View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpep01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: .xsession-errors Reply with quote

I've had a bit of a problem (I believe it actually started after emerging OpenOffice, but, I can't verify that) with my box freezing up for several minutes at at time. No matter how much I searched my standard logs, I was unable to find any reference as to the source of the problem.

The other morning in happened again, so I began looking harder at my system, and ran into a little (presently 1,362,876Kb) file in my /Home dir called .xsession-errors. It jumped out at me, since the time of the last file change corresponded with the temporary and obnoxious freeze of my box. Danged, there is a lot of reading material to figure out in that file.

The first place I started looking was at the man pages for "X." Gosh, those man pages are far more geared towards hackers than I could possible understand. The "See Also" section alone made my eyes glaze over. (Twas a good thing I had to go to work, otherwise I would have become even more lost and confused.)

As a means of better maintaining and correlating these "freezing" events, I'd love to do a couple of things wth that .xsession-errors file.

First, I would prefer that this file be placed in a more centralized location - regardless of the user logged in (I can't get the family off of the windows box, so, I'm the only one on the Linux Box). .That centrailized location, to me, would be under /var/logs.

Second, the lack of date/time format in this error log is greatly annoying. It makes event correlation that much more difficult. So, I would like to add these lines to the config file for the error logs as well. Since the system is presently set to log the errors into a specific /home file (depending on the user of the moment), a line should also be added as to whom that user was at the moment of the error.

I've tried, through "locate" to find the appropriate file, but, X is so big. A non-hacker such as myself is hopelessly lost.

If someone would kindly give me a clue as to where to start my searching so that I might bring this error log into better control (yes, logrotate will heppen on this one until I figure out and clean up the problems), I'd be most appreciative.

Incidentally, the most verbose logging over the psst week has been the following line (which was the line that caused the freeze when I discovered the file):

Code:
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:819:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

I know that I said at the top that the problems seem to have started after emerging OpenOffice. These problems were not occuring after I finished putting ALSA together (which preceded OpenOffice). Granted, I still have a lot of earlier error reading to look through to figure out what is happening, but, the above code is presently the only thing showing in the error log.

Tis interesting to note that this error log will occur even when I'm not at home, and no one is using this box. So, it's one of those silly error codes that has nothing to do with what is actually occuring with the system at the moment - much like a USB logging problem I'm having trouble with.

Thanx
MEW
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least on my system, the logging is setup by the script /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession (I use XDM). (Specifically, the critical line is 'exec > "$errfile" 2>&1', and errfile has been set to "$HOME/.xsession-errors".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: