wine + native directx9 = awesomeness
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rapture666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: wine + native directx9 = awesomeness Reply with quote

if you look at winehq.com they say that you can use native DLLs in place of their created ones
it also says (if you look at status) that these are supposed to be clones
looking on the net i've found that XP DLLs don't work too well
so anyone with <winME wanna give wine a try with their native DLLs, that might be all thats needed to make all them windows native apps, practically linux native apps :D
frenkel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not going to work. The native DirectX calls need to be "translated" to OpenGL, as Linux doesn't support DirectX, so using those dll's won't result in anything except errors or a crash.
rapture666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thats the point of wine, to make that directx layer. wined3d.dll.so does the translations of these "cloned" extensions into opengl.
ill take your word on it though, it seems very plausible that it will just crash
frenkel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently only the "translations" for DirectX 3 or so are implemented (could be a newer version also). DirectX 9 adds a lot of new things that need to be translated, so only a few of those functions will work. You could look at Cedega, IIRC they support DiretX 8 or so.
teidon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like frenkel said, native DirectX won't work with Wine. Wine devs needs to write their own DX implementation from scratch which takes some time because DX is strictly closed source software - Proprietary Microsoft crap.

Wine does now a days support DX9 quite nicely thanks to certain persons work, whose name I of course have forgotten. Wine's DX9 support is still far from perfect, it's lacking features, it's buggy and it's slow. DX8 support will be writen on top of DX9 support once it's in good enough state, or something like that.
kmare
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that wine doesn't support directX is not cause it's a proprietary/closed technology (it could be/is reverse engineered), but because the 3D drivers fox X on linux support the OpenGL api only. On windows the drivers (eg from nvidia or ati) give you hardware accelleration for both opengl and directx.
frenkel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmare wrote:
The reason that wine doesn't support directX is not cause it's a proprietary/closed technology (it could be/is reverse engineered), but because the 3D drivers fox X on linux support the OpenGL api only. On windows the drivers (eg from nvidia or ati) give you hardware accelleration for both opengl and directx.

What are you talking about? You honestly don't now anything about it. Reverse enginering is one of the hardest things to do and for the drivers to support DirectX there needs to be done a lot more then you think.
kmare
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly didn't say that reverse engineering is easy!!! i know it's a hard and time consuming process. And i just said that the linux drivers support only the opengl api for hardware accelleration and that's why you can't directly use the dll dx syscalls without translating them to opengl first.
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wine can use native dlls in place of its own in many cases, but not all. DirectX is one of those cases that will not produce the results you want, if you try its native dlls with Wine.

With regards to D3D, WineHQ Wine has had a ton of work put into it in the last year or so. I'd say that by the end of the year, WineHQ Wine will probably have better D3D support overall than Cedega.
rapture666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome to know
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: