emerge terminates when sshclient is closed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epsilon_da
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: emerge terminates when sshclient is closed Reply with quote

hi, im not sure if this is the right place to post this, but the installation process suport install via ssh, so:

when ever i am installing something via ssh using the client putty for windows and i give it a list of packages which will take lots and lots of time, i need to close the client to shutdown my computer, but when i do that, the emerging process closes too, so i need to have opened the client to successfully install anything.

i want to tell portage to emerge a list of package (or maybe update my world), close the client, and tomorrow open some log file, and check for errors or whatever.

thanks.
think4urs11
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you want to read http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Using_screen and (for the next time) use the power i need to know about gives :wink:
mmbrothers
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try screen or nohup.

Nohup is the more simple of the two approaches. It will simply allow you to disconnect while a process started with nohup continues to run. Read man nohup.

Screen is a complete terminal environment, it may be overkill for what you need but it is more flexible than nohup. It can keep history, allow you to reconnect to a session, and much more. Again, read man screen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: