Wine - Desktop Manager settings for different apps/games
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Wine - Desktop Manager settings for different apps/games Reply with quote

Hi,

Thought it was worth posting this here as there might be some Wine boffins about.

Is there any way to get seperate Wine X11 Driver settings, specifically the 'Managed' setting, for different apps? I'm running games like Deus Ex and Starcraft here on Wine (0.9.6), and have the Managed set to 'N' so the games switch to full screen and proper resolution, but the downsode of this is that the odd genuine Windows desktop app. I run under Wine isn't managed by KDE, so it can be a bit of a pain for sitting on top of things and also occupying all my virtual desktops. So for these apps, I'd like to set 'Managed' to 'Y' in winecfg or regedit.

Obviously I can do this manually before running an app/game, but I'd like to be able to set it up so I can specify what setting I want to use on a per-app basis. Is this possible?
revertex
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i don't understand you clearly, but you can use sudo to launch wine under another user account, this way you can have multiple profiles per app.
let me explain, create another users, ex:. wine_profile1, wine_profile2, wine_profile3, then lauch wine using "sudo wine_profile1 -c wine app_name", this way all wine config belong to wine_profile1 user, not your account.
Pan can help you to sudo without suply a password.
a better solution is force wine to use another config file, but dunno how to do it.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revertex wrote:
i think i don't understand you clearly, but you can use sudo to launch wine under another user account, this way you can have multiple profiles per app.
let me explain, create another users, ex:. wine_profile1, wine_profile2, wine_profile3, then lauch wine using "sudo wine_profile1 -c wine app_name", this way all wine config belong to wine_profile1 user, not your account.
Pan can help you to sudo without suply a password.
a better solution is force wine to use another config file, but dunno how to do it.

That sounds unnecessarily complex ... it's a shame Wine doesn't let you launch with a specific config file from the command line, like (e)uae, and now the config file method has been dropped altogether in favour of the Wine registry.

Another angle - is there a way of launching Wine from the command line with an argument that selects whether I want the desktop to be managed or not? The Wine docs and manpage don't really tell you much.

Actually, thinking about it, I could create a .reg file that alters the 'Managed' option in Wine's registry, then make regedit use that file to modify the registry and then run the relevant app. KDE's Program Menu can easily accomodate that in the command line for a specific Wine app. I might look into trying this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: