View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcmuse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: configuring xorg Reply with quote

hi.

i'm trying to configure xorg properly with some nvidia drivers. Right now i dont have any xorg config in /etc/X11/ so im guessing i need to make one. i tried Xorg -configure, but that doesn't work. When i run it, it creates /root/xorg.conf.new. i have already emerged nvidia-glx so i think this is why it detects driver as "nvidia" but this doesnt work -- it says something about not being able to load nvidia modules. so i change the nvidia to nv and then i get some other errors.

the only way i can boot is if i remove xorg.conf.new. Is there an easier way to do this?
VStrider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: 1 to Rule All way, Moria Gate, Middle Earth, SAU 70N

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Xorg doesn't read /root/Xorg.conf.new. It looks for /etc/X11/Xorg.conf and if it's not there, it will try to probe your system and create a conf on the fly. You need to have an xorg.conf cause if you don't, xorg won't create a good config for your system. Many of the options would be the defaults.

Try xorgconfig. It will basically ask you a few questions and will create a config for you. You might still need to tweak some of the values though.

If you want to use the nvidia drivers, you need nvidia not nv. Please read the gentoo nvidia guide and the Xorg guide. There's also alot of info in these forums if you search for xorg or nvidia.
jcmuse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, maybe i didnt make myself clear.

i am following that guide, and have _already emerged nvidia-glx_ and done some of the other steps, but when i set the driver as "nvidia" and try to startx i get an error. it says it fails to load nvidia modules and then says "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."
BlackSash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcmuse wrote:
sorry, maybe i didnt make myself clear.

i am following that guide, and have _already emerged nvidia-glx_ and done some of the other steps, but when i set the driver as "nvidia" and try to startx i get an error. it says it fails to load nvidia modules and then says "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."

you can always try a "modprobe nvidia" and see if that will load the module for you. If that doesn't work, try re-emerging nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx or pinch the binary driver from www.nvidia.com and install that. (The portage drivers don't work for me, so I use the binary).

once you get the nvidia module to load, put an entry for "nvidia" in your /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel2.6 (or 2.4 if you use that) to load it on startup

this in formation is on a "Works For Me" and "YMMV" basis. ;)
VStrider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: 1 to Rule All way, Moria Gate, Middle Earth, SAU 70N

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcmuse wrote:
when i set the driver as "nvidia" and try to startx i get an error. it says it fails to load nvidia modules and then says "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."

Type lsmod|grep nvidia to see if the nvidia module is loaded. If there's no output, then it's not. In this case type modprobe nvidia. If there's no output, that's a good sign. The module is loaded. Type lsmod|grep nvidia again and you'll see it. Now all you need is to add nvidia to your /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, so that you get this module loaded automagically on each boot. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: