View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: SOLVED: What replaces /usr/bin/xpdf when you switch to poppl Reply with quote

I have used the xpdf executable from the xpdf ebuild almost exclusively for viewing pdfs. It is fast and works well most of the time. Now that things are switching to poppler, I found that no xpdf binary is emerged. What viewer replaces it? I really don't want to load in gnome or kde just to get a pdf viewer (ie. I don't want to use kpdf or gpdf). Is there a reason not to have xpdf?

Last edited by Raffi on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
CorpseOfMystic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point of libpoppler is that it is a library, not an application. If you want xpdf, then install xpdf, not libpoppler. There are a couple good reasons to not use xpdf. First, it sucks. It lacks a lot of features. Individual xpdf branches embedded in other apps included much more. In particular kpdf's xpdf is much more powerful, and they are migrating those features into libpoppler, meaning other viewers like evince can use them. okular is by far the best pdf/generic viewer available. Worse, xpdf is extremely insecure. libpoppler is slightly less problematic. More people will be working on libpoppler so fixes will probably make it into xpdf later. I suggest you swallow your pride and install a better pdf viewer.
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: SOLVED: What replaces /usr/bin/xpdf when you switch to poppl Reply with quote

Ahh... I did not realize that the new xpdf would work. I thought it was still blocked. Thanks.

My dislike of kpdf is not a pride thing, I just don't want to add bloat on my system when it is unnecessary.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
[blocks B     ] <app-text/xpdf-3.01-r4 (is blocking app-text/poppler-0.4.3-r4)

it's not xpdf which is blocked it xpdf which is blocking poppler , which is being called for by the new cups ebuild.
Code:

emerge -u -t cups
[ebuild     U ]  net-print/cups-1.1.23-r7 [1.1.23-r4]
[ebuild  N    ]   app-text/poppler-0.4.3-r4 

Blocked does not mean package does not work, its a dependancy clash.

If you wish to continue using such a suckky pdf viewer that you are satisfied with rather than installing serveral hundred megs of software so that you can have a "much more powerful one", you could mask the new cups version in /etc/portage/package.mask unless you think there's something you need in the newer one.

There was a security issue in xpdf about a year or two ago, gksa-check does not show any current issues. You'd certainly expose yourself to more issues than that in a similar period if you installed the whole kde outfit ,

HTH 8)
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:

Blocked does not mean package does not work, its a dependancy clash.

This I already knew. What I did not know is that the updated xpdf used poppler instead of its own stuff.
Gentree wrote:

If you wish to continue using such a suckky pdf viewer that you are satisfied with rather than installing serveral hundred megs of software so that you can have a "much more powerful one", you could mask the new cups version in /etc/portage/package.mask unless you think there's something you need in the newer one.

Or better yet, just re-emerge xpdf after you emerge poppler.

As far as loading several hundred megs of software I don't need except for a pdf viewer, I'd rather load Acrobat. It's under 100Meg (though not by much).
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I did not know is that the updated xpdf used poppler instead of its own stuff.
Neither did I , I misunderstood your post. Thanks for pointing that out.

My other remark was just a retorque to the silly swallow your pride comment above. :wink:
CalPaterson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorpseOfMystic wrote:
okular is by far the best pdf/generic viewer available.

I'm willing to try it, but i can't find it in portage. Can you tell me what the packagename is?
CorpseOfMystic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalPaterson wrote:
CorpseOfMystic wrote:
okular is by far the best pdf/generic viewer available.

I'm willing to try it, but i can't find it in portage. Can you tell me what the packagename is?

It isn't in portage. I believe you would have to get out of the KDE svn. okular is basically a generalized kpdf that is intended to replace it and the other KDE viewers (kpdf, kghostview, kdvi). It is similar to evince or preview, but has a lot more features and its extensible with plugins to support new formats. Compared to evince it is has more features and supports 2-3x more formats out of the box, with a couple dozen more if you install kword. I should not have said it was the best available, since I don't believe it is publically available in an official sense.
CalPaterson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorpseOfMystic wrote:

It isn't in portage. I believe you would have to get out of the KDE svn. okular is basically a generalized kpdf that is intended to replace it and the other KDE viewers (kpdf, kghostview, kdvi). It is similar to evince or preview, but has a lot more features and its extensible with plugins to support new formats. Compared to evince it is has more features and supports 2-3x more formats out of the box, with a couple dozen more if you install kword. I should not have said it was the best available, since I don't believe it is publically available in an official sense.

It sounds good, but since I'm not dieing for something to replace what I have, I'll just wait for it to be released. It always seems that the KDE project releases some of the nicest (feature wise) programs
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: