Ext3 messed up! Help!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ormi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Ext3 messed up! Help! Reply with quote

It all started when wine jammed my system. Keyboard & mouse "died", so I had to press reset -button. I'm not sure, but I think this messed up my root(/)-partition. I couldn't boot to linux so I had to use gentoo-cd. I runned fsck and answerred "yes" to all questions (it tooks about 40-50min). Now there is many(!) files in /lost+found and system still doesn't work. Is it possible to recover files from /lost+found? I rather don't want to install gentoo again (my previos update also crashed during upgrade from 1.4rc1 to rc2).
Forse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sorry for ya, I really do. I heard from everyone that ext3 is rock solid...I guess I'll stick with the real FS-REISER.

Can you manually just place the files from /lost+found to place where they belong...Takes a lot of work...I guess
ormi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also heard that there is nothing to do to recover files from /lost+found. So I decided to fix my gentoo installation, because I don't want to reinstall it anymore. I booted from gentoo livecd and extracted tarball from cd. Then I did emerge system --emptytree and after that I was able to boot.

It's very hard to fix the installation, because many of libraries are missing. Gnome, KDE & fluxbox didn't work because of some missing libraries, so I had to remove all packages (which I resolved typing emerge --emptytree -p kde for e.g) and reinstall them again. Now gentoo is working poorly.
klimg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing happening with ext3 with about 80mb in lost+found.Tried to fix it for a while but never got it right and reinstalled.Now this was debian and I reinstalled about everything softwarewise.With gentoo I would just reinstall the system from scratch because if you do it you might as well do it right - takes the same time.I stay away from ext2/3 now.
ormi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klimg wrote:
I had the same thing happening with ext3 with about 80mb in lost+found.Tried to fix it for a while but never got it right and reinstalled.Now this was debian and I reinstalled about everything softwarewise.With gentoo I would just reinstall the system from scratch because if you do it you might as well do it right - takes the same time.I stay away from ext2/3 now.

I know reinstallation takes the same time (or even less time), but I want to save my configuration. The beginning was hard, but now system works quite well :).

btw, I had 300-400mb files in lost+found.
slougi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reemerge the whole system: "emerge -e deep world".
This will reinstall all packages and should sort it all out. I had a similar problem once ;) Just be sure to run "regenworld" before you do that.
ormi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I'll do it next time ;)
neilhwatson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you have to tell fsck to check for a journal (ext3). If not it seems to default to ext2.
Code:
man e2fsck

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: