; Daniel Drake (dsd) +gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r3.ebuild: Fix loss of keyboard/mouse.

I have had this problem only after I switched from some 2.6.18 kernel to 2.6.19.
rickj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on vanilla-sources 2.6.17.13. If it's a kernel problem the fix has not reached this version. Encouraging.
dj_farid
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still having this problem.
I am using ck-sources 2.6.19, amd64.
The problem seems to come after some time of inactivity. If I walk away from the computer and come back. I have had this happen maybe 5 times for the last 2-3 months. Happens both in KDE and fluxbox.
It is not possible to restart or shut down the computer completely after this has happened. The shut down process starts, but then it just stops with a blinking cursor at the top left corner. Other than this and the keyboard not responding, everything else seems to work these few occasions.
Any ideas?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: