AMD64, raid - success! Feedback & questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geraint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: AMD64, raid - success! Feedback & questions Reply with quote

I am new to gentoo (I've been a mandrake user for many years) and am setting up gentoo on on a AMD64 box (Asus K8U-X motherboard) with SATA based RAID 1.

Since I was looking for a new distro I tried Fedora 4, Debian Sarge, Opensuse 10.0 and gentoo 2005.1r1. The Fedora install disk kept panicing, Debian didn't recognise my disks or network card - it was only opensuse and gentoo that got past the first hurdle. Opensuse was bloated and really got confused about the network setup. So 10/10 to gentoo :D .

Feedback
  • An update to the software raid wiki entry may be good since it clearly dates from before stage3 was the only supported install route - as a complete newbie I don't think I'm yet qualified to tackle that though.
  • An example of a typical USE setup in make.config for x86_64 users would be handy
  • Suggesting that doing a
    Code:
    emerge --update --deep world
    before installing X.org etc. is probably a good idea?

Question
  • (OT) What is a safe way to test my raid setup - is there any harm in just unplugging a sata lead?

Thanks guys

Geraint
hansmaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is a typical make.conf file, but this is the one I have - and it works (ie. everything compiles and nothing crashes 8) )

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -ffast-math -mfpmath=sse -msse2 -mmmx -m3dnow"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"

USE="qt gtk2 alsa oss arts xmms cdr lm_sensors logitech-mouse nvidia opengl java live real network nas nptl nptlonly avi mpeg ffmpeg oggvorbis userlocales -multilib nls imlib2 madwifi wifi lcms svg symlink -gnome -mozilla" # truetype mozsvg canvas

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
ALSA_CARDS="via82xx"

LINGUAS="nb no nb_NO"

CCACHE_SIZE="2G"
FEATURES="ccache prelink" # distcc"
CCACHE_SIZE="2G"

The # are remark-signs that I use to tweak my make.conf without actually deleting the commands.

As a person with previous knowledge of Linux, I'd say you know enough to jump straight into a stage1 install. That was what I did, and I had only testted Suse & RedHat linux for a few months before trying Gentoo. Never looked back since!

The first you have to do after you have unpacked the stage & profile file, is to edit your make.conf so that you get the best software for your machine.
After you've done your stage1 (or stage3 if you are chicken :lol: ) install, you reboot into your own tailormade kernel (you need this if you are going to boot of a raid disk).

Then all you need is to do
Code:
# emerge sync
# emerge -uvDaN world

to get your install so far up to speed. From here on, your machine will download all the programs you want to install, so the first thing you need to do is to get online!

After you've compiled your kernel & software, you can look here http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=app-benchmarks for programs that will test your raid-setup.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: