passing underfined mode on install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtlosx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: passing underfined mode on install Reply with quote

hey guys, i have an old machine here i'm trying to get gentoo on just to play around wtih, it's a 200mhz box, nothing special but should be enough to get command line running, yea i know emerge's will take days but i'm not worried :P nothing critical.

i'm trying to install gentoo and it's complaining about me passing an undefined mode.. the video card is a cheesey pci vga card.... i try to go to the modes, i do scan, and it just goes back to the same screen looks like it does nothing... how would i go about getting around this because later on in the install it fails all over with the splashscreen and what not... any ideas?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your video card can't handle the fancy framebuffer video modes that the LiveCD tries to use, this is no big deal. Try booting with the "gentoo-nofb" kernel instead of the default "gentoo" one.
Code:
boot : gentoo-nofb

BTW, welcome to the Gentoo forums :)
xtlosx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woohoo! i knew there had to be a way to get around the splash screen, knew you guys wouldn't have excluded these old machines :)

now i get to sit back and play call of duty 2 on the xbox360 all day as this thing compiles, well actually more like all weekend :)
thanks man!!!! cheers!

edit:

ahhh damn something must be wrong with this box, i dont know what it is, it gets like right to install when i do net-setup it bitches about hda having problems or something.... so i tried another hard drive and it says the same thing and i know for a fact the HD is just fine...... but this machine had run slackware for over a year not too long ago without any problems, is gentoo really picky with hardware? or am i just retarded, i got a gentoo box runnin' at school without any problems, and might i say, EMERGE OWNS

:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: