View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElroyJetson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Mouse stops responding after upgrades Reply with quote

Hi! I just went through some hell trying to get my nvidia card to work again after a recent emerge -u world. Turns out that a recent gcc upgrade to 3.4 compiling the module wouldn't load in kernel compiled at 3.3. Uggh... So that's finally sorted out! :-)

Now, when X or KDE starts, the mouse is unresponsive. I haven't changed my xorg.config file, and hope that someone know of something I should start looking at? Is there another module or something that needs to be recompiled under gcc 3.4?

Linux 2.6.8-gentoo-r3 i686
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2

Thanks!
"elroy"
quickshiftin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i encounted this same issue recently during a kernel upgrade. i went through and tried to match up the new kernel as closely to the old one as possible, and then it seemed to work again. i know this isnt very helpful as the issue fixed itself as mysteriously as it appeared in my case. :?
however, you could always try
# Xorg -configure
remember to back up your current configuration first.
and see if that gets you a working mouse. i know this probably isnt the solution youre looking for, but it might get your mouse back while you get to the bottom of the current issue.
ElroyJetson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been pouring over my kernel config, and it seems like nothing (significantly) has changed... :roll:

Does anyone have any suggestions where to look? I have exhasted my own ideas already. :cry:
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you do an emerge -e system and an emerge -e world? after the upgrade.
quickshiftin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you try running $Xorg -configure. its worth a shot, and if you back up your current configuration first you wont risk breaking anything.
have you upgraded to udev from devfs (this could have happened during emerge world)? this can change the names (naming structure) of device nodes and that could be the reason your xorg.conf doesnt seem to recognize your mouse device.
have you run $etc-update since emerge world?
if not that is something you will need to do to get udev working properly. also make sure to overwrite the old udev config when running etc-update
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: