Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belandrew
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forever wrote:
I emerged ktorrent few minutes ago (stable one) and it even doesn't start - it crashes immediatelly. I stay with azureus.

That's why I recommended to use the "unstable" version. The 1.0 version was frankly awful - labeled 1.0 too prematurely in my opinion. Though it's marked unstable in portage, 1.2 has proved far more stable and useful. Gentoo is funny that way sometimes.

It still doesn't have the featureset of Azureus, but I never used those extra features anyway, and Azureus was so bloated. If you want the most possible features, ktorrent is definitely not a good choice. I really only care about handling multiple downloads at once and being fairly efficient. I have simple needs :)
forever
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps - for now I'm fully satisfied with azureus client and I will follow the old technicians' saying: don't repair something which is NOT broken :>
Or other one: "better" is always an enemy of "good" :)
yakapiece
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been completely happy with Azureus. I would rather something in gtk/qt - even a good command prompt where I could drop the torrent into a directory and in a day or two have what I need. Azureus was never stable, I would leave a workstation running 80+ days and Azureus would crash numerous times... however, its the best I've found in portage.
djpearman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Azureus for quite a while, but disliked its dependence on Java and the huge demand on system resources.

Switched to KTorrent 2 months ago and am loving it. I just like it's simplicity, the integrated search and the small system resource usage. It's still being developed and as such doesn't really deserve 1.x status, but it works for me (on 4 different machines). And my not-so-powerful system is still usable while I'm bittorrenting :)
yakapiece
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it still depends on kde libraries. For those who run kde thats not bad, but those that are -gnome -kde might shy away.
lovedaddy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Mine Reply with quote

Desktop usage - KTorrent
Shell / Cli - rtorrent

I love them!
forever
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check rtorrent - that can be good:) I like console programs
tsunam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revertex wrote:
@tsunam

Nice job, i'm using the latest rufus ebuild from your website, works great here (amd64), but i'm not sure if it's the perfect azureus replacement.
i've got a few questions:

is there a trayicon?
    how can i get rid of the flickering?
    why phyton eats so much RAM?
    why in hell it isn't in portage yet?

Conky show python using about 11% of 786 RAM, it's more than java eats when running azureus.

speed is great, i've full control about my torrents, cpu use is barely noticeable.

Rufus is a nice featured program, a serious azureus competitor.

I have no doubt that for all ppl that complain about azureus rufus is the way.

There should be a trayicon. I need to install rufus on my dev machine that has gnome, and a dock so that I can see that it in fact doesn't work (another dev that was testing for me a while ago didn't mention a missing tray icon, since I probably forgot to mention it).

I've noticed that python does seem to eat a good bit. However when I close rufus, I only drop about 40-50 meg afterwords. So I'm not sure if its rufus or something else related that's using so much ram. I'll see if I can track it.

The flickering is something that's been there since I've used rufus. Its something I'm going to look into and try to remove from happening, it can be annoying.

Its not in portage yet because I've been doing security bugs/working lots of hours. Glad to see people want it in the tree.
direwolf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhaamu wrote:

I very much like BitTornado and rtorrent for my torrenting needs. BitTornado (as well as the original BitTorrent) can run in console with multiple simultaneous downloads using the btlaunchmanycurses.py frontend (although you can't set a global upload limit, only per-torrent).

I like bittornado much, too, but its dependency on wxpython has now become a problem. Since the latest version of wxpython now requires so much ludicrous stuff (kde-env alsa, qt, etc.), I'm looking to get rid of bittornado so I don't need wxpython at all. As it is, I'm stuck on an older version.
tsunam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

direwolf wrote:
hhaamu wrote:

I very much like BitTornado and rtorrent for my torrenting needs. BitTornado (as well as the original BitTorrent) can run in console with multiple simultaneous downloads using the btlaunchmanycurses.py frontend (although you can't set a global upload limit, only per-torrent).

I like bittornado much, too, but its dependency on wxpython has now become a problem. Since the latest version of wxpython now requires so much ludicrous stuff (kde-env alsa, qt, etc.), I'm looking to get rid of bittornado so I don't need wxpython at all. As it is, I'm stuck on an older version.

It has no such depends directly on kde-env alsa, qt, etc...if you were to do a -t you'd probably see that its something else pulling in those applications. I'd seriously suggest looking at the use flags that you have. I'd suspect that you have installed something that in fact sets a flag as default on that's pulling in that stuff.
direwolf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsunam wrote:

It has no such depends directly on kde-env alsa, qt, etc...if you were to do a -t you'd probably see that its something else pulling in those applications. I'd seriously suggest looking at the use flags that you have. I'd suspect that you have installed something that in fact sets a flag as default on that's pulling in that stuff.

Yes, it's not bittornado itself, but wxpython (sorry, I though I mentioned that). The old version (wxpython-2.4.2.4) has no such dependencies, but the latest (2.6.1) does, probably because it now depends on "wxGTK", which in turn requires all this other stuff. And bittornado has a dependency on wxpython.
tsunam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

direwolf wrote:
tsunam wrote:

but wxpython (sorry, I though I mentioned that). The old version (wxpython-2.4.2.4) has no such dependencies, but the latest (2.6.1) does, probably because it now depends on "wxGTK", which in turn requires all this other stuff. And bittornado has a dependency on wxpython.

wxpython has wxgtk, gtk and pango if you use gtk2 or unicode, libpng jpeg tiff zlib and pyopengl if you have opengl.

Again if you look at the ebuild for wxGTK 2.6.2-r1 (which is the latest version that will go with wxpython-2.6.x, you have virtual/opengl, gtk+, glib, tiff, unixODBC (if you have the flag) and sdl-sound for x86 and amd64

The depends for kde etc are coming from somewhere else for you...again I suggest a emerge -avt wxpython to see what is pulling in all those depends that shouldn't be unless a flag for one of those depends is activated. Its not the wx* itself.
Noyan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never seen a hot app like rufus on win or lin before...awsome.

and can anyone update rufus ebuild to latest version?using 0.61 but latest is 0.7 :D
tsunam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noyan wrote:
never seen a hot app like rufus on win or lin before...awsome.

and can anyone update rufus ebuild to latest version?using 0.61 but latest is 0.7 :D

http://www.tsunam.org/files/overlay/net-p2p/rufus/

make sure to grab the patch found here http://www.tsunam.org/files/overlay/net-p2p/rufus/files/rufus-0.7.0-gentoo.patch

It'll be in the tree hopefully soon. Once I work on it instead of other x86 bugs.
Noyan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D:D:D

tnkx gettin ebuild ;)

Edit : everthing is k tnkx for the ebuild
direwolf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsunam wrote:
direwolf wrote:
tsunam wrote:

but wxpython (sorry, I though I mentioned that). The old version (wxpython-2.4.2.4) has no such dependencies, but the latest (2.6.1) does, probably because it now depends on "wxGTK", which in turn requires all this other stuff. And bittornado has a dependency on wxpython.

wxpython has wxgtk, gtk and pango if you use gtk2 or unicode, libpng jpeg tiff zlib and pyopengl if you have opengl.

Again if you look at the ebuild for wxGTK 2.6.2-r1 (which is the latest version that will go with wxpython-2.6.x, you have virtual/opengl, gtk+, glib, tiff, unixODBC (if you have the flag) and sdl-sound for x86 and amd64

The depends for kde etc are coming from somewhere else for you...again I suggest a emerge -avt wxpython to see what is pulling in all those depends that shouldn't be unless a flag for one of those depends is activated. Its not the wx* itself.

Uh... Yea, Ok. I'm not really sure how to dig in any further to figure out what's causing all these dependencies (since you say it's not the wx* stuff). Here's what I get:
Code:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[blocks B     ] <dev-python/wxpython-2.4.2.4-r1 (is blocking dev-python/wxpython-2.6.1.0)
[ebuild  NS   ] dev-python/wxpython-2.6.1.0  -gtk -gtk2 -opengl -unicode 18,019 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]  x11-libs/wxGTK-2.6.1  -debug -doc -gnome -gtk2 -joystick +odbc -opengl +sdl -unicode -wxgtk1 12,353 kB
[ebuild  N    ]   media-libs/sdl-sound-1.0.1-r1  +flac +mikmod -physfs -speex +vorbis 995 kB
[ebuild  N    ]    media-libs/libmikmod-3.1.11-r1  +alsa -esd +oss 597 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-db/qt-unixODBC-3.3.4-r1  14,101 kB
[ebuild  N    ]    media-libs/libsdl-1.2.8-r1  -X -aalib +alsa +arts -dga -directfb -esd -fbcon -ggi -libcaca -nas -noaudio -noflagstrip -nojoystick -novideo -opengl +oss -pic -svga -xinerama -xv 2,541 kB
[ebuild  N    ]     kde-base/arts-3.4.3  +alsa +arts -artswrappersuid -debug -esd -hardened -jack -kdeenablefinal +mp3 -nas +vorbis -xinerama 922 kB
[ebuild  N    ]      x11-libs/qt-3.3.4-r8  +cups -debug -doc -examples -firebird +gif -immqt -immqt-bc +ipv6 +mysql -nas +odbc -opengl -postgres +sqlite -xinerama 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ]      media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.10  -doc -jack 690 kB
[ebuild  N    ]       media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.10  2,143 kB
[ebuild  N    ]      media-libs/libmad-0.15.1b  -debug 490 kB
[ebuild  N    ]      kde-base/kde-env-3-r4  0 kB
[ebuild  N    ]      media-libs/libvorbis-1.1.0  -aotuv 1,281 kB

What should I look for? If I do a
Code:
emerge -pvt --deep =x11-libs/wxGTK-2.4.2-r2
I get:
Code:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/wxGTK-2.4.2-r2  -debug +gtk2 +odbc +opengl -unicode -wxgtk1 0 kB
direwolf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

direwolf wrote:

Uh... Yea, Ok. I'm not really sure how to dig in any further to figure out what's causing all these dependencies

Nevermind - I figured it out. Apparently the wxGTK 2.6 wants to compile with libsdl support by default, where the 2.4 doesn't (or didn't support it, or whatever). So I had to explicity exclude libsdl... It looks like that was the culprit pulling in all the other stuff.

Anyway, I've been trying out rtorrent, and I really like it! Even better than bittornado, since I can manage several torrents from the same screen.

Thanks for the tips.
bexamous2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think rtorrent is perfect, maybe it coudl be better if it would handle starting/stopping torrents based on rules (how many seeds/leechers, amount uploaded, how old it is). But other htan that it does everything I want. You need the newest (still masked) client to have it automatically load torrents put in some folder you choose. You also have to setup the session folder in the .rtorrentrc file so when you quit and reload rtorrent it starts up the previous files.
nbvcxz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Rufus 0.7.0 problem Reply with quote

I installed Rufus (previously 0.6.1) 0.7.0 and both versions give me the same erro:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/rufus/rufus.py", line 16, in ?
    import wx
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/__init__.py", line 42, in ?
    from wx._core import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 4, in ?
    import _core_
ImportError: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.6.so.0: undefined symbol: _Z14InitMouseEventI15_GdkEventMotionEvP8wxWindowR12wxMouseEventPT_

Can anybody let me know what is wrong. I would like to try some nice BT clients for Linux. I wonder if there can be a client as uTorrent for Win (extra small with gui)
direwolf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bexamous2 wrote:
You also have to setup the session folder in the .rtorrentrc file so when you quit and reload rtorrent it starts up the previous files.

I haven't tried to restart a torrent yet. Are you saying that by default it will try to start over on a torrent instead of checking for existing files? I didn't see anything about this in the man page. Where is the information about the .rtorrentrc?
tsunam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

direwolf wrote:

[ebuild N ] media-libs/sdl-sound-1.0.1-r1 +flac +mikmod -physfs -speex +vorbis 995 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libmikmod-3.1.11-r1 +alsa -esd +oss 597 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-db/qt-unixODBC-3.3.4-r1 14,101 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libsdl-1.2.8-r1 -X -aalib +alsa +arts -dga -directfb -esd -fbcon -ggi -libcaca -nas -noaudio -noflagstrip -nojoystick -novideo -opengl +oss -pic -svga -xinerama -xv 2,541 kB
[ebuild N ] kde-base/arts-3.4.3 +alsa +arts -artswrappersuid -debug -esd -hardened -jack -kdeenablefinal +mp3 -nas +vorbis -xinerama 922 kB
[ebuild N ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.4-r8 +cups -debug -doc -examples -firebird +gif -immqt -immqt-bc +ipv6 +mysql -nas +odbc -opengl -postgres +sqlite -xinerama 0 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.10 -doc -jack 690 kB
[ebuild N ] media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.10 2,143 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libmad-0.15.1b -debug 490 kB
[ebuild N ] kde-base/kde-env-3-r4 0 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libvorbis-1.1.0 -aotuv 1,281 kB
[/code]

Bingo, libsdl has +arts, which is kde's sound daemon. If you were to echo "media-libs/libsdl -arts" >> /etc/portage/package.use it would remove all those ugly kde/arts/qt depends.

But as you've fixed it another way you'll be fine.
tsunam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rufus 0.7.0 problem Reply with quote

nbvcxz wrote:
I installed Rufus (previously 0.6.1) 0.7.0 and both versions give me the same erro:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/rufus/rufus.py", line 16, in ?
    import wx
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/__init__.py", line 42, in ?
    from wx._core import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 4, in ?
    import _core_
ImportError: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.6.so.0: undefined symbol: _Z14InitMouseEventI15_GdkEventMotionEvP8wxWindowR12wxMouseEventPT_

Can anybody let me know what is wrong. I would like to try some nice BT clients for Linux. I wonder if there can be a client as uTorrent for Win (extra small with gui)

Looks like your wxpython/wxGTK is screwed up a bit. I'd suggest at least reinstalling wxGTK (doing python as well wouldn't hurt). My guess is that somewhere along the line a upgrade to python was doine and it caused problems with the shared libraries for wx*. Try reinstalling both wxPython and wxGTK and restarting rufus.
bexamous2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No next time you start rtorrent no torrents will be loaded (torrent list will be blank), you will have to manually load them again, at which time rtorrent will hash the files that it has downloaded so far and continue downloading... its just extra work to have to reload all the torrents you had running.

http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/file/trunk/rtorrent/doc/rtorrent.rc?rev=629

That is the example config... you have to create it for some reason I think.

# Default session directory. Make sure you don't run multiple instance
# of rtorrent using the same session directory. Perhaps using a
# relative path?
#session = ./session

# Watch a directory for new torrents, and stop those that have been
# deleted.
#schedule = watch_directory,5,5,load_start=./watch/*.torrent
#schedule = untied_directory,5,5,stop_untied=
lovedaddy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: dont think so Reply with quote

bexamous2 wrote:
No next time you start rtorrent no torrents will be loaded (torrent list will be blank), you will have to manually load them again, at which time rtorrent will hash the files that it has downloaded so far and continue downloading... its just extra work to have to reload all the torrents you had running.

http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/file/trunk/rtorrent/doc/rtorrent.rc?rev=629

That is the example config... you have to create it for some reason I think.

# Default session directory. Make sure you don't run multiple instance
# of rtorrent using the same session directory. Perhaps using a
# relative path?
#session = ./session

# Watch a directory for new torrents, and stop those that have been
# deleted.
#schedule = watch_directory,5,5,load_start=./watch/*.torrent
#schedule = untied_directory,5,5,stop_untied=

Well, with the watch dir you don't need to load in all the torrents by hand... it loads any that gets put in that dir, just like btlaunchmanycurses - so when it re-starts it autoloads all .torrent files.

I've got rtorrent as a screen based service. I ftp into the box, drop a load of torrents, they start downloading. If the machine gets restarted, the rtorrent service starts by default and all the torrents kick off again.
bexamous2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not going to try getting rid of the session directory but I'm pretty sure you still need it. If you don't have a session directory how will rtorrent know the progress of torrents when it loads? It will have to hash each torrent every time it starts, at least I'm pretty sure. I remember azurues always had 2 .torrent files for everything... one was .torrent one was .torrent.bak.

Well just looking at the session direcotry and the watch directory the file sizes are different.. cannot just be the same file in each.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: