Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
install gentoo on a 200 mhz laptop with 32 mb ram ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nesbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: install gentoo on a 200 mhz laptop with 32 mb ram ? Reply with quote

hi,

does it make sence to install gentoo on a 200 mhz laptop with 32 mb ram ?

i read the install manuel and it says to install gentoo and to compile it you need min. 64 mb ram...

is it possible to install gentoo linux on this old laptop... and how long does it take ?

thx
nesbo
Firebirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will take a long time (if you do a stage 1, it could take half a week, wild guess)!

If you have a large enough hd., you should probably make at least 96 MB (preferably 128 MB) swap, and have it on constantly.

I would recommend doing a stage 3, which should take no more than a day (another wild guess).

-- F. Nietzsche "Thus spoke Zarathustra"
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiling stuff on that will take forever, I suggest Debian.
K0byB0y
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you don't install from sources. With that laptop precompiled binaries are the way to go :)

-Koby
nesbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for your help,

but till now i`m not sure what to do... i already use debian on this laptop and its fine but slow (really) - and this is my main rease to use gentoo on this laptop, is there a different speed i`ve i use a gentoo stage2 to install or is debian the best choose and no different in the speed ?

nesbo
goatdemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesbo wrote:
thx for your help,

but till now i`m not sure what to do... i already use debian on this laptop and its fine but slow (really) - and this is my main rease to use gentoo on this laptop, is there a different speed i`ve i use a gentoo stage2 to install or is debian the best choose and no different in the speed ?

nesbo

on my 233mhz 80meg ram laptop i have slackware 8.1 installed and it moves at a very decent speed, faster than win98. ive stripped it down to 17 processes, running fluxbox, Opera (web browser) and i can even get open office to run decently on it.. once you get past the OO startup. anyway, id go with slackware and then strip it even further... get more memory if possible.
800mHz AMD Athlon, 384 Megs of Ram, 32 meg NVIDIA GeForce2 MX video Card with tv out, 2x 20 Gig harddrives, Amptron 17" monitor, SpaceWalker AI61 mobo, 12x10x32 CDRW drive, 12x DVD ROM, Logitech IFeel optical mouse
hackerError
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goatdemon wrote:

on my 233mhz 80meg ram laptop i have slackware 8.1 installed and it moves at a very decent speed, faster than win98. ive stripped it down to 17 processes, running fluxbox, Opera (web browser) and i can even get open office to run decently on it.. once you get past the OO startup. anyway, id go with slackware and then strip it even further... get more memory if possible.

on my 150megahertz 32mb ram laptop I have slackware on it and it handles decently.
it took awhile to get it configured right(x took a month to run well) but its dandy now
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go for it! I had no problem getting Gentoo on my PentiumMMX 166MHz with 48 MB RAM. I started with a stage3 and 150 MB swap. You should not have a problem. OK, so compiling will take some time... 8)

There's actually a thread on installing Gentoo on insanely minimal machines here.[/url]
joshua
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are your experiences so far, did you do it?

Currently I am at installing gentoo on my old 233mmx notebook. This is the second try, the first one suscceeded, but I installed too much stuff so that the 3gb hd was full. Gnome 2 is not what You want to use on such a machine. I think, I'll better use fluxbox.

Oh, compiling from sources is bearable if you start at stage 3 and emerge distcc.

Have fun!
aengus9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it. I installed from a stage 3 on a P100 with 40 MB of RAM. I used a 128 Meg swap file. The "emerge -u system" took just under 3 days to complete. Glibc alone took a day. I'm using this machine only as a web and file server and it seems to be working fine. The hardest part was finding a way to boot the darn thing. I had to use teh slackware install disks.

Good luck
Biker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aengus9 wrote:
Go for it. I installed from a stage 3 on a P100 with 40 MB of RAM. I used a 128 Meg swap file.

Pentium 90, 64MB RAM, stage 1. Eight days. :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: